Page 6 of 78 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I cant really consider bourne a flop. Only one of his movies made over 200 million domestic. Its never been that huge of a franchise as some make it out to be.
    True, but that one movie was the last Damon Bourne movie--Ultimatum--before the current one. A sequel that costs more and earns significantly less than its predecessor is generally considered a failure.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by buckwhizzle View Post
    I really hope SS makes enough for a sequel.I want to see Bronze Tiger and Lashina.Will Smith ruined this movie for me.I would've like Deadshot Arrow instead.Just my 2 cents.
    Its easily gonna make enough for a sequel

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    True, but that one movie was the last Damon Bourne movie--Ultimatum--before the current one. A sequel that costs more and earns significantly less than its predecessor is generally considered a failure.
    Ya. I get what u are saying. I kind of look at them as bond type movies or mission impossible your gonna have your ups and downs. I dont have clue if they lost money on it. Heck the potter movies didnt all make more than the one prior to it and i dont think anyone considers any of them failures.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Ya. I get what u are saying. I kind of look at them as bond type movies or mission impossible your gonna have your ups and downs. I dont have clue if they lost money on it. Heck the potter movies didnt all make more than the one prior to it and i dont think anyone considers any of them failures.
    Jason Bourne cost $10 mil more to make than Ultimatum, earned less than half as much at the box office overall and failed to break even domestically or internationally. Even if J.B. earned a small profit (which is pretty unlikely), in the eyes of the studio, that's a flop.

Astonishing Member

Jason Bourne cost $10 mil more to make than Ultimatum, earned less than half as much at the box office overall and failed to break even domestically or internationally. Even if J.B. earned a small profit (which is pretty unlikely), in the eyes of the studio, that's a flop.
    Ya your probably right. Im sure they were hoping for at least 200 million domestic. And with damon coming back everything seemed to be lined up for it. It got squashed between beyond and suicide squad and it really didnt have the audience that the studio thought. Interesting. Weird summer.

True thats why TAS2 is considered a flop when it made over 700mil. The one before made more and while having similar budgets they spent more on amrketing for TAS2 supposedly. Then there was also bad word of mouth on the movie and then sony got hacked. The movie wasnt a financial failure like an earlier poster said, it just didnt live up to expectations.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    True thats why TAS2 is considered a flop when it made over 700mil. The one before made more and while having similar budgets they spent more on amrketing for TAS2 supposedly. Then there was also bad word of mouth on the movie and then sony got hacked. The movie wasnt a financial failure like an earlier poster said, it just didnt live up to expectations.
    I just think when you are looking at a big special effects superhero movie like asm2 and you are only bringing in 200 million domestic its not good now a days. The days of people saying oh look cap 1 brought in 170 or thor 1 brought in 180 or whatever are gone. Thats why you see them keep adding things and not even making them solo movies. Like winter soldier or civil war. Thor learned that lesson thats why they are throwing in hulk. Where this all ends up beats me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Not really the same thing, though. The key phrase in my description of Ultimatum vs. J.B. is "earned significantly less." ASM2 earned about $50 mill less than ASM at the box office, with overall earnings in excess of $700 mill, while Jason Bourne earned $235 mill less than Ultimatum at the box office, against an overall take of barely over $200 mill. Huge difference. Also, ASM2 earned almost 3 times as much overall as its production budget (not factoring in marketing because none of us actually have any clue what any of these movies actually spend on marketing) whereas Jason Bourne didn't even double its budget. ASM2 may have been considered a disappointment when measured against expectations, but it was not a "flop" along the same lines that Jason Bourne was.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    To BvS, so the film didn't cross a billion worldwide. It's still the 2nd highest grossing comic book movie of the year, and the 5th highest grossing movie of the year (behind Captain America CW, Zootopia, Jungle Book and now Finding Dory).
    BvS had a higher budget than all the other movies you listed. It also has one of the highest production budgets for a CBM ($250mm) and of the other $250mm budget CBMs it did the least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    If BvS underperformed anywhere it was with foreign audiences. Domestically it made over $330 million, which is great. But saying BvS is a flop, is a big stretch. Disappointment though, sure.
    BvS made less then Deadpool stateside. In fact, if you don't count China (which Deadpool didn't open in) it made less than Deadpool worldwide. Deadpool had about 20% of BvS's budget as well.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Rock View Post
    BvS had a higher budget than all the other movies you listed. It also has one of the highest production budgets for a CBM ($250mm) and of the other $250mm budget CBMs it did the least.
    BvS and CACW have the same production budget.

BvS made less then Deadpool stateside. In fact, if you don't count China (which Deadpool didn't open in) it made less than Deadpool worldwide. Deadpool had about 20% of BvS's budget as well.
    So? Why are you bringing up Deadpool? We're talking about BvS and Suicide Squad. Not totem polling other comic book movies.

Astonishing Member

Almost every cbm ever made has made less than deadpool stateside and none have made as much with as little investment. I dont think anyone can compare deadpool to anything. Maybe blair witch project.

I think moviegoers are starting to get tired of superhero movies altogether. Marvel made it cool for a while and they capitalized off it, DC tried to get on the train too late, and now the ride is winding down.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-13-2016 at 09:30 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I think moviegoers are starting to get tired of superhero movies altogether. Marvel made it cool for a while and they capitalized off it, DC tried to get on the train too late, and now the ride is winding down.
    If you consider 4 of the top ten movies of the year domestic and 5 of the top ten movies worldwide winding down well i guess they are winding down.

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Calighoula View Post
    Or: how is the DCEU "toast" while the X-franchise isn't? Deadpool can't sustain all those movies...unless they only make Deadpool movies. Which they might!
    God all I can think now is Fox will do Fan4stic vs Deadpool just to keep the rights to both lines.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Calighoula View Post
    Or: how is the DCEU "toast" while the X-franchise isn't? Deadpool can't sustain all those movies...unless they only make Deadpool movies. Which they might!
    Because the DCEU has failed to put out one decent film. X:A was decent but the premise was generic superhero at this point and the marketing was not stellar.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 08-13-2016 at 10:21 PM.