View Poll Results: Who do you think Meredith Finch is bringing back?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Astarte, Empress of the Silver Snake

0 0%
  • Doctor Cyber

8 38.10%
  • Doctor Poison

1 4.76%
  • Eviless

1 4.76%
  • Genocide

0 0%
  • Gundra the Valkyrie

1 4.76%
  • Hypnota/Hypnotic Woman

0 0%
  • Osira

3 14.29%
  • Queen Clea

1 4.76%
  • Silver Swan

4 19.05%
  • Zara, Priestess of the Crimson Flame

0 0%
  • Other

2 9.52%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which villain is Meredith Finch bringing back?

Okay, so we all know Meredith Finch is bringing back a villain. But who? Let's play the guessing game!

Here's what we know so far about the villain:
    • The villain is female.
    • The villain will be making her debut in the New 52.
    • The villain is one that longtime Wonder Woman fans will recognize (though she is being used in an "unexpected" way).
    • The villain has "enough power to defeat the combined might of Wonder Woman and her Justice League teammates!"

So, who is everyone thinking? I placed early bets on Doctor Cyber, but there's been some speculation about Osira or Silver Swan, as well. My biggest fear is that Meredith forgot Circe had appeared in the New 52, and is using her instead of a villain that doesn't get used often or hasn't been seen for a while.

What's everyone else thinking?

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

I voted for Doctor Cyber.

No real evidence to support my theory. Just a shot in the dark.

I kind of hope it's her because she's been terribly underutilized for decades, and it would be nice for Diana to have a technology-based villain who can credibly threaten her.

Either way, I'm looking forward to finding out who it ends up being!
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Yeah, I was just thinking Doctor Cyber, like it might be Circe or Cheetah, but when she said long time Wonder Woman fans will recognise, I thought she meant like someone who isn't like one of her REALLY big ones.

Or maybe Baroness von Paula, I remember her taking about how much she loved the TV show in an interview (I forget which interview, sorry OTL), plus she's Wonder Woman's ~first recurring villain~ so it might be, you know, that~

I know other villains have prob appeared in the tv show, but I only remember Baroness Von Paula so it just stuck in my mind lol
    Last edited by Step; 09-24-2014 at 01:40 PM.

Ultimate Member

Queen Clea. DC seems to really want to push the Atlanteans as a major force these days.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

It's like you read my mind. I was thinking of starting a poll like this.

I'm torn between Circe, Queen Clea, and Osira(due to the golden birds).

If it's Genocide, I'm going to be really disappointed. She was ok in Gail's run but not enough to make me excited for her return.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    If it's Genocide, I'm going to be really disappointed. She was ok in Gail's run but not enough to make me excited for her return.
    Totally agree.

Genocide was Diana's Doomsday. With everything that goes with the character of Doomsday. Translation? She was a complete one-trick pony who used up all her villain cred in her debut. She just flat-out doesn't work as a long-term character. Just like Doomsday.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Fantastic Member

Veronica Cale?

Quote Originally Posted by Step View Post
    Or maybe Baroness von Paula, I remember her taking about how much she loved the TV show in an interview (I forget which interview, sorry OTL), plus she's Wonder Woman's ~first recurring villain~ so it might be, you know, that~
    Technically, Doctor Poison is WW's first recurring villain, since she appeared in Sensation Comics #2 and Paula in #4.

Quote Originally Posted by dangleo61288 View Post
    Veronica Cale?
    She's missing the "enough power to take on WW and the JL" bit.

I hope it's not Queen Clea -- I'm waiting for her to return in the Seven Kings storyline. Genocide would be incredibly disappointing.

Astonishing Member

If the returning villain is related to the "mythological force" who is "seemingly tied to Wonder Woman’s role as War," she could be SIlver Swan, whose pre-crisis version was empowered by Mars to kill Wonder Woman. In the New 52, maybe Ares recruited her after issue 0, in case he ever needed to kill Diana; he was pretty disappointed and angry after she rejected his order to kill the minotaur, and he was very explicit that he didn't believe in letting enemies live--whcih could have applied even to his former student. Or maybe he had empowered her for some other purpose, and she now believes she should be his successor.

Who knows, know? If the "mythological force" is Athena reclaiming a role as goddess of war, she could be empowering a re-imagined version of just about any of the old villains mentioned in the poll. I like the idea of Athena empowering the Baronness, for some reason.

Or, instead of Athena, the mythological force could be Gundra. Suppose she's replaced Tyr as war god in the Norse pantheon, and now she wants to be earth's sole god of war.

Pure, silly speculation--but it's fun.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I voted for Osira. Why...not one single clue.

I would be happy for the character to be almost any of them on the list (with the exception of Genocide, unless they give her a major MAJOR overhaul...ridiculously ugly character design from a very good original artist.)

I dont think it would be Silver Swan. I dont see her having the power to take down Diana and the Justice League. As much as I would love to have someone bring Gudra back, I dont think she would have that much power either. Clea, Cyber and Osira are real possibilities. So yeah, why not Osira.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I believe that Osira took down the Justice Society on Earth 2 back in the 70s so a reimagined version could take down the Justice League.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

One problem this is the character's first appearance in New 52 . Circe made her appearance and cheetah. So she can't make her debut in new 52 of she was already shown. It

Technically itsn't Blue Snow her first tech Villain. Also wasn't she hinted at maybe it's her.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I voted for Osira. Why...not one single clue.

I would be happy for the character to be almost any of them on the list (with the exception of Genocide, unless they give her a major MAJOR overhaul...ridiculously ugly character design from a very good original artist.)

I dont think it would be Silver Swan. I dont see her having the power to take down Diana and the Justice League. As much as I would love to have someone bring Gudra back, I dont think she would have that much power either. Clea, Cyber and Osira are real possibilities. So yeah, why not Osira.
    Do we actually know that the villain who is powerful enough to take down the league is the same villain who is being brought back from a previous continuity? Or could there be situation in which, for instance, Athena (with a really good plan) is powerful enough to take down the whole League, and she's working with an ally who is a reimagined version of an old villain? In any case, a re-imagined version of anyone--Golden Age Etta, Wonder Tot, Egg Fu, Angle Man, Zola, or you or me--could take down the whole League; it would just take more "reimagining" for some of us than for others.

We know she is a part of her rogue gallery in a pervious versions . It's stated she can be troubled for the league

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    We know she is a part of her rogue gallery in a pervious versions . It's stated she can be troubled for the league
    We know that there will be a villain who is a new version of Wonder rogue, and we know that there will be a villain who is trouble for the whole league. My question is whether we really know that both of these statements refer to the same villain. I don't remember whether the statements were linked in that way.

Even if we do know that, of course, we don't know that the previous version had enough power to trouble the league. If the Finches want to re-imagine the Baroness, for instance, into the new goddess of domination (having qualified for godhood by recruiting enough worshipful slaves while she was WWII dominatrix), they can.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 09-24-2014 at 08:37 PM.