Page 100 of 598 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101102103104110150200 ... LastLast
Results 1,486 to 1,500 of 8959

Thread: Arrow

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SXVA View Post
    It's "real life" in the fantasy world of Arrow/Flash, it doesn't happen in the real life that you or i exist within. The same exact perspectives and views that are dictated by the rules and experiences of living in reality doesn't necessarily apply to fantasy.

Generally, it will use this reality as we all exist as a basis so the human mind can understand and grasp it.. as most humans seem to have an issue with letting go of that and embracing fantasy and have a need to hang on to what they know, it's like how when an alien being will encounter humans and will make everything the way it exists within the human perspective of their reality and what they're comfortable and familiar with rather than the alien reality, etc.

In the fantasy world of Arrow/Flash that trial can happen and did, super soldiers can and did, Flash gaining his powers and other super humans running around with super powers can happen and did as it's not restrained/caged by the rules and perception of the reality we currently exist within's rules, perception and perspectives.

That people thoroughly mock and criticize within a basis of "that couldn't happen in real life" says much more about them then it does the series imo.. i wouldn't consider it a failure as such.

It says that those people have a lay persons knowledge of certain things and are taken out of the show by the ridiculous way those things were written. In watching the show you accept vigilantes and super powers. However that is set in a world that otherwise closely resembles our own. For instance:

What Makes a Riot?

To understand how police control riots, first we need to understand how a riot gets started in the first place. A riot is a crowd that takes violent, illegal actions, reacting out of fear or anger. The crowd takes on a mob mentality -- the people making up the "mob" do things they normally would not do because the crowd makes them anonymous; this anonymity, combined with the actions of the rest of the crowd, makes them feel like they can smash, burn or beat whatever and whomever they want.

From here:

http://people.howstuffworks.com/riot-control.htm

This is what the show would have us believe should run wild. Also the way that mob assembled and got violent so quickly it seems things are worse in SC than in the real world therefore the police should be faster to respond so the mobs don't burn down half the city.

BANNED

So, this episode made me think that Felicity's father is probably Professor Ivo. She was raised by her mother after her genius non-blonde father left, he left his wife and daughter years before we saw him on Lian Yu was a genius and had brown hair. They consistently drive home that everything "good person" about Felicity comes from her mother, which fits with Ivo being crazy but competent. And he left his family to perfect Mirakuru for the purpose of stopping a degenerative genetic condition that affects it; Felicity was originally going to be Oracle. This is actually a fairly character-respectful way to push her into the wheelchair.

So yeah. I reckon Ivo will return, maybe looking more like the comics, and will be revealed as Felicity's father, and she'll at least be mentioned to be likely to end up paralysed. It fits... but also is fairly tenuous at this point. But they really made it obvious that her dad has to be SOMEONE. :P

Incredible Member

If memory serves, wasn't Ivo pretty conclusively killed?

Also, take great care in suggesting Felicity literally become Oracle complete with wheelchair. I have said the same thing in the past and been pounced on by fans who were apalled at the idea and acted like I wanted Rickards herself to be paralyzed in real life. Having said that though, and making it clear that I love Felicity as much as anybody, I still think it's a good idea and that Rickards has the acting chops to make it- as Christian Bale's Bruce Wayne once said- "damn good television."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kensei View Post
    If memory serves, wasn't Ivo pretty conclusively killed?

Also, take great care in suggesting Felicity literally become Oracle complete with wheelchair. I have said the same thing in the past and been pounced on by fans who were apalled at the idea and acted like I wanted Rickards herself to be paralyzed in real life. Having said that though, and making it clear that I love Felicity as much as anybody, I still think it's a good idea and that Rickards has the acting chops to make it- as Christian Bale's Bruce Wayne once said- "damn good television."
    That's weird. Personally, I would consider enjoying the idea of her as Oracle a huge compliment. The original was great, those are big shoes to fill.

And I agree about Ivo's death being conclusive-seeming, but he also had access to an unknown amount of experimental super soldier serum. It's possible he was either already mildly dosed or Slade did it to him for ironic reasons. Either way, it wouldn't surprise me if they brought him back somehow. That said, the background we were given could just as easily apply to the Calculator, which also would work.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by hunter_peterson View Post
    So, this episode made me think that Felicity's father is probably Professor Ivo.
    I don't know if you watched the SDCC panel, but when someone asked the show creators that question they literally laughed and gave everyone a big no. They were so surprised that people even thought that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kensei View Post
    What struck me about the riot at the bank was that all those people totally freaked out instantly at the first hint that they might be about to lose their bank accounts to the point of trying to break into the bank and fighting back against the police, but then they completely gave up at the firing of two tear gas arrows by Ollie and Roy.

A part that I liked though was how Ollie saved that person from being hit by a car when things were first starting to go bad, taking the impact himself. If that was me I would have been like "Holy God, I just saved someone's life and got hit by a car to do it, that was AWESOME!" and bragged about it for probably the rest of my life. For Ollie it was like, eh, no big deal, all in a day's work.
    Yeah, I actually thought it was just a random person saving a random person, but then I noticed, or my Dad pointed out, that it was, indeed, Oliver.

Yeah, fairly impressive indeed. And, did he really take the impact? Thought he just grabbed them, got bit hit, then gone from there, but suppose, thinking about it, that would count as taking the impact.

Yeah, be it Arrow, or TDKR, DC Media does tend to have some people or other going mental over stocks. Be it Bane, or Brother Eye, always someone getting them in a tazzle.

Also. does anyone have any theories where Thea was living after she got back from Corto Maltese, and no longer had Queen Manor, as it were, to call home, and couldn't live in the same place as her brother, considering the secret, door being locked and all that?

Besides being just another part of the Verdant club, and, sure, that'd hardly be the best place to sleep, considering other, better options, what it is.

And, she didn't take out the lease on that apartment until later. Was going to ask, if she didn't have the Queen money anymore, whatever money she had probably wouldn't be enough, though I would've thought that Moira would've made a will, and given a fair sum to both son and daughter.

Remember the Malcolm thing, which is probably very true, though said to my Dad, wouldn't his money, will or not, have been seized in an ARGUS, police, FBI, CIA, investigation, after The Undertaking? Though, an earthquake machine from Season 2 wasn't, so who knows?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GrandKaiser View Post
    I don't know if you watched the SDCC panel, but when someone asked the show creators that question they literally laughed and gave everyone a big no. They were so surprised that people even thought that.
    Really? I didn't know that. Oh well. I'm sure it'll be cool no matter who they have be her dad.

I tend not to watch panels because I'd rather read the information, also. Which is common, I think?

BANNED

Really? I didn't know that. Oh well. I'm sure it'll be cool no matter who they have be her dad.

I tend not to watch panels because I'd rather read the information, also. Which is common, I think?
    Yes, I tend to not watch panels, but just because I am a serious spoiler-phobe. I can't stand spoilers. And sometimes people at the panel randomly drop spoilers for the next season without knowing. If you watch the season 3 SDCC panel, you'll see they go into full detail about Olicity in Season 3 (doesn't work out) and the date they went on. It's crazy. Sometimes I like seeing the actors having fun together in their normal lives. It shows that it's much more than a job, and that everyone is friends with each other. That's the only reason I watch those panels.

That's weird. Personally, I would consider enjoying the idea of her as Oracle a huge compliment. The original was great, those are big shoes to fill.

And I agree about Ivo's death being conclusive-seeming, but he also had access to an unknown amount of experimental super soldier serum. It's possible he was either already mildly dosed or Slade did it to him for ironic reasons. Either way, it wouldn't surprise me if they brought him back somehow. That said, the background we were given could just as easily apply to the Calculator, which also would work.
    oracle is one.of the few roles that should belong to one character. No passing down of the mantle.

Felicity was originally going to be Oracle.
    That's not what I heard. She was originally just going to be a one or two shot character with a name based off a DC character(comic Felicity Smoak was a computer store owner back in the day) as a very minor easter egg.

Then the actress owned the role so completely and proved so charismatic that they made her a regular. She pretty much carries the show on her shoulders actingwise, being surrounded by blocks of wood.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    That's not what I heard. She was originally just going to be a one or two shot character with a name based off a DC character(comic Felicity Smoak was a computer store owner back in the day) as a very minor easter egg.

Then the actress owned the role so completely and proved so charismatic that they made her a regular. She pretty much carries the show on her shoulders actingwise, being surrounded by blocks of wood.
    Yeah, but this season, the original title for 3.05 was Oracle. They later changed it to The Secret Origin of Felicity Smoak, but the original implied they were either going to give her the Oracle identity, or else she would have been using the Oracle identity in her hacker days.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Well they also apparently have no idea how the legal system works at all given the ludicrous nature or Moira's trial last season, or how the stock market works given the ridiculous manner that Isabel took Oliver's fortune from him. So I'd say that it's more a case of the writers wanting to incorporate real-life elements into the show, but not really doing the proper research into how said things actually work.
    Ho, I SO agree with you.

Sandy Hausler, J.D.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Felicity is the Oracle of the Arrowverse. Putting her in a wheelchair is not going to make her any better or worse in front of a computer.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Incredible Member

Oracle's skills with computers are no more than half the character at best. The issue people are having is that it tends to be overlooked that diversity doesn't just mean other sexualities or skin colors. Disabled people deserve representation too. The character of Oracle isn't about some hacker, its about a superhero who lost the use of her legs and her means to be a hero in a traumatic event and rose past that, and tapped into her other skillsets to find a completely new way to be a hero and help people rather than just give up. None of which has anything to do with Felicity. So yes, making Felicity this universe's version of Oracle at first glance might seem to be no big deal, but people would not be so quick to dismiss it if we were talking about them making Katana some white girl with a Japanese sword or introducing Cyborg as a white kid. No, its not the same thing, but its not dissimilar either.