Page 63 of 440 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113163 ... LastLast

I’m curious would it be bad if the Amazons did have magical abilities?

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

All superheroes are a mix of sci-fi pulp detective and fantasy. Some lean more towards the sci-fi end of the triangle (Green Lantern Superman) while others lean more towards the Pulp detective side(Batman, pretty much every street-level hero). Wonder Woman clearly plays more towards the fantasy side of things but there are levels to this. She has more in common with Shazam, and Aqua-man then Superman.
    I think the focus on myth is meant to solidify where she falls on the superhero diagram. I’m not sure “Superhero that’s all over the map genre and theme-wise” works nowadays. Most superheroes have specialized into a niche. It a result of having so many superheroes in the stand. It’s not enough to say “I'm A superhero” you have to clarify what type of superhero are you.
    Last edited by mathew101281; 09-06-2019 at 09:30 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    All superheroes are a mix of sci-fi pulp detective and fantasy. Some lean more towards the sci-fi end of the triangle (Green Lantern Superman) while others lean more towards the Pulp detective side(Batman, pretty much every street level hero). Wonder Woman clearly plays more towards the fantasy side of things but their are levels to this. She has more in common with Shazam ,and Aqua-man then Superman.
    I think that's more the case now specifically than her entire history.
    And even Atlantis gets to keep all its tech and isn't a purely magical place.

Incredible Member

So here's a question. She Wonder Woman and her respective cast be involved in magic in any form or should it be ignored all together?

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    All superheroes are a mix of sci-fi pulp detective and fantasy. Some lean more towards the sci-fi end of the triangle (Green Lantern Superman) while others lean more towards the Pulp detective side(Batman, pretty much every street-level hero). Wonder Woman clearly plays more towards the fantasy side of things but there are levels to this. She has more in common with Shazam, and Aqua-man then Superman.
    I think the focus on myth is meant to solidify where she falls on the superhero diagram. I’m not sure “Superhero that’s all over the map genre and theme-wise” works nowadays. Most superheroes have specialized into a niche. It a result of having so many superheroes in the stand. It’s not enough to say “I'm A superhero” you have to clarify what type of superhero are you.
    She's probably got more in common with Hawkman, Tom Strong, John Carter of Mars, Lara Croft and Flash Gordon. Switch the polarity on Buck Rogers stories, making Princess Ardala the daring hero, escaping from an exotic life, and Buck into the love interest, ..you'd have something very close to the perfect WW story! The problem with the WW comic is that those kinds of stories, ones in which the heroes are constantly trotting off to weird, exciting places, ..require very imaginative writers. So far, WW writers just want to play with her incidentals...the magic, Greek myth, etc.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Here's an idea: what if the Queen of Fables IS Circe? Like, Circe takes on that role during the Middle Ages, but in order to avoid getting sealed away creates a magical golem or something that can act on its own that gets trapped in her stead?

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Here's an idea: what if the Queen of Fables IS Circe? Like, Circe takes on that role during the Middle Ages, but in order to avoid getting sealed away creates a magical golem or something that can act on its own that gets trapped in her stead?
    ......that's pretty clever.

I can see that being done well. Yeah, I'd be down with it. Gods know Circe needs *something* because "evil magic diva" just doesn't seem to be getting her very far.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    ......that's pretty clever.

I can see that being done well. Yeah, I'd be down with it. Gods know Circe needs *something* because "evil magic diva" just doesn't seem to be getting her very far.
    Basically, every "evil witch manipulator" in mythology? Either was her or deliberatly aping her.

What about the other way around? Circe is trapped but due to the men, she trapped on her Island. She is able to use their life force to make herself Astro projected? She can touch items but no one can touch her. She uses the Queen of Fable id. The Amazons check on Circe bu she is doing nothing wrong. To them. The Amazons have a special unit who use magic to deal with Circe. What I have another idea. There was an Amazonian sorcerer. What if Circe was that? Or her daughter was the Amazonian sorcerer. She and her mother are working together.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 09-06-2019 at 07:03 PM.

Marston would have LOVED her. Queen of Fables is just about the WEIRDEST supervillain, whom WW has ever faced, with possible except of Egg Fu. I can look the other way, while one of you gives Circe bad directions to the cliffs edge.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 09-06-2019 at 10:02 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    She's probably got more in common with Hawkman, Tom Strong, John Carter of Mars, Lara Croft and Flash Gordon.
    These characters either have nothing in common with Diana or only resemble her in the most shallow of ways. It seems more like you want her to be like these guys rather than her already being like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    These characters either have nothing in common with Diana or only resemble her in the most shallow of ways. It seems more like you want her to be like these guys rather than her already being like them.
    I think you're presuming a great deal, here, about what it seems that I want. There's not enough...you haven't offered enough here to be clear about it. As I gave an example of what I had in mind, so should you.

Flash Gordon and Hawkman most certainly do have much in common with Wonder Woman. Students of the Golden Age know this, well.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 09-06-2019 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I think you're presuming a great deal, here, about what it seems that I want. There's not enough...you haven't offered enough here to be clear about it. As I gave an example of what I had in mind, so should you.

Flash Gordon and Hawkman most certainly do have much in common with Wonder Woman. Students of the Golden Age know this, well.
    1) This isn't the Golden Age (and the more people remember this the better).

2) Even ignoring 1, what do Flash Gordon and Hawkman have in common with Wonder Woman? The former is a space guy and the latter is either a cop from outer space or an archeologist whose a reincarnation of somebody or else or both at the same time.

2) Even ignoring 1, what do Flash Gordon and Hawkman have in common with Wonder Woman? The former is a space guy and the latter is either a cop from outer space or an archeologist whose a reincarnation of somebody or else or both at the same time.
    Their Golden Age stories are very similar, in that many of them took the heroes to strange or futuristic worlds, which resembled classical civilizations, where they fought evil, with archaic weapons.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 09-07-2019 at 04:18 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    So here's a question. She Wonder Woman and her respective cast be involved in magic in any form or should it be ignored all together?
    I don't think it can be ignored, but the way it is now it's just not a major factor for Wonder Woman and those thought to be her major supporting characters. She, Donna and Cassie use magical tools along with non-magical, mortal supporting characters like Steve and Etta don't use it, the Amazons live in a mystical setting but aren't magic users themselves aside from Magala, who was gone 2-3 reboots ago, etc.

I think if writers want more magical stuff beyond Circe stories, some new characters would have to be introduced.

Why? Because you don't like the Golden Age stories?
    We really don't need to be reminded it isn't the Golden Age anymore, but people can still like or prefer some of the stuff from that era. There are plenty of dated ideas there we don't need to see return (we all have an idea which ones, the same ones prevalent throughout a lot of golden age material) but plenty of it could still work as is or be updated the same as the silver, bronze or even early modern age stories.

Most of the resistance I see is that it's old and not tied too much to Greek myth, neither of which is especially convincing.