Mighty Member

Default Did Thor really kill the orginal Aries?

This was back in Avengers v.1 no.82 1970. Aries, first leader of Zodiac, was threatening to destroy Manhattan from his airship. Thor destroyed the airship and presumably everyone on it with lightning. I understand the urgency of stopping Aries, but Thor, like all Asgardians, was pledged never to kill a mortal, or face the consequences from Odin (at least in those days). Now maybe this was magic lightning that sent Aries to another dimension for a time, but all references say Aries is dead as a doornail. Maybe this is why Thor became unworthy then.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    This was back in Avengers v.1 no.82 1970. Aries, first leader of Zodiac, was threatening to destroy Manhattan from his airship. Thor destroyed the airship and presumably everyone on it with lightning. I understand the urgency of stopping Aries, but Thor, like all Asgardians, was pledged never to kill a mortal, or face the consequences from Odin (at least in those days). Now maybe this was magic lightning that sent Aries to another dimension for a time, but all references say Aries is dead as a doornail. Maybe this is why Thor became unworthy then.
    Yes, I believe he did.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 09-16-2019 at 05:22 PM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Hmmmn. But wasn't Ares back with the team when the Zodack faced the Avengers in the early #120's?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Hmmmn. But wasn't Ares back with the team when the Zodack faced the Avengers in the early #120's?
    Nope, that was Aries 2. Isn't there a song, Aries 2?

Considering the context of why it happened (Aries had a deathwish and was in the process of killing all of Manhattan with a shrinking impenetrable force-field -talk about getting close to your neighbors), and that Thor called on Odin to make his attack, I'm thinking he was given a pardon.
    I don't know if it was picked up on in Thor's book later or not, but that's where I'd expect any follow ups to be found.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Considering the context of why it happened (Aries had a deathwish and was in the process of killing all of Manhattan with a shrinking impenetrable force-field -talk about getting close to your neighbors), and that Thor called on Odin to make his attack, I'm thinking he was given a pardon.
    I don't know if it was picked up on in Thor's book later or not, but that's where I'd expect any follow ups to be found.
    I don't have that issue anymore (had to sacrifice my comics collection for economic reasons) so I forgot about Odin's part in it. Thanks!

I don't have that issue anymore (had to sacrifice my comics collection for economic reasons) so I forgot about Odin's part in it. Thanks!
    He just called on him as he made his attack, but I'm guessing if anything came of it, they would've put the responsibility of Thor's action on Odin.
    Granted, if Thor had failed, pretty much all of Manhattan, including the Avengers, would've died when the force field crushed them all.

And, I believe during that time in comics, if a villain says 'I'd rather die than surrender...', it's almost a guarantee that they're going to die, but usually by their own hand.
    Aries was going to die. He already resigned himself to that fate.
    He was just gonna try to take all of Manhattan with him.

Mighty Member

The song I was thinking about is Eres Tu by Mocedades and José Maria Napoleon.