Page 38 of 78 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Morrison's take on Manchester Black reminded me of Spike from Buffy. He's cool and a threat but the writer's having fun taking the piss out of them.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Morrison just casually bombing in to remind that they're still the best modern Superman writer. Putting on a master class of dancing around 5G bullshit.

Great time all around and while I usually don't care much for Janin's art, he really shined here. This was a good time and Clark decidedly has some bite back to him.

Can't wait for the next issue, which is saying a lot because the premise still sounds awful in practice but works in execution given the tremendous talent of everyone involved.
    Makes me think this is the logical progression of Morrison's Action Comics Superman.

Supe's is a little rough around the edges.

He is definitely not a "aww shucks" farm boy.

Quick witted.

Believes in the greatness of humanity

Love it. Not much happened, but at the same time, a lot happened.

Morrison is really good here, they are writing a weaker Superman, but it's been some time since I've seen Superman come off this powerful.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I effing loved the start.. finally,some humour and personality...
    Clark is clearly the "knight" here,still.(Arthur's round table...right). Manchester black on the other hand clearly is the outlaw...so, hopefully some "the good,the bad and the ugly"..dynamics with ultrahumanite in toe...one of superman's oldest foes.

Also, superman putting in the work to levitate..eff!yeah!!!
    100 pushups,100 situps,100 squats every single day....
    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Morrison just casually bombing in to remind that they're still the best modern Superman writer. Putting on a master class of dancing around 5G bullshit.
    I thought the "better/finer world" is from 5g and the story has "Kennedy" doomed/clark being bleak .So,the future generations did have to fight..it tied into everything the current direction is going for with jon..
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 07-20-2021 at 10:38 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

And, just like that, Morrison shows everyone how it's done.

That's how you write a great Superman comic. Looking forward to seeing how all this plays out.

Have we ever figured out who this Superman is? Young Future State Superman? Unrelated Elseworlds Superman?

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Have we ever figured out who this Superman is? Young Future State Superman? Unrelated Elseworlds Superman?
    From what I understand, it's New 52 Superman. Morrison said they see this as a natural progression of what they did in the Action Comics run.

Astonishing Member

I think one of the clear differences between people like Morrison and someone like Byrne is that Morrison feels like an actual continuation of Jerry and Joe's conception of Superman where as Byrne's clearly isn't.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by manduck37 View Post
    From what I understand, it's New 52 Superman. Morrison said they see this as a natural progression of what they did in the Action Comics run.
    Ok thanks.
    So it's not the Rebirth Superman? That makes it sound like it's an Elseworlds Superman where New 52 Superman didn't die and later merge with the pre-Flashpoint Superman,
    Or am I completely misunderstanding?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Ok thanks.
    So it's not the Rebirth Superman? That makes it sound like it's an Elseworlds Superman where New 52 Superman didn't die and later merge with the pre-Flashpoint Superman,
    Or am I completely misunderstanding?
    The New 52 Superman and the Rebirth Superman did indeed merge and the post-Death Metal history now has everyone remembering all their various incarnations, so this Superman is the New 52 version, but he's also the Rebirth version, the Byrne Superman, the Pre-Crisis Superman and so on. There's no divisions between the characters anymore. He's just Superman.

That said, Morrison is clearly picking up the characterization that was used during their New 52 run.

I think he's meant to be the main continuity Superman, but the story seems to be set in the near future. What confuses me is that by the time the Action Comics run catches up with the Authority, his looks seems to revert back to the younger classic look.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I think he's meant to be the main continuity Superman, but the story seems to be set in the near future. What confuses me is that by the time the Action Comics run catches up with the Authority, his looks seems to revert back to the younger classic look.
    No wonder I'm confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    The New 52 Superman and the Rebirth Superman did indeed merge and the post-Death Metal history now has everyone remembering all their various incarnations, so this Superman is the New 52 version, but he's also the Rebirth version, the Byrne Superman, the Pre-Crisis Superman and so on. There's no divisions between the characters anymore. He's just Superman.

That said, Morrison is clearly picking up the characterization that was used during their New 52 run.
    Thanks, that does help give me some understanding, although I struggle to make sense out of how that set up works.
    And then that he's clearly older still leave me not completely convinced this is the current Supreman and not a younger alternate future Future State Superman.
    I know DC just wants us to stop worrying about continuity but it doesn't really work for me.

Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar

Thanks, that does help give me some understanding, although I struggle to make sense out of how that set up works.
    And then that he's clearly older still leave me not completely convinced this is the current Supreman and not a younger alternate future Future State Superman.
    I know DC just wants us to stop worrying about continuity but it doesn't really work for me.
    doesn't work for me either
    but slowly I'll get used to it...

Astonishing Member

This should be an ongoing.