Page 373 of 613 FirstFirst ... 273323363369370371372373374375376377383423473 ... LastLast
Results 5,581 to 5,595 of 9194
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I love Jon and he worked best as a child thus far, and I do prefer a married Superman than not at this juncture, but I don't get the Bendis hate. The books have been good (Superman) to great (Action) and he's expanding the line and influence of the Superbooks to a point not seen since New Krypton (and I'm a lot more engaged now than I was then).

Is there some reason for concern? Sure. The narrative could take a huge dive and ruin the Kent-Lane family. It could also be a great story that redoubles the need for them to be together and be a great chapter in Jon's life.

"Truth" this is not, and I'm usually prone to my share of over-reaction.

Relax. We're getting Conner back, Jimmy and Lois are getting books by acclaimed writers, Superman is at the forefront of an event and an entire imprint is being launched with him involved in each to some measure.

All things considered, it's a great time to be a Superman fan. I loved Rebirth too, but I don't think we'd be here if that kept up. The major loss was Super Sons, but that could eventually return too and Wonder Comics, Lois and Jimmy are worth the trade off in my mind.
    All it took was Jon Kent to be Chris kented away

My friends child who loved super sons literally lost interest in superman stories because of this age up. But of course we are getting Lois lane comics(a character less interesting without superman) and a Jimmy Olsen comic(where Zack Snyder had to kill to make interesting, which goes to show you how NOT interesting he is)

But yes, those 2 deserve a comic over the now unwrittable super sons...a dynamic that was actually popular
    Last edited by jason white reborn; 03-04-2019 at 04:33 AM.

BANNED

Jimmy and Lois are getting books by acclaimed writers
    That's what I'm concerned as well as excited about. Obviously the modern marraige concept was initiated so as to free Lois up for oppertunjties like this, but I sometimes worry we won't see much interaction between Lois and Clark in this book, and it'll lead to Lois being phased out of Action Comics and Superman entirely, they'd still be together, but casual readers would'nt be able to tell anymore if they are. I think Lois would work well more as a maxi-series than an actual ongoing, an ongoing means once he tells his story, Rucka won't be on the title forever and it'll eventually be passed on to writers who might not understand Lois or what she means to Clark and Jon as well as Rucka. Maybe they could get Jurgens to do it after him, I want to make sure that they don't forget Lois' connections to Clark or Jon in her own title.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jason white reborn View Post
    All it took was Jon Kent to be Chris kented away

My friends child who loved super sons literally lost interest in superman stories because of this age up. But of course we are getting Lois lane comics(a character less interesting without superman) and a Jimmy Olsen comic(where Zack Snyder had to kill to make interesting, which goes to show you how NOT interesting he is)

But yes, those 2 deserve a comic over the now unwrittable super sons...a dynamic that was actually popular
    I really can't agree with you on either points about Lois or Jimmy, and based on your comments I'm not sure how you can conflate Lois Lane and unpopular. She's present in every adaption, has had her own long-running series and some YA novels as well as headlining a primetime TV show with Clark.

As for Jimmy, that kid is a lightning rod for strange and I'm interested to see what they have in store for him. The last time he had a solo, we got Darkseid after all.

That sucks for your friend's son, nobody likes it when something they read is cancelled, but every book is that for someone else. There will be young girls reading Lois Lane who are devastated when it ends. I was crushed as a kid when books I loved got dropped too, but that's comics. Things end, you find new things to read.

I get you're frustrated about Jon, but you're overvaluing his worth. He's not, nor will he ever, be a more important or engaging character than Lois Lane. I just don't see it.

BANNED

He's not, nor will he ever, be a more important or engaging character than Lois Lane. I just don't see it.
    He's Lois' SON, he's just as important and compelling because he is an extension of her and Clark's love story.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    He's Lois' SON, he's just as important and compelling because he is an extension of her and Clark's love story.
    To Clark? Sure. To the narrative, not so much. Don't treat him as a Clois merit badge. It's a disservice to the character. You're acting like the most important thing about him is that he's proof his parents banged. If the most interesting thing you could think of to define a person is their relationship to someone else, they're boring and you're better off hearing about the other person.

Lois has been built on for 80 years and was a strong female voice in a male power fantasy since the '30s. She is more culturally relevant and had provided more to the IP as a whole than any other supporting character outside, perhaps, Lex Luthor.

I love Jon. I wish he stayed a kid and developed his supporting cast that the Rebirth teams were building. I think he had a great design and was a fun, upbeat character that was ready to tell some fun stories.

He's still not on Lois Lane's level and never will be. No supporting cast member of his universe ever really will because of what she means both in and out of comics. Jon will, at best, be under Lois and Lex in terms of importance, which is still pretty good since that puts him among Perry, Jimmy and the Kents.

I promise you will forever see them in adaptions and Jon will be in some, but not all, because he's not nearly as essential a piece of the Superman puzzle no matter what Clark or Lois may feel given they're his parents
    Last edited by Robanker; 03-04-2019 at 05:26 AM.

BANNED

To Clark? Sure. To the narrative, not so much. Don't treat him as a Clois merit badge. It's a disservice to the character. You're acting like the most important thing about him is that he's proof his parents banged. If the most interesting thing you could think of to define a person is their relationship to someone else, they're boring and you're better off hearing about the other person.

Lois has been built on for 80 years and was a strong female voice in a male power fantasy since the '30s. She is more culturally relevant and had provided more to the IP as a whole than any other supporting character outside, perhaps, Lex Luthor.

I love Jon. I wish he stayed a kid and developed his supporting cast that the Rebirth teams were building. I think he had a great design and was a fun, upbeat character that was ready to tell some fun stories.

He's still not on Lois Lane's level and never will be. No supporting cast member of his universe ever really will because of what she means both in and out of comics. Jon will, at best, be under Lois and Lex in terms of importance, which is still pretty good since that puts him among Perry, Jimmy and the Kents.

I promise you will forever see them in adaptions and Jon will be in some, but not all, because he's not nearly as essential a piece of the Superman puzzle no matter what Clark or Lois may feel given they're his parents
    And whose fault is that....bendis

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    Sales didn't fall into the 40K range for the Rebirth Superman comics as fast as they have for Bendis' Superman though. In this market falling sales is the norm but Bendis has fallen faster than DC wanted him to. I'd have been OK with a new writer taking over from Jurgens personally but I'd still take Jurgens at his worst over Bendis at his best. Also the comments from retailers that fans feel this isn't their Superman anymore is something I called when Bendis was announced to take over.
    I couldn't have said it better myself, Lvenger.

If its anyone's fault its yours if you truly think he's anywhere on Lois's level regardless his in-continuity age. We're talking about a character whose existed for 3 years or so compared to one who's 80 and an international icon. Pump the brakes on where you think this character was at, before Bendis or otherwise, because its not where you think it is.

We will take superman back while your new 52 superman will stay dead
    No one's going to feel sorry for you not getting what you want when you like to rub it in to others like this, fyi. On that note, he's not dead anymore.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-04-2019 at 08:06 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Bendis is also responsible for the greatest surge in expanding the Superman line for a very long time. It's not all negative, dude. Stop trying to push this narrative.

BANNED

Bendis is also responsible for the greatest surge in expanding the Superman line for a very long time. It's not all negative, dude. Stop trying to push this narrative.
    He was also responsible for the worst version of superman since Zack Snyder and the worse sales decline since new 52 and the utter destruction of the superman family.

But I guess Jimmy Olsen and Lois getting comics was worth all that pain

BANNED

What price comes with that expansion though? Lois gets an ongoing, but does that mean interacting less with Clark and not giving Superman fans more of what they want from the most iconic couple in comics?

Jimmy also has taken large steps back in characterisation since even the New 52 when he was a confidante, he's more like a Hanna Barbera cartoon than the person he was in the triangle era, I don't think a Jimmy like the one Bendis has presented is sustainable in anything other than a Silver Age homage.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 03-04-2019 at 07:50 AM.

BANNED

Pretty sure we lost Superwoman, New Super-man and Super Sons when Bendis came over.

Mighty Member

All things considered, it's a great time to be a Superman fan. I loved Rebirth too, but I don't think we'd be here if that kept up. The major loss was Super Sons, but that could eventually return too and Wonder Comics, Lois and Jimmy are worth the trade off in my mind.
    But why does it have to be a trade off? It generally sucks that we miss out on seeing seven years of Jon's life and that the Super Sons dynamic which had not been fully explored is over. Yet, we haven't really gained anything from Jon being aged up. Jon being 10 doesn't prevent Wonder Comics from happening, or Lois and Jimmy from getting their own books. It doesn't even prevent Clark and Jon from going on a cosmic road trip to stop Jor-El or whatever. It is completely needless other than giving Superman angst.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Jimmy also has taken large steps back in characterisation since even the New 52 when he was a confidante, he's more like a Hanna Barbera cartoon than the person he was in the triangle era, I don't think a Jimmy like the one Bendis has presented is sustainable in anything other than a Silver Age homage.
    As a long time Jimmy Olsen fan I can't disagree more. The dude's getting an ongoing book with a super star creative team, and before that Bendis has been writing him as an active and proactive photojournalist. And he's giving him prominence in DCU event.

This is nothing short of a major upgrade in every sense of the word.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    The dude's getting an ongoing book with a super star creative team, and before that Bendis has been writing him as an active and proactive photojournalist. And he's giving him prominence in DCU event.
    Really? I see Bendis write him as a fall guy who has poor taste in girlfriends and is such a nervous wreck he has to crash in Lois and Clark's apartment and can't hold his nerve against Perry's ire.