Page 110 of 323 FirstFirst ... 1060100106107108109110111112113114120160210 ... LastLast
Results 1,636 to 1,650 of 4832

Bayne also voiced Fabian Cortez, but after what happened in S5, I guess the chance of Cortez being in the show are nil.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Ablaze View Post
    I agree with you 100%.

I also think DeMayo's Responses to the Harsh Twitter People does not help the situation. I'm not trying to challenge his knowledge about Comic Book characters. But, I am VERY concerned. And I'm not entirely sure what Audience he's trying to reach. Your absolutely right he does come off as Obtuse and Ignorant at times. I'm going to give this show a chance.
    It didn't.

A lot of times the writers do NOT see the voice actors as they are in different locations. Because the voice recording are done somewhere else and in some cases in other states.
    A lot of Anime voice work is done here in Texas. The Gatchman dubbing was done here for that series set about 20 years ago.

I would ask those complaining this-

Look at Phil Lamarr and Cree Summer's resumes.

While Cree is famous for Suzie Carmichael of Rugrats. She was doing She Hulk, Penny and Elmyra's voices as well.
    Phil Lamarr is famous for Static and John Stewart but he's also known as Samurai Jack.

So why would this be an issue when you have many like that voicing everything under the sun.

Just imagine some nameless faceless jackhole telling you how you should do your job when they have absolutely no fucking clue what that job entails.
    Yeah school employees are dealing with that now. Along with every librarian and store owner that dares to diverse.

I miss the days when nobody even raised an eyebrow about Uncle Phil voicing the Shredder.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Okay. I will.

Appreciate you giving it your approval.
    lol no prob
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowbox View Post
    He’s as African as he is European so to play it as some huge erasure is crazy to me. Is Rogue’s actress actually from the South? Is Storm’s actress Kenyan? I don’t think Beau deserved the Twitter pile on for this at all. Very silly.
    Yet since x-Force (v1) ended his African 'identity' has been all but erased so much so that every noncomic iteration of him has been played by someone with ZERO African background. After the criticism the comics get for lightening up chars like Storm, M, and Sunspots, and especially After the well deserved flack the New Mutant casting received It seems like it's a deliberate move by marvel Why is it that tho? What point are they tryna make?
    Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    People don't understand how voice acting works. The pool of available actors is already limited by the studio being used to record the voices and the union and the pay grade. Hell, the person voicing Nightcrawler doesn't even seem to be German so this was just people trying to start race wars on Twitter as usual.
    Is German a race now ? The fact that other char besides sunspot VAs were replaced by someone closer to their race Yet Sunspot a black char who has yet to be shown black despite being in 2 live action movies and a cartoon is pretty sus
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    To be fair, he's half white, half black. I think his look could realistically range a bit, and the illustration here is not out of bounds. I did think he was that new dream guy, at first, though. I don't know why they didn't draw him in his hero suit like everyone else?
    I know the discussion has died down, but just looking at this thread again.

This is his origin story, yes him being Black matters, so it is far deeper than just "voice acting" or the VA being Brazilian.

Just because these castings didn't care to be accurate X amount of years ago, doesn't mean it has to be that now. Things evolve, that's the point.
    FxazQ_-akAAXZD_.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by thefinalguy; 06-02-2023 at 07:27 AM.
    Currently Reading: DC v. Vampires / Batman: Urban Legends / Robin / Nightwing / Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by thefinalguy View Post
    >Keller

Maybe he's Julian Keller's relative, thus giving us a way to introduce Hellion into a show set before his time. BAM, our boy's in.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by thefinalguy View Post
    I know the discussion has died down, but just looking at this thread again.

This is his origin story, yes him being Black matters, so it is far deeper than just "voice acting" or the VA being Brazilian.

Just because these castings didn't care to be accurate X amount of years ago, doesn't mean it has to be that now. Things evolve, that's the point.
    FxazQ_-akAAXZD_.jpg
    This. At the end of the day, a voice actor is still going to be the one to take home the paycheck for voicing the character whose literal origin story is being hate-crimed for being visibly black, so what the hell kind of message is being sent about representation if a white voice actor (being Brazilian does not inherently make you nonwhite when it was literally colonized by the Portuguese, who are white, PLENTY of modern Brazilians are white) is still the one profiting off the representation that is supposedly offered by a black character whose race was foundational to his story and character?

Especially when there is zero reason NOT to just have a black Brazilian voice actor play him. You can not tell me there are no talented black Brazilian voice actors.

And quite frankly, this should have been a non-issue after the show and its production praised Alison Court's decision not to come back as Jubilee so that role could go to an Asian voice actress instead.

Like if you can understand why its important for Jubilee to be voiced by an Asian voice actress, you can understand why its important for a black actor to voice Sunspot.

Edit: One last point -

If Sunspot's role in this cartoon included a retelling of his character origin, to the point of having him be attacked for not being white....would some of the people arguing it doesn't matter STILL be comfortable with the knowledge a white voice actor would be voicing him in THAT scene, of all scenes?

And if the show never tackles his origin, do none of the people who praise faithful comic book adaptations and being true to the source material with OTHER characters truly see no problem with an adaptation just HAPPENING to veer away from the topic of race-based hate crimes? In an X-MEN show of all things?
    Last edited by BobbysWorld; 06-02-2023 at 08:29 AM.

Well if it makes you feel any better, that paycheck will pretty much be pennies, because voice actors always get paid jackshit for their work. At least it won’t be a black actor getting financially screwed over.

The voice of 'Berto in my head is Joe Zieja though I'm not 100% about his ethnicity (definitely not Afro-Brazilian though).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    Well if it makes you feel any better, that paycheck will pretty much be pennies, because voice actors always get paid jackshit for their work. At least it won’t be a black actor getting financially screwed over.
    No, they'll just be getting screwed out of the chance to even play one of the comparatively few black X-Men, so another white person can add that role to their resume and further build their career instead. Big win.

Thank you to the bunch of you that get it! It's so easy to dismiss an issue if it doesn't mean anything to you so it's really nice to hear your voices!

So, the only thing that matters here is what race a person is... Feels like one of those "When woke and racists agree," moments. Doesn't matter if somebody is good mat the job or not, they need to have the right skin color to do it.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Samurai Jacks VO is not Asian and nobody seems to mind

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    So, the only thing that matters here is what race a person is... Feels like one of those "When woke and racists agree," moments. Doesn't matter if somebody is good mat the job or not, they need to have the right skin color to do it.
    Clearly.

I mean...what exactly does a Black Brazilian sound like? As compared to a White Brazilian? As compared to what Beto should sound like (considering he's a fictional, two-dimensional, illustrated charater? None of that matters, I'm guessing. Just as long as he's the same skin colour as the cartoon character he's voicing.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    And quite frankly, this should have been a non-issue after the show and its production praised Alison Court's decision not to come back as Jubilee so that role could go to an Asian voice actress instead.
    Her decision was navel-gazing BS in the aftermath of the stupid Abu documentary. And around the death of George Floyd and a lot of famous, rich white people were attempting to atone for their white guilt and prove they were the good ones.

Of course, Sunspot is half black and Jubilee is Asian. Of course, it should match that in live action. But it should not matter in voice acting. Where character can remain their ethnicities but have whatever actor can handle the performance. Christopher Judge is black and he did a great job as Magneto. Hiro Kanagawa is Japanese-Canadian and he did a great job as Reed Richards. Josh Keaton is half Ashkenazi Jewish and half Peruvian and he did a great job as Spider-Man. Cree Summer is half black and did a great job as She-Hulk.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!