Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

I also read Akira a couple years back. These were my thoughts at the time.

I think I actually prefer the movie. It's not that the manga is bad, but it does sprawl out a lot. It is interesting seeing more of the city as it's citizens deal with the faction wars brought about by the psychic catastrophe, and it's interesting seeing more psychics, and getting a bit more of the backstory. But it ends up having a pretty bloated cast, the chase sequences and faction battles go on way longer than needed, some plot threads and character arcs just don't actually go anywhere, and the ending doesn't actually seem as impactful. I think the movie, even for how rushed some bits could feel, managed to condense the story down to its core components better. They chopped nearly four whole books worth of material out of the adaptation, and having now read those books, I don't feel like anything vital was missing.

The art is great, though. Tons of very detailed cityscapes and techno-punk aesthetics that are fantastically rendered.

Otherwise, I'd say you could just watch the movie for the story. Original dub, of course.

Funny enough, I actually got into the soundtrack first. I had the album years before I actually saw the movie. :V

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    My Reading Recommendation would be...

Akira

Looking at this just reminded me that we're getting an anime reboot of it in the near-future.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    They chopped nearly four whole books worth of material out of the adaptation, and having now read those books, I don't feel like anything vital was missing.
    They technically didn't cut as much as that per say, it was more the case that a bunch of that material didn't actually exist when the film was in production because books 5-6 were respectively incomplete or hadn't even been started at the time. Otomo actually took a full year off the manga to work on the film in 1987.

I will agree that score is insane. Easily one of the best and most iconic soundtracks in cinema.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Looking at this just reminded me that we're getting an anime reboot of it in the near-future.
    Excuse me? Citation? What?!

Extraordinary Member

There will be a new Digimon movie that will take place a bit after Last Evolution Kizuna, and it will focus on the season 2 kids. Hopefully finally giving them some much needed respect.

One Piece:
    spoilers:
    While his control isn't perfect, Momonosuke just seriously injured an admiral. That's some damn impressive destructive power the kid has. He probably wouldn't have won though as Ryokugyu got up anyway.

So it's a good thing Shanks rocked up and did his "Stop it or I'm getting involved." bit. Which is as effective as always.

And we now know where Pluton is. All in all, fun and informative chapter.
    end of spoilers

Black Clover
    spoilers:
    Yeay, it's back for its final arc.

Asta and Yuno have gotten promotions, and Asta has officially given up on getting together with Lily after one final attempt. Good on him for just accepting the no.

But Lucius has shown up now and I wonder if he's gonna start shit early or just pretend that he's Julius. The suspense is real.
    end of spoilers

And RuriDragon is taking an extended break due to the author's health issues. Hopefully that won't impact its numbers to negatively. It's just a calm and wholesome series, just the kind of fantastical slice of life stuff I love.
    Last edited by Dark Soul # 7; 07-31-2022 at 08:59 AM.

Little worried that Doron Dororon has been cancelled.

We've spent like the last five or six chapters building up the new big bads.

spoilers:
    And, at the moment, it seems like they've been taken out by the samurai.
    end of spoilers

Which was cool, always nice to see. But... I don't know, shit feels a bit end flag tripping. I do hope I am wrong.

Hmmm...

Aliens Area seems like a fun little series.

Last edited by Nik Hasta; 07-31-2022 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    They technically didn't cut as much as that per say, it was more the case that a bunch of that material didn't actually exist when the film was in production because books 5-6 were respectively incomplete or hadn't even been started at the time. Otomo actually took a full year off the manga to work on the film in 1987.

I will agree that score is insane. Easily one of the best and most iconic soundtracks in cinema.

Excuse me? Citation? What?!
    It was announced by Sunrise on their Facebook and other social media a couple of years ago.

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

RIP Nichelle Nichols.

Genuine legend.

Okay, so this is literally "an anime might exist," level announcement rather than anything concrete with a release date.

Seven Deadly Sins: Four Knights of the Apocalypse: I guess Suzuki Nakaba isn't over his whole "weird relationships that make you feel uncomfortable to see them," thing. Though, I guess it's progress that he's at least acknowledging that this one is pretty weird.

I have been side-eyeing Ban and Elaine for literally... almost a decade at this point.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    RIP Nichelle Nichols.

Genuine legend.
    Much sadness here.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Having a bit of an art block and need to shake the rust off.

Please reply if you want a head (maybe upper body, havent decided) sketch of an OC. I shall endeavour to do my best but, y'know, R U S T.

My DMs are unfortunately full at the moment, so please post your pertinent details here (ie: basic description, design elements, story and personality, etc).

Let's go with a modest 5 slots for now and see how it goes. Critique will be most welcome.

1. Sharkerbob: The Hand **DONE**
    2. Bruceleegreyhulk: The Red Oni **DONE**
    3. Nik Hasta: Geetha **DONE**
    4. KingofPie: Halcón de Caza **DONE**
    5. Dark Soul #7: Vesta **DONE**
    Last edited by grampagen; 09-21-2022 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Oh! I didn't know that. Interesting.

Heck yeah.
    Last edited by Sharkerbob; 07-31-2022 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    Having a bit of an art block and need to shake the rust off.

Please reply if you want a head (maybe upper body, havent decided) sketch of an OC. I shall endeavour to do my best but, y'know, R U S T.

My DMs are unfortunately full at the moment, so please post your pertinent details here (ie: basic description, design elements, story and personality, etc).

Let's go with a modest 5 slots for now and see how it goes. Critique will be most welcome.

I would be interested in your take on any one of my Body Warriors, but particularly The Hand. If you don't want to do him, any of the others is fine.

https://sharkerbob.blogspot.com/2020...tive-body.html