Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

The only design I'm not feeling right now is Athena's. I'm good with all the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    The only design I'm not feeling right now is Athena's. I'm good with all the rest.
    Athena is the one that looks like a statue? With the floating head, right?

Really hard to beat Meg Foster as Hera.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I know some want less of the Gods in WW while others are fine with them.....should a writer try to take a more....Lucifer/American Gods approach? Where they appear more casual in the human world and less divine (apart from their powers)

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Really hard to beat Meg Foster as Hera.
    Dem eyes!

If the problem is the Gods appearing too much or too little in WW stories then I don't think that can be fixed by having them wear different looks. Although I agree that the Gods should be changing their appearance based on mood.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

If the problem is the Gods appearing too much or too little in WW stories then I don't think that can be fixed by having them wear different looks. Although I agree that the Gods should be changing their appearance based on mood.
    I think some have a harder time connecting to the more fantastical elements that are a bit over the top. Bringing that down to a more "realistic" that keeps Diana in a more grounded world may help some.

Yeah the problems I have with how much Greek Gods appear in Wonder Woman stories have nothing to do with their appearance.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

How about supporting cast she can talk to without having anything to do with the plot?

Artemis, Demeter, and Hades from Black and Gold, 80th Anniversary one shot, and JL Infinity

How would you guys interpret the Medusa and Arachne myths in the context of the WW verse since those myths paint Athena in the worst possible light?

How would you guys interpret the Medusa and Arachne myths in the context of the WW verse since those myths paint Athena in the worst possible light?
    Well, depends on which version of the myth you use, but also none of the gods was universally good or bad. They all did both good and bad, though some were more benevolent than others.

If I was to do it, I'd probably go for an angle focusing on the idea that neither party was "innocent". Also play with the idea that myths are distorted accounts, and probably not scrutinize the details too much. Unless the details are the focus of the story.

Yeah, my pitch would be something like:

-Arachne was turned to a spider to protect her from the wrath of Zeus and Posiedon since the weaving she made would have offended them as well and their punishments would have been considerably less harsh.

-Medusa. The Gorgons predate Medusa. So the Gorgons are a race and some of them worshiped Athena who gave them human like appearances. Medusa did try to betray Athena by working with Poseidon but did not expect him to force himself on her in Athena's temple. Athena gave her her Gorgon appearance back to drive away Poseidon but had to banish her for her attempted betrayal. Her death by Perseus was to spare her the pain of giving birth to Posiedon's children and she lives on in Athena's shield.

Ovid and Ares were best buds and the latter distorted these stories to make Athena look bad and himself look good.

There are versions of the texts that don't paint Athena in such a bad light, so the Wonderverse could use those interpretations.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    There are versions of the texts that don't paint Athena in such a bad light, so the Wonderverse could use those interpretations.
    Rucka kind of already used one of the earlier versions in his first run. Medusa wasn't meant to be sympathetic in the older stories, so since he wanted to use her as a villain, I imagine that's why he went with it. And Medusa makes an awesome villain.

The Ovid versions of events could be an interesting thing for the WW comics to explore, but any writer who brings it up would have to be prepared to sever any positive ties Diana has to Athena. Because there is no way you can have Diana worship a goddess who punished a rape victim.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Well, depends on which version of the myth you use, but also none of the gods was universally good or bad. They all did both good and bad, though some were more benevolent than others.

If I was to do it, I'd probably go for an angle focusing on the idea that neither party was "innocent". Also play with the idea that myths are distorted accounts, and probably not scrutinize the details too much. Unless the details are the focus of the story.
    They weren't good or bad, there was no such thing in Greek stories of the time. They were powerful, and they did what they wanted. Sometimes they helped you, sometimes they didn't. It depended on whether you were doing something they liked or not. There was no moral obligation for them to treat you with kindness.

Ancient Greek Heroes weren't "kind" either, they were brave. They were the people able to defy the gods and get away with it, for a little while anyway.