Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I could see all the prominent Green Lanterns (except Kyle) being early 30s at least. Alan Scott was lead engineer on a railroad tressel construction. They don't let people become test pilots right after getting their licenses. Stewart was a practicing architect (as originally created).
    And Guy Gardner was a cop (don't recall if he was a flatfoot or detective), so he was at least in his mid to late 20's, perhaps a tad older.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Invincible Member

When he debuted Mar-Vell had a full head of gray hair so you figure he was the Kree equivalent of a man in his mid-forties. I'm pretty sure it was during Starlin's run that it went blonde.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    When he debuted Mar-Vell had a full head of gray hair so you figure he was the Kree equivalent of a man in his mid-forties. I'm pretty sure it was during Starlin's run that it went blonde.
    You are correct, and Mar-Vell was an established war hero on his debut. However, he was relatively low in rank, and an alien to boot. While that doesn't explicitly imply youth, he also came along in the time of prematurely gray he-men like Race Bannon and Jeff Chandler.

So, you could be right, but it's not a lock.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    and rightly so
    ^^^i agreed w. Byrne on that one. Puck was fine as he was.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    ^^^well damn. Good one!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbr...ite-blond/amp/
    Last edited by Riv86672; 03-01-2021 at 07:43 PM.

Didn't occur to me until the mention of gray hair, but Cable was definitely not a young man, when he was introduced. Since he was inheriting leadership of an X-team, he was meant to be like a gritty, gun-toting version of Professor X or Magneto. Fiftyish, at least, right? Muscles and cybernetic arm aside.

Also leaving aside that he's currently a teenager or not much older.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

One of the things Marvel has done better than DC is allowing older heroes to even exist. Between constantly trying to find ways to make the JSA "cool" - be it de aging them, teaming them with kids, or simply murdering them - they've managed to make their elder statesmen a nearly toxic property.

And then there's the whole mess that was the New 52 characters all suddenly being 28 across the board... *eyeroll*
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Of course he got older over the years but 616 Nick Fury pretty sure wasn't all that6 young when he started out, in the comics anyway. Aaand there is Banshee. Forgot about him.

Even if Sgt. Fury was in his 20s in WWII, he would be in his 40s when brought onto Sheild.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    And Guy Gardner was a cop (don't recall if he was a flatfoot or detective), so he was at least in his mid to late 20's, perhaps a tad older.
    Wasn't he a gym teacher?
    Last edited by foxley; 03-02-2021 at 04:47 AM.

This one is a little odd, but I've been reading The Golden Age Sandman Archive which collects all of Wes Dodds' 'business suit and gas mask' appearances from Adventure Comics (and New York World's Fair Comics). These tales are full of little details that I don't think have ever been referenced again, but according to these tales Wes has not only graduated university but also served as a naval aviator. It is hard to see how he could be less than 30 at the start of his career (which, coincidentally I'm sure, ties in with his portrayal in Sandman Mystery Theatre).

Kate Spencers Manhunter
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    This one is a little odd, but I've been reading The Golden Age Sandman Archive which collects all of Wes Dodds' 'business suit and gas mask' appearances from Adventure Comics (and New York World's Fair Comics). These tales are full of little details that I don't think have ever been referenced again, but according to these tales Wes has not only graduated university but also served as a naval aviator. It is hard to see how he could be less than 30 at the start of his career (which, coincidentally I'm sure, ties in with his portrayal in Sandman Mystery Theatre).
    Interesting. The issue of All-Star Comics that had the JSA breakup to join the services after December 7th had Sandman joining the Marines as an artilleryman. Just goes to show that continuity wasn't a thing back in the day.