Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Trump Calls Intelligence Leaks ‘Un-American,’ Says They’re ‘Just Like Russia’

Hmm! Considering how Cheeto Jesus is allegedly in bed with Bad Vlad and the Ivans, that comparison should make him happy.

Pulitzer Winner Eviscerates Trump: ‘Who The Hell Do You Think You Are?’

Pulitzer Prize-winning writer Leonard Pitts Jr. excoriated President Donald Trump in a scathing editorial published Tuesday,

The columnist started his piece by referring to Trump as “Mr. So-Called President,” a reference to Trump’s smearing of a federal judge who temporarily blocked his executive order on travel and immigration.

Pitts, speaking of senior policy adviser Stephen Miller’s disastrous appearances on Sunday news shows on which he said Trump’s authority “will not be questioned,” responded:

"What you do ‘will not be questioned?’ Lord, have mercy. That’s the kind of statement that, in another time and place, would have been greeted with an out-thrust palm and a hearty “Sieg heil!” Here in this time and place, however, it demands a different response:

Just who the hell do you think you are?

Meaning you and all the other trolls you have brought clambering up from under their bridges. Maybe you didn’t notice, but this is the United States of America. Perhaps you’ve heard of it? Nation of laws, not of individuals? First Amendment? Freedom of the press? Any of that ringing a bell?"

ICE Reportedly Detained A Domestic Violence Victim Who Sought Court Protection

The arrest could discourage other undocumented immigrants from reporting abuse. Smart move, you dumbass jackboots!

The Number Of Anti-Muslim Hate Groups In The U.S. Tripled In 2016

A new Southern Poverty Law Center report connects the rise in anti-Muslim hate to the rise of Donald Trump.

Trump Inspires Bipartisan Effort To Rein Him In On Russia

GOP and Democratic lawmakers introduced a bill requiring their sign-off for lifting sanctions on Putin.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post

ICE Reportedly Detained A Domestic Violence Victim Who Sought Court Protection

The arrest could discourage other undocumented immigrants from reporting abuse. Smart move, you dumbass jackboots!

From another article on that arrest...

http://www.elpasotimes.com/story/new...ourt/97965624/

ICE detains alleged domestic violence victim

AUSTIN — Federal immigration agents went to the El Paso County Courthouse last week and arrested an undocumented woman who had just received a protective order alleging that she was a victim of domestic violence.

The agents apparently detained the woman Feb. 9 after receiving a tip, possibly from her alleged abuser, whom they already had in custody, El Paso County Attorney Jo Anne Bernal said.

The detention has alarmed Bernal and other county officials who fear that the arrest will scare undocumented victims of domestic abuse into staying with their abusers for fear of being deported and separated from their children or other family members.

However, a criminal complaint on file with the U.S. District Court in El Paso indicates that a person of the same name as the alleged victim might have a history of deportation and domestic violence.

Bernal was not aware of the complaint, filed by U.S. immigration officials, when she spoke about the arrest earlier in the day. She said, however, that her office cooperates with federal authorities when serious crimes are alleged.

But she and other officials said protective-order courts are not the place for immigrant detentions.

“Our clients come to us at the lowest point in their lives,” said Bernal, whose office represents domestic abuse victims when they seek court orders against their abusers. “Many of them are so frightened of coming to us because of possible immigration concerns.”

Bernal said her office is taking steps to relieve those fears in the wake of last week’s arrest.

The alleged abuser, Mario Alberto De Avila, is jailed on a charge of forgery of a financial document, the criminal complaint states.

A spokeswoman for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement declined to comment Wednesday to questions about the incident.

The criminal complaint states that on Feb. 2, Homeland Security Investigations Border Enforcement Security Taskforce agents received information that Irvin Gonzalez, who also is known as Ervin Gonzalez, was in the U.S. despite having been previously deported. The information received stated that Gonzalez was staying at the Center Against Sexual and Family Violence.

The complaint, filed Feb. 9, indicates that Gonzalez, whom Bernal identified as transgender, had been deported six times since 2010 — apparently after arrests for crimes including possession of stolen mail, false imprisonment and assault.

Its narrative differs, however, from what Bernal unearthed in her investigation in a key respect. The complaint says Gonzalez was arrested on the street, while investigators looking into the detention for Bernal said it happened inside the courthouse.

"There were six ICE agents on the 10th floor," Bernal said.

The arrest comes at a time of heightened concerns that under the administration of President Donald Trump, ICE is expanding who it tries to deport and how it goes about deporting them.

Two years ago today we ran our profile of Ian Bayne, a failed candidate for the U.S. House of Representatives for Illinois’ 11th Congressional District in the 2014 elections. Bayne was a long shot from the start, but his odds went to the level of unlikely of navigating the Millenium Falcon through an asteroid field after he came rushing to the defense of Duck Dynasty star Phil Robertson after Robinson gave his now infamous screed against the gay community in GQ magazine. Because Bayne not only commended Robertson, he compared him to Civil Rights icon Rosa Parks for what he said. Maybe that sort of conservative trolling would help a guy get elected in Mississippi, but not Illinois.

It was one year ago that “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day” had its first profile of Mary Pilcher-Cook, a member of the Kansas State Senate since 2008 after having previously served eight years in the Kansas House of Representatives during the Bush administration. Pilcher-Cook came to our attention back in February 2015 when she introduced a bill, SB 56, which would have amended Kansas’ public morals statute by deleting an exemption that protects K-12 public, private and parochial schoolteachers from being prosecuted for presenting material deemed harmful to minors, focusing, but not limited to sex education classes.. In other words, any book could result in the arrest, prosecution, and possibly jailing of teachers and librarians, if “deemed harmful to minors”. She produced this legislation after supposedly receiving a single angry letter from a parent whose child’s sex education class had a poster that acknowledged that some people try oral or anal sex. Well, nothing says “party of smaller government” like going the full Mrs. Lovejoy and trying to ban books, and arrest teachers that don’t play ball and accommodate the supposed morality you feel the need to push on everyone, eh? Intelligent people pointed out that Pilcher-Cook’s bright idea would also ban reading to students that featured any discussion of “harmful” content, but she still hasn’t backed down, and was still threatening teachers with jail for teaching sex education. Really, though,

Mary Pilcher-Cook is a special, elite kind of social conservative. She once voted to place restrictions on any and all “adult entertainment" in the state, opposes the exceptions for rape and incest to exist for abortion, referring to them as “political hijinks”, wanted to pass a law to force women to report their miscarriages to the authorities, has tried to criminalize surrogate parenting (on the factually incorrect basis that those parents are "creating a child purposely that you know is not going to have a biological mother") and once had the Public Health and Awareness Committee host a meeting where they got to witness a live sonogram in the state legislature to try to justify a mandatory ultrasounds for abortions bill. And she scheduled it on the anniversary of the Roe v. Wade ruling.

Sadly, even with Kansas starting to push back against Republicans in the state legislature for being, quite frankly, complete hyperconservative idijts, Pilcher-Cook managed to win re-election in 2016 with 51% of the vote over Vicki Hiatt. This in spite of the fact that her own colleagues booted her off of the Senate Health and Public Committee, while she was serving as Chairwoman, because she tried to add an amendment to an unrelated bill to try and act against the Affordable Care Act, and prevent the Medicaid Expansion in Kansas. She still is doggedly obsessed with restricting abortion rights, as evidenced by a bill she co-sponsored only 10 days ago to do so.

We’ll continue to monitor Pilcher-Cook, and hope that she doesn’t do too much more damage to Kansas, which is already getting beat down pretty hard by GOP leadership under Sam Brownback.
    Last edited by worstblogever; 02-16-2017 at 03:33 AM.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImprobableQuestion View Post
    It's becoming increasingly apparent since the Pew Die Pie scandal that we've lost the youth of America. Gen X and the Millennials are an island of decency surrounded by old school autocrats who cannibalized their children's futures on o e side and new anti-opinion trolls on the other; desensitized to the reality of things like antisemitism and mysogeny by people like Felix, Matt, and Trey who thought it was hilarious that people still cared about them. The arrival of Bible-Thumping Grizzly Hunter Betsy DeVos means that teachers won't have much power to correct this behavior either. So we maybe get a a decade or two in between the death of the vbaby boomer disease and the coming of age of a group of people who will hurt others for laughs.

Just a question. Who is Matt and Trey? The only Matt I know is Mat Pat of Game Theory, but I don't think it's him that you're talking about.

Also, just a friendly reminder, the boomers aren't the only ones that voted for Trump, Gen X is still a bunch of Jaded types that are very much "lone hero" in thinking. There are good Boomers out there too, Please don't forget that.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Just a question. Who is Matt and Trey? The only Matt I know is Mat Pat of Game Theory, but I don't think it's him that you're talking about.

Also, just a friendly reminder, the boomers aren't the only ones that voted for Trump, Gen X is still a bunch of Jaded types that are very much "lone hero" in thinking. There are good Boomers out there too, Please don't forget that.
    He means Matt and Trey of South Park fame.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    He means Matt and Trey of South Park fame.
    Which is really pushing it since no person or issue is safe from getting satirized by them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    Which is really pushing it since no person or issue is safe from getting satirized by them.
    But it has pushed the idea that caring about anything is uncool.

Mighty Member

Correction: getting caught up in any kind of "trend" or "following/movement" is uncool, and it's better to be as fiercely individualistic (in values and philosophy at least) as possible despite whatever scorn it invites.
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 02-16-2017 at 05:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    Correction: getting caught up in any kind of "trend" or "following/movement" is uncool, and it's better to be as fiercely individualistic (in values and philosophy at least) as possible despite whatever scorn it invites.
    That's certainly part of it and I think that's what they 'mean' to some extent. CRITIC HULK had a good take on South Park in 2011.

https://filmcrithulk.wordpress.com/2...of-south-park/
    Last edited by Tendrin; 02-16-2017 at 05:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Ohhhhh!
    I AM WAY EXCITE.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    Ohhhhh!
    I AM WAY EXCITE.
    I do like American Horror Story and the election was a pretty big horror story in and of itself. This may work.

BANNED

the less you have, the less they can take away

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    I do like American Horror Story and the election was a pretty big horror story in and of itself. This may work.
    To me, it should be rather easy. I love his work, but he often ends seasons on a sloppy note.
    But, uh, if it is following the election, that won't even matter.
    This can only be brilliant, imo.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    To me, it should be rather easy. I love his work, but he often ends seasons on a sloppy note.
    But, uh, if it is following the election, that won't even matter.
    This can only be brilliant, imo.
    Ryan Murphy's "The people vs O J Simpson"was amazing IMO and I can imagine the wheels turning in his head now to get this thing cast. Maybe he can get Adam Baldwin to do Trump for that too. I remember those times pretty well and I was able to watch a lot of the trial on TV since I was on the evening shift part of the time. He really captured a lot of it very well.

On a side note, I'm looking forward to his take on the legendary Bette Davis / Joan Crawford feud coming up too. Great casting of Susan Sarandon as Bette and Jessica Lange as Joan. There were a lot of juicy stories about the filming of "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane"

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Ryan Murphy's "The people vs O J Simpson"was amazing IMO and I can imagine the wheels turning in his head now to get this thing cast. Maybe he can get Adam Baldwin to do Trump for that too. I remember those times pretty well and I was able to watch a lot of the trial on TV since I was on the evening shift part of the time. He really captured a lot of it very well.

On a side note, I'm looking forward to his take on the legendary Bette Davis / Joan Crawford feud coming up too. Great casting of Susan Sarandon as Bette and Jessica Lange as Joan. There were a lot of juicy stories about the filming of "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane"
    Thanks for the reminder!
    When does this air, and what channel, again? Do you know? Last I saw, I could not locate that info, but it's been a while since I saw the preview pics and articles.