Page 23 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: The Batman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the fight choreography in the Nolan films was terrible. I understand it was a more realistic take, and that both Nolan and Bale wanted a fighting style that would be used to fight multiple opponents at once. And maybe that style would do that. But it sucked cinematically.

Say what you want about Snyder's Batman, but his fights felt like it came right out of the comic book (except for, you know, the whole killing people part

When Batman was straight walking down the hall while getting hit with multiple rounds from machine guns and not flinching, it really made me think of Deathstroke on Arrow. He must buy his armor from the same person.
    Actually the criticism of the fight scenes in the Nolan movies are pretty common. In fact it is one of the two top common criticism of Nolan that his fights in his comic films were not that great and his movies often lack emotional human depth even though all the film technicalities are perfectly put together. When Inception came out in 2010, many praised the fact that his fight choreography had improved from Begins and TDK but they felt again in 2012 TDKR , he took another step back.

Fights scenes in general are just not Nolan's thing and I dont think you will find anyone , despite any dislike of the Zack Snyder films that Snyder was not the far better director with fight chorography to Nolan. So yeah, it is a common criticism of Nolan, every director had some weakness and those where his.

As for the trailer, I am also beginning to think much about it, again I still think the movie will end up been a quality work , but this trailer could have been more earth stopping in a comic bookie fanatic geek sense. I remember where I was when I first saw Logan and The Joker Trailers. Those trailers moved me, I was expecting that kind of reaction for myself with The Batman and I guess that is why I feel so disappointed that I did not get that from this trailer.

I also feel maybe the trailer's cutting could have been better with Zoe Kravitz in particular. I am not 100% feeling her acting as Selina/Catwoman, Cannot say how great of an actress she is in general because I have not watched most of her films but if I am going from this trailer alone, she is trailing behind Michelle Pfeiffer and Ann Hataway. I just hope Zoe does not end up in a January Jones Emma Frost X-MEN First Class Kind of situation.
    Last edited by Castle; 10-17-2021 at 11:29 AM.

Trailer looks good to me. Ironic story i showed the trailer to my sister who loves the batman films other then bvs and she hated the trailer and screaming angry batman. I explained it's "year 2" and batman has not got his temper in check but she hated "screaming emo" batman. Ouch! Dang. (she saw both trailers and the angry batman put her off of the film.)

I thought the trailer was fine myself. Giving me the video game version vibes. The end with the upside down car felt just like a scene from the games.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 10-17-2021 at 07:34 AM.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

I’ll agree with the folks who say it’s all very expected. Might’ve been nice to see a different perspective, but this is the safe choice and I’m sure it’ll do well. The emo part didn’t big me. Any story that deals with Batman’s early life is always emo, regardless of his hairstyle or makeup. It’s the foundation of his character.

I enjoyed this trailer but i preferred the first trailer more. It just had this moody atmosphere I dug.

Oh well...I'm still excited for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    As for the trailer, I am also beginning to think much about it, again I still think the movie will end up been a quality work , but this trailer could have been more earth stopping in a comic bookie fanatic geek sense. I remember where I was when I first saw Logan and The Joker Trailers. Those trailers moved me, I was expecting that kind of reaction for myself with The Batman and I guess that is why I feel so disappointed that I did not get that from this trailer.

I also feel maybe the trailer's cutting could have been better with Zoe Kravitz in particular. I am not 100% feeling her acting as Selina/Catwoman, Cannot say how great of an actress she is in general because I have not watched most of her films but if I am going from this trailer alone, she is trailing behind Michelle Pfeiffer and Ann Hataway. I just hope Zoe does not end up in a January Jones Emma Frost X-MEN First Class Kind of situation.

See, I wonder how much of the post-production on this movie is done. I think they only recently wrapped filming, and this trailer could have bee a case of 'let's take what's finished, add a bit more, and make a trailer out of it.'

The great- and terrible- thing about Fandome is that it gives you a sneak peek of what's to come, but it can't always give you a polished, professional look. Which can then effect how you feel about the project.

For me, I'll take the unpolished trailer to get a sense of what's to come, but I'll hold off on making any real judgements for myself until I see a final trailer, usually in theaters.

Saw the trailer, thought it looked pretty good. I seem to be in the minority here, though.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Here is where this whole bit falters...

If one were to actually look at this from an "Objective..." film making point of view being informed by a love of comics?

There is no way that the scene where he is being fired on a close range and everyone but him winds up down is not objectively the equal of The Joker and easily better than Logan.

Never mind the shot of Batman walking up to a crashed car that is framed so that he is upside down.

Again, The Joker's equal and easily better than Logan.

When Batman was straight walking down the hall while getting hit with multiple rounds from machine guns and not flinching, it really made me think of Deathstroke on Arrow. He must buy his armor from the same person.
    LOL I was thinking the same thing.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Here is where this whole bit falters...

If one were to actually look at this from an "Objective..." film making point of view being informed by a love of comics?

There is no way that the scene where he is being fired on a close range and everyone but him winds up down is not objectively the equal of The Joker and easily better than Logan.

Never mind the shot of Batman walking up to a crashed car that is framed so that he is upside down.

Again, The Joker's equal and easily better than Logan.

From the Joker and The Logan trailers, they felt like very Genuine Oscar worthy type of films. I did not get that from this trailer and that is what I wanted from The Batman, despite their different sub genre of comic films.

Please send these kind of replies to someone who is more up for a debate with lacking substance disguised under superficial jigsaw puzzles of emptiness where comparing one action scene and multiple gun shot fires from a trailer is enough to define a film's overall substance. lol

I cannot say for fact it is in the same lines of Joker or Logan or better or worse than those films, since I will have to wait till march 2022 to give a verdict , However I can say the trailer was not as good as the Logan and Joker first trailers and that blows. Please remember we are talking and comparing trailers, not the films itself.

See, I wonder how much of the post-production on this movie is done. I think they only recently wrapped filming, and this trailer could have bee a case of 'let's take what's finished, add a bit more, and make a trailer out of it.'

The great- and terrible- thing about Fandome is that it gives you a sneak peek of what's to come, but it can't always give you a polished, professional look. Which can then effect how you feel about the project.

For me, I'll take the unpolished trailer to get a sense of what's to come, but I'll hold off on making any real judgements for myself until I see a final trailer, usually in theaters.
    Yes, this movie may still go through many changes, I would not be surprised if this trailer is not the final yet since it does look unpolished, it feels as if the cinematography needs one may layer of sharper and clearer color grading and clean ups, it does look like a diamond in the rough, hence why I said it may need some clean ups. I can see this happening because of WB track record of having very good technical films. Denis Villeneuve's Dune so far seems to be their latest triumph. Also Matt Reeves last movie final trailer got more polished and the actual film was amazing to watch on screen.

I feel this Apes trailer showed more impressive film and cinematic range than The Batman and that is the standard I am grading things on.

Now I know Apes and Batman are obviously different genres of films and will need different film directing styles, but Apes looked more impressive in its own genre than the Batman does in its own genre, even if they are the same director, so again I think as time goes on, The Batman will get more polished and the end result has a high chance of been as amazing as Rise of the Planet of the Apes was.
    Last edited by Castle; 10-17-2021 at 01:10 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Saw the trailer, thought it looked pretty good. I seem to be in the minority here, though.
    Nah. Us comics nerds are hyper critical and we tend to forget that Batman's been mainstream for over 2 decades now.

I thought it was pretty well done myself.

I think this is a legit take on the character and world. They are going with the mobster version of Penguin (and by now I guess that is the standard version of the character).

It also looks like Selina is wearing the biker outfit she wore in the early 2000's.

The fight scenes seem to be better than Nolan's which might not be saying much since everything is shot so dark in the trailer and Nolan wasn't good at fight scenes.

It's interesting that this movie doesn't seem to be going for a charming Bruce Wayne alter ego at all. This Bruce seems even more visibly messed up than Bale's Bruce Wayne.

And this Batman is what would happen if Jason Voorhees decided to prey on Criminals instead of Cheerleaders.

And settled for "beating senseless" instead of "murder".

Trailer looks good to me but I gotta say... I'm sick and tired of Batman being depicted as someone inches away from mental breakdown and beating criminals within an inch of their life. He's supposed to be a hero yet from this trailer he seems to be an anti-hero at best. This is the guy who took Dick in because Bruce understood his pain. Yet I can't see any compassion or empathy from Pattinson's version. I know this is just a trailer but it doesn't exactly give me hope.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    Trailer looks good to me but I gotta say... I'm sick and tired of Batman being depicted as someone inches away from mental breakdown and beating criminals within an inch of their life. He's supposed to be a hero yet from this trailer he seems to be an anti-hero at best. This is the guy who took Dick in because Bruce understood his pain. Yet I can't see any compassion or empathy from Pattinson's version. I know this is just a trailer but it doesn't exactly give me hope.
    Yeah, I'd actually like to see a more empathetic and less brutal version

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    From the reactions so far, you are not in the minority. The trailer seems to have gotten far more positive reactions than negative in more general discussions over the internet, the reactions have ranged to pretty good to great and wow. Grace Radolph even called it perfect.

I am just personally on a different kind of minority because I wanted the trailer for me to scream, Oscar Calibre Bait Kind of film and it has not given me that, that is where my disappointment is coming from, which I get is not how everyone judges a trailer. however the trailer seem to be well liked and giving off a different vibe on a general scale of another comic book film we will be watching among the 100s.
    Last edited by Castle; 10-17-2021 at 12:39 PM.

BANNED

I was right on the mark as usual about some of the issues with the trailer. Warner studios re-released another trailer today this time in 4K definition, so we can see things more clearly, which is the honest criticism I gave yesterday that the film looks dark dour even a bit bland.

Thank goodness the studio has listened and given us a sharper look. The 4K version has upgraded the cinematography quite a bit. Now things are looking better.

We just got the sharper color grading as ordered. Thanks for the delivery Warner.
    Last edited by Castle; 10-17-2021 at 01:24 PM.

I was right on the mark as usual about some of the issues with the trailer. Warner studios re-released another trailer today this time in 4K definition, so we can see things more clearly, which is the honest criticism I gave yesterday that films looks dark dour even a bit bland.

Thank goodness the studio has listened and given us a sharper look. The 4K version has upgraded the cinematography quite a bit. Now things are looking better.

We just got the sharper color grading. Thank for the delivery Warner.
    Two obvious things...

- First, nobody listened.

- Second, no one waved a magic wand that altered the cinematography. It is the exact same as it was yesterday.