Page 146 of 177 FirstFirst ... 4696136142143144145146147148149150156 ... LastLast
Results 2,176 to 2,190 of 2641
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Hopefully a new take on John will be less stoic and stick in the mud. Let the guy have some fun and smile more often!
    I like John just the way he is... And he has actually had many moments of calm and relaxed demeanor where he smiles which is also fine and welcomed.

But let's be clear here, I don't want John turning into Guy or Kyle or even Hal.....and worse MCU Stat Lord. I don't want a childish immature never takes things seriously also throwing cheap jokes left n right wildly giggly giggidy anytime is party time type nonsense.

John is the calm, calculating and thoughtful GL which has been shown and demonstrated innumerable times.... This is what u claim is "stoic and stick in the mud"?... Must everyone be a halfway imitator of Deadpool or Spiderman?

Being the thoughtful, calculating a.nd contemplative character is what makes John unique and stand up from the massive oceans of GL characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    I like John just the way he is... And he has actually had many moments of calm and relaxed demeanor where he smiles which is also fine and welcomed.

But let's be clear here, I don't want John turning into Guy or Kyle or even Hal.....and worse MCU Stat Lord. I don't want a childish immature never takes things seriously also throwing cheap jokes left n right wildly giggly giggidy anytime is party time type nonsense.

John is the calm, calculating and thoughtful GL which has been shown and demonstrated innumerable times.... This is what u claim is "stoic and stick in the mud"?... Must everyone be a halfway imitator of Deadpool or Spiderman?

Being the thoughtful, calculating a.nd contemplative character is what makes John unique and stand up from the massive oceans of GL characters.
    there is a difference between calm and empty stoicism, and since Johns' era John has been the latter and the characterization has become lazier and lazier ever since. John prior to that had his calculating deep-thinking persona but he was also emotive, passionate, he had humor, and could even be down right sensitive. people want a nuance human being not a automaton that just outputs orders and calculations. as much as I can appreciate the marine background adding an element of competence to his character, I feel it's done more harm than good because a lot of comic writers only know how to write "soldiers" in a very narrow way, and often leave out everything else that goes into John other than paying lip service to him being an architect at some point.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 10-21-2021 at 12:00 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Wouldn't mind seeing a crime drama approach to play up the cop aspect of GL, but also give him a chance to let loose with giant constructs and explosions at the end.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I like the new costume a lot! Glad to see John sporting glowing green eyes again lol.
    Agreed but now he has no symbol or crest..... If it's still the GL symbol then bring it back and put it on the new suit.

If John is ....some else now.....then give him a new symbol or crest.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Emerald 23 View Post
    Wouldn't mind seeing a crime drama approach to play up the cop aspect of GL, but also give him a chance to let loose with giant constructs and explosions at the end.
    First Flight was basically GL as Training Day. Could be a similar approach.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    there is a difference between calm and empty stoicism, and since Johns' era John has been the latter and the characterization has become lazier and lazier ever since. John prior to that had his calculating deep-thinking persona but he was also emotive, passionate, he had humor, and could even be down right sensitive. people want a nuance human being not a automaton that just outputs orders and calculations. as much as I can appreciate the marine background adding an element of competence to his character, I feel it's done more harm than good because a lot of comic writers only know how to write "soldiers" in a very narrow way, and often leave out everything else that goes into John other than paying lip service to him being an architect at some point.
    This post is winning.

BANNED

BANNED

Lightbringer. . . Hammer of Dawn. . .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I really wish they hadn't brought John's Marine background (from the animated series) into the comics. It shouldn't automatically make him more stoic and straight edge, but a lot of writers basically fashion his personality after that aspect of the character. "What's John's personality?" "He's a Marine."

The military background was always Hal's thing. Bruce Timm and co. seemingly wanted their versions John and Kyle to have shades of Hal. The Superman: TAS version of Kyle even looked exactly like Hal.

Denny O'Neal and Neal Adams originally crafted John to be a bit of a rebel and an advocate for social change. Both guys worshipped Mohammad Ali and there was probably some influence there.

[img]https://miro.***********/max/564/1*QfKAXbaOZeQY7rQB9EXQkw.jpeg[/img]

I'm not saying John should be Ali with a power ring, but the current "stoic good soldier" John is pretty far from their original concept.

As you said, that's the fault of lazy writing. We rarely get to see all the facets of the character.
    Last edited by Robotman; 10-23-2021 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Lightbringer. . . Hammer of Dawn. . .

Reminds me of Black Hammer from Dark Horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I really wish they hadn't brought John's Marine background (from the animated series) into the comics. It shouldn't automatically make him more stoic and straight edge, but a lot of writers basically fashion his personality after that aspect of the character. "What's John's personality?" "He's a Marine."

The military background was always Hal's thing. Bruce Timm and co. seemingly wanted their versions John and Kyle to have shades of Hal. The Superman: TAS version of Kyle even looked exactly like Hal.

Denny O'Neal and Neal Adams originally crafted John to be a bit of a rebel and an advocate for social change. Both guys worshipped Mohammad Ali and there was probably some influence there.

[img]https://miro.***********/max/564/1*QfKAXbaOZeQY7rQB9EXQkw.jpeg[/img]

I'm not saying John should be Ali with a power ring, but the current "stoic good soldier" John is pretty far from their original concept.

As you said, that's the fault of lazy writing. We rarely get to see all the facets of the character.
    I think the military background can work. You just need to connect it to his architect/social activist present. John started out as part of the Marines taking life and destroying targets. Now as a GL he wants to protect life and as an architect he wants to build new structures for people to live in. Just don’t use it as flimsy justification to write him as cold and uncaring, that detracts from his likability. He absolutely CAN be a cold SOB when he has to be, but it shouldn’t be the default. Least in my opinion anyway.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I think John's marine background gives him some extra layers, but I just wish that there wasn't so much uniformity to the Earth GLs. Hal Jordan is a military veteran. John is a military veteran. Jo Mulliens is a military veteran. And ALL of them are American.

It's so myopic that it makes the franchise feel smaller.

BANNED

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I think John's marine background gives him some extra layers, but I just wish that there wasn't so much uniformity to the Earth GLs. Hal Jordan is a military veteran. John is a military veteran. Jo Mulliens is a military veteran. And ALL of them are American.

It's so myopic that it makes the franchise feel smaller.
    Omg yes. I started to side eye this because it started becoming very propaganda-ish. I know GL's are peacekeepers but the characters and the role became so militaristic/authoritarian over the years. Also, Guy got retconned into being a cop of all things and the similarities between him and most of the GL's being American Vets is no coincidence. I won't be surprised if Kyle was retconned next.
    Last edited by HandofPrometheus; 10-24-2021 at 01:01 AM.