Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    So what did you enjoyed?

You might wanna check out Lemire and Grell's Green Arrow.

Cassandra Cain Batgirl series

And Hellblazer from the beginning.

Or just read Vertigo books, 99% of them are good.
    Oh that's interesting. I'll check out the Cassandra Cain Batgirl series for sure.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Action Comics by Pak and Kulder. Best Superman we've had in years outside of Morrison's work.

Justice League by Johns and Fabok. Not a fan of Johns or most of his JL work, but its been damned good since Fabok came on.

Bizarro by....whoever. One issue in and its an absolute blast.

Black Canary comes out this coming week (the 17th) and it looks very promising. Robin, Son of Batman seems like it has potential, and so does We Are Robin. Grayson is really good and I liked what little I've seen of Green Arrow's new creative team (I have yet to read the issue). If you like weird comics with a gallow's sense of humor, read Section 8 and then hunt down the old 90's series it came from, Hitman.

Outside of DC, I'd hunt down Green Hornet by Mark Waid, published by IDW (or was it BOOM!?), (really well done pulp style work with mostly clean, sharp art) Invincible by Robert Kirkman (the most heartfelt, violent, gripping, emotional superhero comic on earth, it'll draw you in and never let go), Saga, and Black Science, all from Image. Anything Hellboy related by Dark Horse, and Black Beetle, also I believe by Dark Horse, but only if you're a fan of the pulps.

For stuff from Marvel, its hard to say given that they're in the middle of Secret Wars and we're not sure yet what the Marvel U will look like when the dust settles, but I've enjoyed Ms. Marvel, Loki, Spider-Gwen, and Jason Aaron's Thor work.

But its hard to recommend good books, since quality is subjective and you only listed your opinion on a couple titles. Not to mention that DC is only two weeks past Convergence and Marvel isnt finished their big Event yet, so most of their titles are up in the air.
    Oh I'll make sure to check out Action Comics thank you.

As for Justice League the reviews aren't really great for that series, so I'd rather skip something that is only good at times.

Eh... Black Canary is written by Gail Simone right? Yeah her Tomb Raider and Batgirl writing has been pretty awful.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. Have you read the Stephanie Brown Batgirl Series?

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    We do not have context for which issues he read. That sentence could easily describe Batgirl before the new team took over. His comment on uninteresting villains for Detective Comics sounds a whole lot more like the pre- Brian Buccellato/Francis Manapul team.
    Oh I was referring to the Gail Simone run. As for the new run, not a fan of the artwork or the fact that it seems like something written for 15 Year old girls. Thanks for your suggestion tho. Is Stephanie Brown's run as Batgirl any good?
    Last edited by AAXL98; 06-14-2015 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Grayson.
    Omega Men.
    Is Stephanie Brown's run as Batgirl good?

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    GRAYSON
    CATWOMAN (#35-onwards)
    AQUAMAN

OMEGA MEN and HELLBLAZER are both off to real promising starts. BLACK CANARY will almost certainly be a wonderful book.

At IMAGE, LAZARUS rocks.

If you're in the mood for some TPBs, Morrison's ACTION COMICS, Azzarello's WONDER WOMAN, and Soule's SWAMP THING are both fantastic comic books.
    Yeah I'll check out Action Comics and Wonder Woman. Thanks!

As for Catwoman I'm really not sure. I'll have to take a look at the new issues released by the new team, supposedly Catwoman was the worst New 52 title before the new team were handed the title.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AhmedAliGHZ View Post
    Yeah I'll check out Action Comics and Wonder Woman. Thanks!

As for Catwoman I'm really not sure. I'll have to take a look at the new issues released by the new team, supposedly Catwoman was the worst New 52 title before the new team were handed the title.
    No problem, mate! I hope you enjoy both, they're easily my two favorite titles in the NEW 52. You might want to check out BATWOMAN: ELEGY and the JH Williams TPBs of the NEW 52 series, as well. WORLD'S FINEST is a Batwoman/Wonder Woman team up and it reads really well next to Azzarello's WONDER WOMAN run.

CATWOMAN was unreadable before Valentine took over, but it's a really amazing read currently. Can't recommend it enough, sir.

Is Stephanie Brown's run as Batgirl good?
    It never appealed to me.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

No problem, mate! I hope you enjoy both, they're easily my two favorite titles in the NEW 52. You might want to check out BATWOMAN: ELEGY and the JH Williams TPBs of the NEW 52 series, as well. WORLD'S FINEST is a Batwoman/Wonder Woman team up and it reads really well next to Azzarello's WONDER WOMAN run.

CATWOMAN was unreadable before Valentine took over, but it's a really amazing read currently. Can't recommend it enough, sir.
    Oh and about Wonder Woman... supposedly a new writer has been handed the title and it has gone down hill since then, is that true?

and oh cool, is Batwoman Elegy the origin of Batwoman? I guess I'll pick up the first 4 volumes of Batwoman then since Batgirl was a huge disappointment.

Really? Do you think Catwoman is worth getting now, or is it finally readable now? And what are the stories like, are they based on Catwoman only or does she have other side kicks with her?

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    It never appealed to me.
    Oh alright then, thanks for your reply.

Oh and about Wonder Woman... supposedly a new writer has been handed the title and it has gone down hill since then, is that true?

and oh cool, is Batwoman Elegy the origin of Batwoman? I guess I'll pick up the first 4 volumes of Batwoman then since Batgirl was a huge disappointment.

Really? Do you think Catwoman is worth getting now, or is it finally readable now? And what are the stories like, are they based on Catwoman only or does she have other side kicks with her?

Thanks again
    Wonder Woman was a great read until the Finches came onboard. I totally support giving the Brian Azzarello run a try. Its a slow burn, focused more on story and drama than pointless action for action's sake but its smart, layered, and fun in a thriller/horror kind of way. But it most certainly is not for everyone so dont be surprised if its not to your tastes. The book has definitely gone downhill since Azzarello left, but thats just how it goes. Some creative teams are great, others not so much. You'll never find a long running book that doesnt have some low points here and there.

And Batwoman Elegy was actually printed a few years ago in the pages of Detective Comics, not her own ongoing. The Batwoman ongoing which began in 2011 was done by the same creative team and directly follows up on Elegy however, (until a new writer took over shortly before the book ended). Well worth reading.
    Last edited by Ascended; 06-14-2015 at 05:56 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Oh I'll make sure to check out Action Comics thank you.

As for Justice League the reviews aren't really great for that series, so I'd rather skip something that is only good at times.

Eh... Black Canary is written by Gail Simone right? Yeah her Tomb Raider and Batgirl writing has been pretty awful.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. Have you read the Stephanie Brown Batgirl Series?
    No, Canary is not written by Simone. Its being written by....someone else, not sure what his/her name is. But Simone hasnt written Batgirl for a while either. I agree, her work on the book was rather lackluster by her usual standards (her GHOST was pretty decent though), but the current team is very, very well regarded and took the book in a completely different direction. Canary is following up on that movement, putting her as the lead singer of a rock band. You can read the eight page sneak peek for free from the Comixology or DC apps, and is well worth the free download. It looks like a lot of fun.

And no, I didnt read the Steph Brown series. I was quite fond of Cassandra Cain (her first series anyway) and have never really liked Steph, so I never bothered. But it was popular, and for all I know very good.

Oh, and Justice League certainly isnt something I would recommend as a whole, but give issue 41 a try. It's like a completely different book now, and 41 is a really great place to jump on without missing out on anything too vital.

Oh, I also recommend Snyder's Swamp Thing, and most certainly recommend sticking with that book when Soule takes over, right to the final issue from a couple months ago. And Lemire's Animal Man, both were great books. Dial H is like Tim Burton on superheroes, and if you like weird, high concept off the wall stuff, you'll love it. And Soule's Red Lanterns, which begins from issue 21 onward, is tons of fun, basically Sons of Anarchy meets Star Wars. You dont need to read the previous issues to get into it, issue 21 is as good a jumping on point as you'll need.
    Last edited by Ascended; 06-14-2015 at 05:59 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Thanks again
    Yep, Meredith and David Finch are working on the current WONDER WOMAN and it isn't very good at all. It's entertaining, at least- so you can pick it up, but the Azzarello/Chaing run wraps itself up pretty nicely at the end. I wouldn't recommend continuing after that unless you really grow to like WW as a character.

Elegy is the origin of BATWOMAN and it's written by her creator, Greg Rucka who sadly leaves right after that book. It's the best Batwoman book and the only Pre-New 52 one so after that you can jump right into the later stuff. Just make sure you get Elegy first cause it goes before Volume 1 of the series. The Rucka stuff and subsequent Williams stuff is fantastic(!).

The current CATWOMAN, under Valentine, reads like a noir/crime drama. It's very good. Lots of GOODFELLAS type stuff, with the occasional appearance by Batman and bad blokes like Black Mask. #35 and onward. Supposedly Stephanie Brown is going to play a bigger part in the series down the road. I'm not a fan of that character, but I know she has a lot of fans and I'm sure Valentine will do something interesting with her in this book.

Let us know what you think!
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 06-14-2015 at 06:00 PM.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Yep, Meredith and David Finch are working on the current WONDER WOMAN and it isn't very good at all. It's entertaining, at least- so you can pick it up, but the Azzarello/Chaing run wraps itself up pretty nicely at the end. I wouldn't recommend continuing after that unless you really grow to like WW as a character.
    That's the funny thing about serialized characters. Once you grow to like one (like WW written by Azz), you read same character by another writer and it's almost a completely different character you end up disliking (like WW written by Finch).

Luckily most are consistently written by different writers. WW, at least since the New 52, is not one of them, imo.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Mind MGMT, Promethea

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Astro City

I'll second Grayson and Omega Men.

The Batgirl series by Bryan Q. Miller (featuring Stephanie Brown) is really good, with a strong balance of humor and seriousness.

Batman: The Black Mirror (by Scott Snyder) and Batwoman: Elegy (by Greg Rucka) are both excellent. Black Mirror is Snyder's best Batman story. Batwoman's story continues with the JH Williams/W. Haden Blackman Batwoman run.

Brian Azzarello's Wonder Woman series is excellent.

I'll also recommend Greg Pak's Action Comics, starting with Vol. 5. Skip Vol. 6.

For other companies, check out Matt Fraction's Hawkeye, Mark Waid's Daredevil, Greg Rucka's Lazarus, and Jason Aaron's Southern Bastards.