Page 25 of 78 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575 ... LastLast

New Key Visual for the Tokyo Mew Mew reboot
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Is this another case of first anime took a lot of liberties and had too much filler and the wrong ending?
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Awesome! Looking forward to it! Hopefully, it'll be as entertaining as its predecessor:

G kids releasing weathering with you is back in american theatres july 24 to 27.

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/...-With-You-2021

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Hmm! I've never seen the original version, so I might give this a view. After dark, bloody and violent decontructions of magical girl anime (Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Magical Girl Raising Project), this show could be a welcome palate cleanser for the genre.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 07-25-2021 at 03:03 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Question

So, a friend bought me a year-long subscription to the Funimation App as a late birthday gift. In the last two weeks, I've binge-watched My Hero Academia, OG Dragon Ball, and I'm currently watching Black Lagon. I think I might watch Ranma 1/2 next (I'm not sure though as I'm unaware if Funimation has it dubbed or subbed in its entirety). Does anyone have any recommendations for others things I could watch on the app? Keep in mind I prefer dubs to subs because I can plow through them much quicker if I decide to binge-watch a TV series or movie series.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I'm more familiar with crunchyroll but I have Hulu which has a lot of the same content as Funimation.

Here's my suggestions if you haven't seen them.

Cowboy Bebop-classic, stylish anime about a group of Bounty Hunters and their adventures around the solar system. Well animated for the late 90's especially.

Fairy Tail-Long-running anime about a guild of magic users, although mainly focuses on five of them. The series starts out kind of simple but it's mythology gets more complicated as it goes on. This one has a ton of episodes so it might take a while to finish it.

Gurren Lagann-Gainax show, another unconventional take on the mecha genre but far different from Evangelion, at least in tone.

Kill La Kill-Starts as a school tournament fighting anime, but eventually shifts it's tone to something like Marvel's symbiote stuff.

Martian Successor Nadesico-Sort of Eva/Gundam "lite", a sort of semi-serious parody of the mecha genre.

Gundam The Origin: Advent of the Red Comet-TV series reedit of the OAV/movie series which is a prequel to Mobile Suit Gundam.

Mobile Suit Gundam-The mecha classic which pretty much changed the genre. Animation is archaic by today's standards (Great character designs still IMO).

Gundam Seed-Follows many of the same story beats as classic Gundam, but with a lot more Gundams and a story about two friends who find themselves on opposite sides of the war.

Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans-Fairly new Gundam series, this one has more of a Mars setting, and the Gundams don't use beam weapons.

Gundam Unicorn-OAV series that's a semi-sequel to Char's counterattack.

Tenchi Muyo-This one has various series and movies available; it's sort of a "harem" anime about a young man who gets stuck with a group of alien women; but also has a lot of interesting sci-fi elements. This was very popular in the late 90's.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    So, a friend bought me a year-long subscription to the Funimation App as a late birthday gift. In the last two weeks, I've binge-watched My Hero Academia, OG Dragon Ball, and I'm currently watching Black Lagon. I think I might watch Ranma 1/2 next (I'm not sure though as I'm unaware if Funimation has it dubbed or subbed in its entirety). Does anyone have any recommendations for others things I could watch on the app? Keep in mind I prefer dubs to subs because I can plow through them much quicker if I decide to binge-watch a TV series or movie series.
    Since you have Funimation & don't mind the classics, then I would highly recommend...

YuYu Hakusho

Thanks for the recommendations people.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I will second Fairy Tail. I'll also suggest Black Clover, but it takes about 5 episodes before you don't want to kill the main character and can actually begin to like him.

Assassination Classroom is on Hulu, so I would think also on Funimation. First episode, you will either like it, or be "eh." Two season limited run.

Rising of the Shield Hero is on Crunchyroll, so again, I'm assuming on Funimation. Really good.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post

Gurren Lagann-Gainax show, another unconventional take on the mecha genre but far different from Evangelion, at least in tone.
    I will also second Gurren, but man, I will say, almost watched it subbed over dubbed. The guy doing the voice for one of the main character completely missed the mark. Kamina is loud and full of himself in the subbed version and the dubbed version, the guy sounds like a weak, mild mannered man.

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

I should mention that Lagaan and Kill La Kill are pretty much done by the same group, although GL was when they were at Gainax, and Kill La Kill is when they were their own studio.

Both series also radically change at the half-way point.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Ultimate Member

I hadn't watched a lot of The 7 Deadly Sins but after I did I noticed how BIG of a perv Meliodis is, though Elizabeth doesn't exactly seem against much of it either if any of it. Then I can't tell if Ban is serious about not knowing whether Jericho is a woman or not or just messing with her, and Gowther is another topic entirely, he/she/it is an interesting character...

All-New Member

New episodes of That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime have started airing on Crunchyroll if people are looking for Isekai (person transported to a fantasy World) anime.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    I hadn't watched a lot of The 7 Deadly Sins but after I did I noticed how BIG of a perv Meliodis is, though Elizabeth doesn't exactly seem against much of it either if any of it. Then I can't tell if Ban is serious about not knowing whether Jericho is a woman or not or just messing with her, and Gowther is another topic entirely, he/she/it is an interesting character...
    There is more to the story behind Meliodis and Elizabeth but Season 4.

Then Season 5 happened and I'm not sure what happened there.