Page 80 of 91 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490 ... LastLast
Results 1,186 to 1,200 of 1356

Thread: Batgirls

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    But I don't think that that would have helped the main continuity version of Tim much.

And I think the continuity thing is really a big problem.

Just look at the last two iterations of young Justice.

The Bendis run seem to be somehow a follow up to the original pre crisis YJ run, and seemed to ignore all the development afterwards, with the characters acting and looking like in 2003 which had a lot of people confused if the post graduation day Teen titans run was now in continuity or not (even if the Titans od Tomorrow stories was of course from that run).

Same Problem with the Fitzmartin Mini, that run made references to stuff from the Teen titans era, and about how they characters had changed and become more mature, but again gave them a look closer to the 2003 version, and made them look younger than they had been in 2011.

I mean that a bit like you would make a new Series with Dick's generation of Titans that seemd to pick up from the Wolfman Perez Era in the mid to late 80s.
    I guess the Bendis era at DC predates this mess, but this is what editorial has wanted lately.

Leah Williams, who is writing the Power Girl backup story currently appearing in Action Comics:

I did all this research for Power Girl and encountered the contradictions, got confused, and asked my editors, "Okay, so what's the truth?" And then they responded, "What do you want it to be?" So that's not intimidating. It's been wild, and it feels like it should be an illegal amount of fun. It's been great.

https://www.cbr.com/dc-laarus-planet...nes-interview/

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ohfellow View Post
    I guess the Bendis era at DC predates this mess, but this is what editorial has wanted lately.

Leah Williams, who is writing the Power Girl backup story currently appearing in Action Comics:

I did all this research for Power Girl and encountered the contradictions, got confused, and asked my editors, "Okay, so what's the truth?" And then they responded, "What do you want it to be?" So that's not intimidating. It's been wild, and it feels like it should be an illegal amount of fun. It's been great.
    That might be great for the writers and editors, but for long term fans it's imo terrible.

And the big problem is that if there is no continuity, and the next writer who comes in can completely ignore everything from the current run, than nothing really matters.

Logical end result of "everything matters" approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    That might be great for the writers and editors, but for long term fans it's imo terrible.

And the big problem is that if there is no continuity, and the next writer who comes in can completely ignore everything from the current run, than nothing really matters.
    Yes, that's how I feel.
    Everything counts doesn't work when there's wildly contradicting stories to draw on. So we don't know what stories are being used as the backstory until they're directly referrenced, so it leaves me feeling detached.

Quote Originally Posted by ohfellow View Post

https://www.cbr.com/dc-laarus-planet...nes-interview/
    Yeah, this sounds like DC .

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Bernard is supposed to be bi is my understanding.
    Steph and Cass were supposed to be a couple in Future State, which is supposed to be the future, or a future, of the current timeline so it seems like Cass and Steph should be bi. It's all so vague I don't necessarily think they're out or identifying as bi yet? Maybe? But it makes sense that they are given that future history together.

I don't think they'd put Cass and Steph in Future State as a couple if they weren't bi(at least) in the main continuity. Them being on the covers of PRIDE in their current day attire and not their Future State one probably answers that question.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    I don't think they'd put Cass and Steph in Future State as a couple if they weren't bi(at least) in the main continuity. Them being on the covers of PRIDE in their current day attire and not their Future State one probably answers that question.
    But they aren't on the covers of pride. They are only on Tim's pride cover, as his friends/family. They don't appear in the main pride issue or on any variants of the main pride issue.

Cass and Steph

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    Well, the Future State thing was more writer's intention and suggestion than outright explicit in the story, so I don't put so much stock into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, the Future State thing was more writer's intention and suggestion than outright explicit in the story, so I don't put so much stock into it.
    That does make sense (I like the theory and think the story makes more sense seen through that lens, but my bottom line is that the evidence is a little shaky and not something I see DC seeing themselves needing to honor), although, given scenes like the excerpt posted above, you really have to wonder if more people working with the characters are aware of the fan theory and playing into it so some degree; heck, if that was a guy and gal, what are the odds that that would be taken as a romantic scene of some kind?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    That does make sense (I like the theory and think the story makes more sense seen through that lens, but my bottom line is that the evidence is a little shaky and not something I see DC seeing themselves needing to honor), although, given scenes like the excerpt posted above, you really have to wonder if more people working with the characters are aware of the fan theory and playing into it so some degree; heck, if that was a guy and gal, what are the odds that that would be taken as a romantic scene of some kind?
    If the guy and gal were siblings, this scene wouldn't be interpreted as romantic at all.

My point is this scene shows a pretty close relationship, but the romantic interpretation depends on the expectative from the audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    If the guy and gal were siblings, this scene wouldn't be interpreted as romantic at all.

My point is this scene shows a pretty close relationship, but the romantic interpretation depends on the expectative from the audience.
    That's a fair point (and I did note the specific circumstances).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    If it was a guy and a girl there'd be no question about the potential romantic implications. The only time it wouldn't be would be if they were siblings. Cass and Steph aren't. Then again, a guy can open a door for a girl and they can smile at each other or on the flipside they can always argue with each other but smile at each other once and that would be enough for most people to assume something romantic can or will happen.

But two girls can have long emotional intimate moments of closeness, write "I love you" to each other, say "I love you" to each other, kiss one another when one is brought back from the dead, be a couple in a future path issue, share the cover of a PRIDE magazine in their current iterations, cuddle with one another, share a bed, and talk about never being alone again because they have found each other. And still get "Yeah but how sure are we really..."

Mighty Member

For the pride thing though it isn't in their actual issue though.

Why else would they be there with every other LGBT member front and center?

This + the fact they're a couple in Future State. I don't think DC would be irresponsible enough to be like "They're bisexual in Future State but not in the current comics." That's a can of worms nobody wants to open currently.

There was a time maybe 10-15 years ago where they would do multiverse stories where a character was LGBT in one universe but not in another(or at least had their LGBT qualities explored in an alternate universe but it confirmed nothing in main continuity). But that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

I doubt that Cass and Steph would be a couple on Future State and front and center in a PRIDE situation without them being a part of the LGBT community. At this point it'd be irresponsible to do. For the same reasons you aren't going to see a "straight alternate universe" version of Renee Montoya.