Page 14 of 308 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    I don't like the idea that Peter and MJ are just soul mates, that seems a rather naive version of love. Very few people in life are soul mates, love is not always a perfect union where people love each other and that's it. People can fall out of love in real life.
    That's simply not true. Once you're in love, you're in love forever. If you "fall out of love", you were never really in love to begin with. It seems like I am the only Romantic around here.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    I don't like the idea that Peter and MJ are just soul mates, that seems a rather naive version of love. Very few people in life are soul mates, love is not always a perfect union where people love each other and that's it. People can fall out of love in real life.
    Well it's a dangerous thing to use in fiction. If you establish that these characters belong with each other, you gave away a mystery and part of the ending.

The funny thing is that until OMD you never really saw whether or not Peter and MJ were sole mates, as you had stories like House of M that could make Peter question if he loved Gwen more than MJ. OMD really solidified that they are, especially when you could say that their love was the most valuable thing that Mephisto wanted.

Here is the thing, I have a problem with the way Peter and MJ broke up, if MJ decided that being married to Spider-Man was too dangerous and then Peter and MJ decided to part ways and become friends, that would be more mature then what we got with OMD.
    Everyone has a problem with how they broke up.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    Everyone has a problem with how they broke up.
    The break up was done in the worst possible sense. The best version might have been for Peter to travel back in time to the moment when he revealed his identity to the world(by not revealing his secret identity at all); but instead ended up around the time when Harry was a drug addict. This would have meant that Peter(mind in his college era self) could have helped Harry seek medical treatment for his drug addition; thus averting the moment when Norman regressed into the Green Goblin and killed Gwen Stacy...

But the only other solution that could have perserve the marriage was during the Clone Saga era if Ben Reily was alive, provided if Marvel took the chance of making him the main Spider-Man while Peter and Mary could have raised their child in peace. I feel that this would have satisfied both the fans and the readers if OMD turned into this final result than what we got: A story that should never have been published.
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 07-28-2014 at 03:10 AM.

My response to DarthFury's reply
    tumblr_inline_n99tvsvbiW1qcsnx2.jpg

Ultimate Member

I don't know if I'd go as far as to call Peter and MJ "soulmates." That's an incredibly hard term to define, and depends A LOT on one's own standars perspective. There's a reason why there's been this big debate for years as to whether MJ, or Gwen, or even Felicia, is Peter's "soulmate." That fact that Gwen died before we really got to see where things could have gone makes it even more difficult to judge. What I WILL say is that Peter and MJ do work EXTREMELY well as a couple and that their romance was effectively built up over a long period of time. Also, the way that they broke up was pretty much the most godawful way that it could have happened possible.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I don't know if I'd go as far as to call Peter and MJ "soulmates." That's an incredibly hard term to define, and depends A LOT on one's own standars perspective. There's a reason why there's been this big debate for years as to whether MJ, or Gwen, or even Felicia, is Peter's "soulmate." That fact that Gwen died before we really got to see where things could have gone makes it even more difficult to judge. What I WILL say is that Peter and MJ do work EXTREMELY well as a couple and that their romance was effectively built up over a long period of time. Also, the way that they broke up was pretty much the most godawful way that it could have happened possible.
    And nothing interesting to replace it.

Astonishing Member

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by catbatfan View Post
    That's simply not true. Once you're in love, you're in love forever. If you "fall out of love", you were never really in love to begin with. It seems like I am the only Romantic around here.

No, you're not...I agree with you.

Although this is coming from a 42 year old virgin who has never gone out on a date in his life, but it still doesn't change my point of view on the matter.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    The break up was done in the worst possible sense. The best version might have been for Peter to travel back in time to the moment when he revealed his identity to the world(by not revealing his secret identity at all); but instead ended up around the time when Harry was a drug addict. This would have meant that Peter(mind in his college era self) could have helped Harry seek medical treatment for his drug addition; thus averting the moment when Norman regressed into the Green Goblin and killed Gwen Stacy...

But the only other solution that could have perserve the marriage was during the Clone Saga era if Ben Reily was alive, provided if Marvel took the chance of making him the main Spider-Man while Peter and Mary could have raised their child in peace. I feel that this would have satisfied both the fans and the readers if OMD turned into this final result than what we got: A story that should never have been published.
    That would have been a better way to solve the OMD problem.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    I like how Robertson is in the background. Just going about his business.

"Tell me there's something better. Go ahead, try."

BANNED

Well I'm tickled pink by the news that several marraige era stories, such as Peter and MJ's wedding, Kraven's Last Hunt, and the Clone Saga (which also includes the pregnancy), made it into Marvel's top 75 stories of all time, I don't know whether or not that will 'send a message' to the company and prompt change down the line, but it is what I consider a major victory for fans of the 'proper' timeline.

Even the number one choice ("The Night Gwen Stacy Died") climaxes with the moment that solidified Peter and MJ's union for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    I like how Robertson is in the background. Just going about his business.
    It wasn't the first time for him,
    comic.jpg

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lemon Head View Post

That second picture was quite hot

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    It wasn't the first time for him,
    comic.jpg
    lol I miss Robbie.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai View Post
    Well I'm tickled pink by the news that several marraige era stories, such as Peter and MJ's wedding, Kraven's Last Hunt, and the Clone Saga (which also includes the pregnancy), made it into Marvel's top 75 stories of all time, I don't know whether or not that will 'send a message' to the company and prompt change down the line, but it is what I consider a major victory for fans of the 'proper' timeline.

Even the number one choice ("The Night Gwen Stacy Died") climaxes with the moment that solidified Peter and MJ's union for decades.
    It is awesome indeed! Love how Marvel's most popular story was basically written to get Peter and MJ together.