Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I'm waiting to see which celebrity will be the first to sue his accuser (did Bill Cosby do that?)

If the accuser can't prove the accusation, they'll be on the hook for slander. Then things will really start to get nasty. Nastier, I mean.
    Brett Ratner is suing one of the women he raped.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Ben Affleck? who are we talking about, here? I know that Casey Affleck was accused.
    Ben Affleck was accused of groping Hilarie Burton, and there was no denying it since it happened on camera. Afterwards, other women also accused him of groping them.
    Last edited by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever; 11-10-2017 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post

It wasn't her choice to be outed, whether she realized she was gay at the time or not. That kind of **** is just unacceptable.
    how was she outed if she didnt even know?

Did he even know? This could easily be a rude joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Oh man...

I know Kreisberg has gotten some flak for his writing of women, particularly Black Canary, so a part of me is kinda not surprised by this.
    what does one have to do with the other?

I mean, the reports includes men.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Whereas, I look at the current apology tour from Louis CK and he seems to have gotten ahead of the story, by admitting to everything
    Nope. This **** came out years ago and he refused to talk about it. For. Years.

Takei Responded on FB and says it didn’t happen. I need more to go on before I believe the accusations against him. It seems less cut and dry than some of the others who’ve been accused. Takei is an easy target for many reasons.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Dangerous situation when we decide accusation = guilt.

Many of these accusations, perhaps most of them, may be true. But in most cases there's no way to tell the ones that are from the ones that aren't. If we just assume that everyone being accused is guilty, that opens the door for bad people to take advantage. There's nothing worse than scammers and publicity hounds who hide amongst real victims... but many of these accusations are from 30 years ago or more, and there is no evidence other than someone's say-so.

Not every man in Hollywood can be a rapist.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Dangerous situation when we decide accusation = guilt.

Many of these accusations, perhaps most of them, may be true. But in most cases there's no way to tell the ones that are from the ones that aren't. If we just assume that everyone being accused is guilty, that opens the door for bad people to take advantage. There's nothing worse than scammers and publicity hounds who hide amongst real victims... but many of these accusations are from 30 years ago or more, and there is no evidence other than someone's say-so.

Not every man in Hollywood can be a rapist.
    Yep. At a certain point it can easily turn into a witch hunt, and the more people who are accused, so Too rises the probability that some of these accusations are by opportunists with an agenda.

Obviously there’s a lot of rotten people in Hollywood, and proof is coming out against many of them. A single accusation alone is not proof.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Nope. This **** came out years ago and he refused to talk about it. For. Years.
    I'm talking about how CK formulated the apology, once the story gained some traction and he couldn't just ignore the charges. My point was about how he got ahead of that story, once his people realized it couldn't be denied anymore, and formulated a better-crafted apology (non-apology) than the ones from Weinstein or Spacey.

I'm not talking about the merit of the accusations and how the accused have behaved in the past. I'm saying that the public is reacting according to how well they think the accused react to the charges--their "apology tour."

I was narrowing my comments just to talk about that aspect of these events. I wasn't trying to get into the deep waters of the actual cases. A story seems to gain traction by how much it's tossed around in social media--and then it's that reaction and response that gains a following rather than the original story. Some people don't even bother to read the original reporting.

It might even be that as more stories emerge, there's a kind of equivocation, as people tune out the specific cases and just react to all of it as a whole. The temptation is just to hand wave and say that all those people are bad. Which might be a PR strategy in itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I'm talking about how CK formulated the apology, once the story gained some traction and he couldn't just ignore the charges.
    He apologized years ago. To the only people he actually owed an apology.

How much worth does the apology have when it's this late?

He apologized years ago to the women.

The public was never owed an apology.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

I wouldn't be surprised if Miss Piggy or Kermit the Frog came forward and filed sexual harassment charges against former producers of the Muppet Show.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Ollie 1962 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if Miss Piggy or Kermit the Frog came forward and filed sexual harassment charges against former producers of the Muppet Show.
    Well, the guy that did the Elmo voice was fired cause he was messing with kids so this kinda happen already.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    The issue though is that really no one thinks, "Oh, OJ was found not guilty by a court of his peers so didn't knife his ex-wife." Yet, we are essentially being told by objectors that this is how we should treat women who raise claims of sexual harassment, that their claims need to be treated with a layer of extra caution and need to be verified by a judge and jury. I can say Henry Kissinger is a war criminal and Bill Cosby is a rapist, with or without some court decision.
    The difference is that in OJ's case there was a mountain of evidence that was presented to the public. Whereas these all come under a "he said, she said" and it's very easy to say something happened and it's just as easy to say it didn't. And when that is the case, it is slippery slope to auto condemn the accused based off a he said she said. That's why rape and sexual assault has been such a grey area in the court system because it ultimately devolves to each side slandering each other's character and looking for reasons to discredit the other.

Cosby and Weinstein are outliers where you have so many people independently saying the exact same thing that it's hard to envision conspiracy scenario. That said, I'm not so sure if you went through every single accusation against them that they'd all hold up. But in other people in one off instances, again it's a grey area.

And we know that false sexual assault and rape accusations actually happen. So it's difficult in every single instance to take a he said she said and ere on the side of the accused and completely trash someone's career and reputation in the interests of remaining sensitive to a potential victim. Again it's an incredibly difficult area in law.

Extraordinary Member

Depends. It's entirely possible that years later Louis CK changed and when he apologized to them privately it was more authentic than it would have been if he just did it to cover for himself back in the day. I think in that case it depends on the circumstance entirely. Not that it necessarily matters because he's admitting to it so we know he did commit the offenses and he shouldn't be off the hook

BANNED

I've just become a lot bigger fan of Wonder Woman than I was a few minutes ago.

Gal Gadot will only be ‘Wonder Woman’ again if Brett Ratner is out