Page 18 of 74 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by donnafan View Post
    Ever since I learned that Troia has a negative connotation in Italian and Greek, the most common being sow or female pig. It's also used as derogatory term for a "working girl." That pretty much soured me on the name. George Perez and Marv Wolfman probably didn't intend this and this was pre-Google so, I give them some slack for such a cringeworthy codename. Rather her be known simply by Troy vs Troia.
    Troy is the better of the two. Donna isn't Greek -- and I don't think most people recognize Troia as being a Greek word. Even people not familiar with Greek mythology have heard to Troy thanks to the Trojan Horse story. And since it's her last name, I could see people just referring to her as Troy the way military refer to people by last names in battle.

I think they need to abandon the connection to stars altogether. It doesn't fit if she has her classic origin (which is better than the post-Crisis version).

Donna isn't greek but has greek connections, from Themyscira to the Titans gods.
    Even the name Troy refers to the city of Troy that fought against Athens in the Greek Mythology.

So it makes sense for the codename to be the greek name for her last name.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

So who else noticed that the promo images for the new Amazon "Game of Thrones" -ish series prominently displays Donna Troy? Granted, it was the nu52 version and possibly from the worst WW run ever but, at least Donna was getting some exposure, even if non-comics geeks didn't get the reference.

Donna Troy was also mentioned in DC Power A Celebration of Black History Month #1. During the story with Nubia and Bumblebee, Karen mentions Donna Troy. Would really like to see more interaction between Nubia and Troy.

Quote Originally Posted by donnafan View Post
    So who else noticed that the promo images for the new Amazon "Game of Thrones" -ish series prominently displays Donna Troy? Granted, it was the nu52 version and possibly from the worst WW run ever but, at least Donna was getting some exposure, even if non-comics geeks didn't get the reference.
    Probably whoever posted the picture has no idea that she is Donna Troy and thought she was Diana or Hippolyta!

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    Probably whoever posted the picture has no idea that she is Donna Troy and thought she was Diana or Hippolyta!
    You're probably right! When I saw it I was like: Hey! There's my girl, Donna Troy! Any Wonder Woman project being promoted by DC these days is a good thing! Give WW and the Amazons the respect they deserve! Even if we'll likely see a bunch of Amazons killed off in a Game of Thrones type drama. But, hey! Amazons on TV! Woohoo!

You mean the image used here? https://dcextendeduniverse.fandom.co.../Paradise_Lost

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    And they should use one too!

Jean Grey is the Marvel Donna Troy in terms of a new great codename being hard to create.
    Jean ended up just going back to being Marvel Girl a few years ago. To be honest, they should've called her Marvel Woman, as she ought to be at least 30 years old by now (just like Donna, which is why she shouldn't be Wonder Girl again).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    You mean the image used here? https://dcextendeduniverse.fandom.co.../Paradise_Lost

Jean ended up just going back to being Marvel Girl a few years ago. To be honest, they should've called her Marvel Woman, as she ought to be at least 30 years old by now (just like Donna, which is why she shouldn't be Wonder Girl again).
    cyclops kinda-sorta has a grand-daughter nowadays?

I know, but most of us Jean Grey fans disliked her going backwards. The Green MG Minidress was great to see again and many fans wanted it at first, but then tired of it as it was not always drawn great and seemed outdated in today's world.

We much prefer how Jean is shown today with her new Gala-inspired costume and Omega Level TP & TK. But Jean Grey still needs a Great code-name! Donna Troy as well.
    Last edited by Phoenixx9; 02-03-2023 at 09:11 AM.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I know, but most of us Jean Grey fans disliked her going backwards. The Green MG Minidress was great to see again and many fans wanted it at first, but then tired of it as it was not always drawn great and seemed outdated in today's world.

We much prefer how Jean is shown today with her new Gala-inspired costume and Omega Level TP & TK. But Jean Grey still needs a Great code-name! Donna Troy as well.
    Jean already had a great codename, before Marvel started passing it around to random characters. At this point I doubt either of them will get a new codename, let alone a great one.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Jean already had a great codename, before Marvel started passing it around to random characters. At this point I doubt either of them will get a new codename, let alone a great one.
    Of course I loved The PHOENIX name, lol!

But Marvel and even some fans do not want Jean to be Phoenix, at least not in these current years.

It is hard to come up with a new, accurate, easy to say and great name for both Jean and Donna Troy.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Astonishing Member

Marvel Woman, though, has no ring to it. I can see where going by Marvel Girl seems like a step back, but it is a better name.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    You mean like Lex Luthor? Or like that super-hero parody film? Um... forget the name.. had Wil Smith as the lead?
    Lex Luthor.... Who has always gone by his name and has never been publicly known by a code name or had a secret identity? Not quite the same, but ok.

I don't get why people are pulling their hair out trying to come up with a new code-name when "Donna Troy" has worked just fine for the past 30 years. If it's not broken don't fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I don't get why people are pulling their hair out trying to come up with a new code-name when "Donna Troy" has worked just fine for the past 30 years. If it's not broken don't fix it.
    With a name like that, you don't need a codename.

Even Troia just felt there most of the time.
    Currently Reading: DC v. Vampires / Batman: Urban Legends / Robin / Nightwing / Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom