Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Whatever happened to Supreme?

I really liked him back in the 90's. Too powerful and they just whisked him away?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    I really liked him back in the 90's. Too powerful and they just whisked him away?
    The first series briefly ended at #56 in 1998. Then there was Supreme: The Return #1-6 starting in 1999. Then the old numbering picked up with 63-68 in 2012. There was also Supreme: Blue Rose #1-7 in 2014. Alan Moore's run was outstanding. I bailed out of the Blue Rose mini.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

He's not mentioned as much as Youngblood but Supreme's publishing rights were also sold to Andrew Rev and his Terrific Production by Scott Rosenberg, who Liefeld had in turn given the rights to at the end of the 90s when they split the Extreme properties. Full story here

My understanding is that Rev let that licence lapse, or anyway Terrific Production never actually amounted to anything, and so publishing rights are now back with Rosenberg, who's probably hoping to find another publisher for Youngblood and Supreme eventually.

Incredible Member

I’d hope that they would let Rob have the rights back or let him have the opportunity to do anything he wants with his creations. I wonder if the offer to sell them back to Rob ever arose.

Amazing Member

Supreme was a fantastic example of a male power fantasy. It was just a really fun comic. I think it got derailed by Alan Moore when he basically did a Silver Age Superman riff.

I wish it was digitized onto Comixology.

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    I’d hope that they would let Rob have the rights back or let him have the opportunity to do anything he wants with his creations. I wonder if the offer to sell them back to Rob ever arose.
    Why? So he can mismanage them again?

Invincible Member

Want to say Erik Larsen did a run after the Warren Ellis mini. I didn't read it though.

Personally, I really liked the Ellis story. It was sort of a Philip K Dick "what is reality, what is identity?" take on the concept. But I can see how it might not be top everyone's taste.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    Why? So he can mismanage them again?
    To be fair, when Rob had control of those characters he was willing to let other creators do some really interesting takes on them. This is the stuff that people most remember.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Want to say Erik Larsen did a run after the Warren Ellis mini. I didn't read it though.

Personally, I really liked the Ellis story. It was sort of a Philip K Dick "what is reality, what is identity?" take on the concept. But I can see how it might not be top everyone's taste.
    Erik Larsen was the artist on 63-68, right before the Blue Rose mini by Ellis.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Erik Larsen was the artist on 63-68, right before the Blue Rose mini by Ellis.
    Ouch! I got it backwards!

Incredible Member

I loved Alan Moores Supreme run never read any of the stuff that came before or the stuff that Larsen did. I do have the Blue Rose mini which confuses the hell out of me

I remember in the very late 90s, there was a crossover between Supreme and Marvel's Gladiator. I never understood why that existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I remember in the very late 90s, there was a crossover between Supreme and Marvel's Gladiator. I never understood why that existed.
    I never knew this existed! And written by Keith Giffen? Wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dornwolf View Post
    I loved Alan Moores Supreme run never read any of the stuff that came before or the stuff that Larsen did. I do have the Blue Rose mini which confuses the hell out of me
    Pretty artwork, though.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    To be fair, when Rob had control of those characters he was willing to let other creators do some really interesting takes on them. This is the stuff that people most remember.
    Lets be honest if Alan Moore hadn't wrote the book, no one would've remembered or cared about it. IMHO that is the sad thing with books like Supreme it took 40 issues and about 5-7 years for someone to make it more than "Superman with bad attitude" concept that was played out by #12, and it's the same with Moore's run on Wild C.A.T.s and Ellis' run on Stormwatch.