Page 90 of 110 FirstFirst ... 4080868788899091929394100 ... LastLast
Results 1,336 to 1,350 of 1641
    Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    Quicksilver is another name for mercury. Here's one of the definitions for the adjective "mercurial":

4. Quick and changeable in temperament; volatile: a mercurial nature.

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/mercurial

I could quote Shakespeare here, but this post is already as presumptions as it gets, so I'll spare you this time, Lucy. :P
    No please do it Soul, I love quotes

I do think Pietro should always be temperamental, mercuarial and volatile, thatīs always been part of his character, I just want to see a great solo story for him
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    No please do it Soul, I love quotes :)

I do think Pietro should always be temperamental, mercuarial and volatile, thatīs always been part of his character, I just want to see a great solo story for him :D
    It was a silly joke:

“What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.”

Well, Bill, Pietro would still be as temperamental if he had a different codename, but it wouldn't be as appropriate. Or cool. :P

I agree about this temperament. I wouldn't want him to become calmer, even as he becomes more mature. Just more controlled.

A solo would be fun. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Idk if that's true. A lot of characters don't really have standout stories. Scott Lang doesn't, as far as I know. Idk if Natasha Romanov does either. So Idk if that's really a factor
    To me, Scott Lang is important for a very important reason: The Young Avengers. From what I understand his daughter plays a pretty huge role in that group, and you kinda need Scott to bring her into the picture. Scott's and Cassie's relationship is key to those Ant-Man movies. With Natasha, you sorta need her to bring Yelena on board. Not sure if the new Black Widow will join the Young Avengers, but I wouldn't be surprised if she did. I think Yelena' Black Widow will be key to Kate Bishop's development and might help integrate Daredevil into the MCU (by replacing Natasha). So you need Natasha there as well. Quicksilver COULD have introduced Tommy in his own solo project, but I think Marvel Studios was content to let Wanda and Vision do it because Billy and Tommy are their kids. I believe a lot of the shows and movies in Phase 4 are about passing torches (I think Secret Invasion, Armor Wars, She-Hulk, Loki, WandaVision, Black Widow, Thor 4, Ant-Man 3, and possibly Spider-Man 3 are sort of hinting in that direction). I also think whoever Marvel Studios is casting as older Tommy will be WAY cheaper than Evan Peters or ATJ. I just can't figure how they're gonna have TWO Maximoff speedsters in the MCU going forward. Believe me I've tried, but I don't think they're gonna do it. That's why I'm in favor of giving Pietro "content" to Tommy.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    It was a silly joke:

“What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.”

Well, Bill, Pietro would still be as temperamental if he had a different codename, but it wouldn't be as appropriate. Or cool. :P

I agree about this temperament. I wouldn't want him to become calmer, even as he becomes more mature. Just more controlled.

A solo would be fun.
    Thank you lest hope his solo happens some day.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Thank you lest hope his solo happens some day.
    Here here!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

I would say Steven Englehart was the main person guilty of reducing Pietro to his relationship with Wanda and a hateful opponent of Vision and their relationship, we can thank his influence to explain why Pietroīs characterization always gets the reset buttom when he interacts with Wanda on any Avengers team, with maybe the sole exception of Busiekīs run who started to question why Pietro doesnīt have deeper relationships with other Avengers besides Wanda and Crystal and even his old ones like Cap and Haweye are just once on a decade done.

On the X-side Peter David introduced great concepts for the character like why is he always so temperamental, because most things to him look slow all the time,heīs like Thing in that he canīt turn off his perception of other people even on down time and that can affect anybody on their daily lives but Pad didnīt give him yet any standout story of his own. The closest I can think of was that time he worked for Evolutionary but it was not very well written so it didnīt stand out on itīs own. So Yes I definitely agree he needs more solo stories not related to his inmediate family, some heroic story.
    I don't think Englehart hated Quicksilver. I think he didn't know what to do with Pietro, and tried to make him compelling in his own way. But the years he wrote him I think really damaged his reputation. Most comic book readers think he's an ******* now. I also thought his hot-headedness was somewhat related to his "father" Magneto. Which is a reason I'm not a huge fan of their association. Sometimes Wanda treats him unfairly too. If I found out my brother's wife was stepping out on him, I would have supported my bro all the way. But I felt like Wanda didn't really do that. In any case, if he had a classic story (the Flashes have had several over at DC), Marvel Studios wouldn't have whacked him so early on. Sucks that all the Avengers from the first three phases are getting projects, and Pietro gets NONE!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Yeah but Wanda & Billy's powers are vastly different in a lot of ways. And their both their own people in ways I can't say the same for T & P. While Tommy has other powers besides Speed much like Pietro he struggles to stand out as it is & their personalities at least in comics is damn near the same why replicate & pay another actor for something you're already getting with 1.
    Isn't that because the comics don't do enough with Wiccan?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    To me, Scott Lang is important for a very important reason: The Young Avengers. From what I understand his daughter plays a pretty huge role in that group, and you kinda need Scott to bring her into the picture. Scott's and Cassie's relationship is key to those Ant-Man movies. With Natasha, you sorta need her to bring Yelena on board. Not sure if the new Black Widow will join the Young Avengers, but I wouldn't be surprised if she did. I think Yelena' Black Widow will be key to Kate Bishop's development and might help integrate Daredevil into the MCU (by replacing Natasha). So you need Natasha there as well. Quicksilver COULD have introduced Tommy in his own solo project, but I think Marvel Studios was content to let Wanda and Vision do it because Billy and Tommy are their kids. I believe a lot of the shows and movies in Phase 4 are about passing torches (I think Secret Invasion, Armor Wars, She-Hulk, Loki, WandaVision, Black Widow, Thor 4, Ant-Man 3, and possibly Spider-Man 3 are sort of hinting in that direction). I also think whoever Marvel Studios is casting as older Tommy will be WAY cheaper than Evan Peters or ATJ. I just can't figure how they're gonna have TWO Maximoff speedsters in the MCU going forward. Believe me I've tried, but I don't think they're gonna do it. That's why I'm in favor of giving Pietro "content" to Tommy.
    But that doesn't really have to do with how those characters are portrayed in the comics. Yelena Belova has nothing to do with the Young Avengers at all IIRC, and isn't even really an important character. Pietro could've introduced Luna, for instance, but that wasn't in Marvel's plans. But even he's much more relevant to Young Avengers than Black Widow ever was

Plus, Thor doesn't seem to be passing it on to any younger heroes in the MCU

Yelena Belova is gonna be on whatever team Valentina is setting up. Which also consists of US Agent. So most likely Dark Avengers or Thunderbolts. YA is something separate.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

I don't think Englehart hated Quicksilver. I think he didn't know what to do with Pietro, and tried to make him compelling in his own way. But the years he wrote him I think really damaged his reputation. Most comic book readers think he's an ******* now. I also thought his hot-headedness was somewhat related to his "father" Magneto. Which is a reason I'm not a huge fan of their association. Sometimes Wanda treats him unfairly too. If I found out my brother's wife was stepping out on him, I would have supported my bro all the way. But I felt like Wanda didn't really do that. In any case, if he had a classic story (the Flashes have had several over at DC), Marvel Studios wouldn't have whacked him so early on. Sucks that all the Avengers from the first three phases are getting projects, and Pietro gets NONE!
    I like Englehartīs writting and I donīt know his feelings for Pietro, what I do know is that he wrote him as a villain for the Avengers and a personal foil for Wanda and Visionīs relationship for years while other writers tried to change this by saying he was being mind controlled all the time. Still this definitely had an effect on Pietroīs character as well as Englehartīs long time run on Avengers titles and he was such an important writer for the Avengers that others writers have taken his version of Pietro as the definitive one, so much that Whedon, who was a big Vision and Wanda shipper, gave this argument as a way to explain why he decided to kill ATJ Pietro early, it was his way of cleaning the path towards Vision and Wanda "happy ending". I agree with you Wanda taking Crystal side after her cheating of Pietro was weird and something I think he probably should be brought between them when they interact imo.

I think Pietro always has been temperamental and impulsive, way before the retcon of Magneto being his father so I think PAD explanation is great, that he canīt turn off his powers so he sees everybody around him being slow, all day, every day and this plays right into his impulsive and impatient side. Magneto is also temeperamental but not the same way Pietro is. I donīt think his temperament is bad on itīs own,itīs something that gives him his own personality and when written well, plays off well with Wandaīs more introspective nature and thanks to PAD is something he has been working on for years, itīs just that new readers and writers tend to forget this about him.

So I just think he needs his own solo story in comics and I hope Feige has a story for him on the MCU with either Peters version or ATJ one.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 09-25-2021 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    But that doesn't really have to do with how those characters are portrayed in the comics. Yelena Belova has nothing to do with the Young Avengers at all IIRC, and isn't even really an important character. Pietro could've introduced Luna, for instance, but that wasn't in Marvel's plans. But even he's much more relevant to Young Avengers than Black Widow ever was

Plus, Thor doesn't seem to be passing it on to any younger heroes in the MCU
    Maybe Yelena will join the Young Avengers, maybe she won't. But it's very likely that she WILL have ties with Kate Bishop (who I understand is a really important Young Avenger). So there will be connections. And while perhaps Yelena isn't an important hero, she can EASILY take Natasha's stories from the comics and incorporate them into her character's arc in the MCU. They're both Russian spies. Interchangeable to a certain extent. Sort of like Rhodey replacing Stark in Armor Wars. War Machine is literally incorporating Iron Man's most important story from the comic books and making it his own in the MCU. Rhodey and Stark are both dudes who wear metal suits. Again somewhat interchangeable. I can see Thor being replaced by Beta Ray Bill somewhere down the line. And Beta Ray Bill can make some of Thor's stories as his own if he does. Actors/actresses can't play characters for twenty years, so I don't mind similar characters from the comic books "sharing" stories. I don't wanna see exact one-to-one adaptations from the source material. That's SO boring. Why watch the movies/shows when you can read the comic books then? I like it how the MCU continues to diverge from the comics while still remaining true to the characters and stories. Pietro indeed could have introduced Luna and that would have been fun (but I could easily done without Pietro's and Crystal's toxic relationship), but obviously that wasn't in the cards. I would have enjoyed seeing that, to be honest. I agree with journey. Sad to say, but I kinda gave up on any Quicksilver coming back after WandaVision. That was the PERFECT opportunity to bring him back. But it didn't happen unfortunately. I want Pietro's legacy to live on in Tommy. I believe in teapartyofthedead when she says she thinks that there's a lot of potential in Tommy.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 09-25-2021 at 06:22 PM.

Maybe Yelena will join the Young Avengers, maybe she won't. But it's very likely that she WILL have ties with Kate Bishop (who I understand is a really important Young Avenger).
    She's not. They already set her up for joining Valentina's team. Whatever ties she has to Kate is by proxy of Clint. And her reason for going after Clint is she thinks he killed Natasha. Kate is really a by stander in the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    She's not. They already set her up for joining Valentina's team. Whatever ties she has to Kate is by proxy of Clint. And her reason for going after Clint is she thinks he killed Natasha. Kate is really a by stander in the situation.
    But it's very likely that Kate will have some interaction with Yelena. That would connect whatever team Yelena's team is part of with the Young Avengers (although it might not be much of a connection). All I'm saying is that in order for Yelena to show up in the Hawkeye series, she needed to be in the Black Widow movie. That's part of the reason Natasha got her own solo project. I think Marvel Studios thought they only needed Wanda and Vision to introduce Tommy, and cut out MCU Pietro completely from the story. I really REALLY disagreed with that decision. But I understand that Disney probably wanted to bank off the success of the Fox version of the character and tease mutants and multiverses in WandaVision to drive up ratings. And it worked. If ATJ returned as a "construct", then yes, Pietro would have been Tommy's uncle. That would have been awesome. But the ratings probably wouldn't have been as great. I wasn't hoping for a solo Quicksilver project. I was hoping he could have a decent role in WandaVision. But that train has left the station. Which is why I'm putting my hopes into Tommy Maximoff. I think it's a bit ridiculous going forward Billy and Tommy will have Ralph Bohner as their "uncle", however. Like journey said, if Pietro is not coming back, what's so wrong in cheering on another Maximoff speedster? It's definitely not my preferred situation, but I totally accept it.

But it's very likely that Kate will have some interaction with Yelena. That would connect whatever team Yelena's team is part of with the Young Avengers (although it might not be much of a connection). All I'm saying is that in order for Yelena to show up in the Hawkeye series, she needed to be in the Black Widow movie. That's part of the reason Natasha got her own solo project. I think Marvel Studios thought they only needed Wanda and Vision to introduce Tommy, and cut out MCU Pietro completely from the story. I really REALLY disagreed with that decision. But I understand that Disney probably wanted to bank off the success of the Fox version of the character and tease mutants and multiverses in WandaVision to drive up ratings. And it worked. If ATJ returned as a "construct", then yes, Pietro would have been Tommy's uncle. That would have been awesome. But the ratings probably wouldn't have been as great. I wasn't hoping for a solo Quicksilver project. I was hoping he could have a decent role in WandaVision. But that train has left the station. Which is why I'm putting my hopes into Tommy Maximoff. I think it's a bit ridiculous going forward Billy and Tommy will have Ralph Bohner as their "uncle", however. Like journey said, if Pietro is not coming back, what's so wrong in cheering on another Maximoff speedster? It's definitely not my preferred situation, but I totally accept it.
    Ralph Bohner is not their uncle. He was just a guy that was manipulated by Agatha. He's gone back to his regular life.

I think the decision to get rid of Pietro was done by Whedon long ago. And probably was never linked to Tommy. Because if they were going by replacements, they'd have also killed off Wanda so Billy could take her place.

Ultimate Member

Maybe Yelena will join the Young Avengers, maybe she won't. But it's very likely that she WILL have ties with Kate Bishop (who I understand is a really important Young Avenger). So there will be connections. And while perhaps Yelena isn't an important hero, she can EASILY take Natasha's stories from the comics and incorporate them into her character's arc in the MCU. They're both Russian spies. Interchangeable to a certain extent. Sort of like Rhodey replacing Stark in Armor Wars. War Machine is literally incorporating Iron Man's most important story from the comic books and making it his own in the MCU. Rhodey and Stark are both dudes who wear metal suits. Again somewhat interchangeable. I can see Thor being replaced by Beta Ray Bill somewhere down the line. And Beta Ray Bill can make some of Thor's stories as his own if he does. Actors/actresses can't play characters for twenty years, so I don't mind similar characters from the comic books "sharing" stories. I don't wanna see exact one-to-one adaptations from the source material. That's SO boring. Why watch the movies/shows when you can read the comic books then? I like it how the MCU continues to diverge from the comics while still remaining true to the characters and stories. Pietro indeed could have introduced Luna and that would have been fun (but I could easily done without Pietro's and Crystal's toxic relationship), but obviously that wasn't in the cards. I would have enjoyed seeing that, to be honest. I agree with journey. Sad to say, but I kinda gave up on any Quicksilver coming back after WandaVision. That was the PERFECT opportunity to bring him back. But it didn't happen unfortunately. I want Pietro's legacy to live on in Tommy. I believe in teapartyofthedead when she says she thinks that there's a lot of potential in Tommy.
    Idk if anyone's asking for 1 to 1 adaptation. But when the changes are worse, people should complain. The 'I can just read the comics' is a a fallacy IMO. To some extent, I watch these movies to see familiar characters be adapted. I'm open to improvements but they actually have to be improvements (like dumping secret identities) and not like wasting Pietro

I agree WandaVision would've been a good place to bring him back