Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pitch a Direction: Firestorm

I have seen a lot of 'Pitch a Direction' threads from various forums, and it inspires me to make a 'Direction' Pitch for an obscure character in the DCU, who have not been used much.

From my viewpoint, Firestorm to me is an underutilized character who should be used more, he has the firepower (pun not intended) to rival top-tier heroes such as Superman and Wonder Woman, and he can manipulate/transmute matter which makes him one of the most powerful superheroes in the DC Universe.

What are your directions for the nuclear-powered hero?
    Last edited by Incognito; 02-20-2019 at 02:09 PM.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Oh jeez. To be brutally honest I'm not incredibly familiar with Firestorm. However if there was a gun to my head stating that I HAD to write a new Firestorm series I would probably have a new character in the role, and continue the geopolitical tone of the John Ostrander and New 52 series.

Honestly I think it would be interesting if they did a Firestorm series where his powers suddenly transmuted into matter from other dimensions or planets. Because honestly how cool would it be if Firestorm just decided that he knew enough about earth matter, so why not go off and learn how to transmute into things he's never seen before on some distant alien world or maybe even magic. I mean what if he was to transmute matter on Gemworld or when fighting alongside the Justice League Dark or Odyssey. Don't focus solely on earth matter because if he can learn to make Kryptonite in some instances who knows what else he could do. He's been in science, now lets throw him out of his element into science fiction or fantasy.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Honestly I think it would be interesting if they did a Firestorm series where his powers suddenly transmuted into matter from other dimensions or planets. Because honestly how cool would it be if Firestorm just decided that he knew enough about earth matter, so why not go off and learn how to transmute into things he's never seen before on some distant alien world or maybe even magic. I mean what if he was to transmute matter on Gemworld or when fighting alongside the Justice League Dark or Odyssey. Don't focus solely on earth matter because if he can learn to make Kryptonite in some instances who knows what else he could do. He's been in science, now lets throw him out of his element into science fiction or fantasy.
    Holy crap. By merely reading this post I now understand the entire appeal of the character.

I would do this with the creative team of Warren Ellis & Babs Tar.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 02-20-2019 at 05:36 PM.

Well, explaining everything I'd do would result in a pretty long post so I'll just keep it short. I put a ton of thought into this a year or two ago when I made the same thread.

We're going to "Miles Morales" the hell out of Firestorm. Forget the Nuclear Man, we're going to dig deeper and explore some cutting edge science with the Quantum Man. The Firestorm Matrix would play a big role; its a unifying, fundamental force in the universe responsible for molecular bonding; that's a huge thing to explore and be responsible for. Calabi-Yao manifolds, gravimetric waves, FTL theory......there's so much cool stuff happening in science these days, and Firestorm would ride that wave. What the Speed Force is for Flash, the Firestorm Matrix should be for Firestorm and its a realm worth exploring. Especially the cities inside it. Oh yeah, those would be weird as hell.

I'd play up the importance of Martin Stein in the science community, making him the head Director of STAR Labs and the go-to nuclear physicist on earth. I'd take Ronnie and Jason both out of it and introduce a 14 year old character to be the other half of 'Storm (playing up the generation gap with Martin); one vaguely based on Jax from the CW shows. Basically combining the best elements of Ronnie and Jason into one character while creating someone unique. Hopefully that would be enough to bring the divided fanbase together, and neither Jason nor Ronnie would get abused or killed off. They'd both be alive, out of the hero game and happily living their lives, both likely looking at marrying their longterm love interests. I'd use them as occasional supporting cast members, just for the respect, yknow? But I dont think nostalgia would serve Firestorm very well, nor would bringing the Ronnie v Jason fan wars back to the fore. Jax, as a "unbiased third party" might be what everyone needs to move forward. (yeah, I have my doubts about that too).

Lorraine would be a hotshot young senator, torn between her friendship with Stein and her desire to see the Matrix in the government's hands as well as her fear of a child possessing that much raw power with so little oversight. Some shades of Marvel's SHRA there, but without the character assassinations.

Half the time, Martin uses Firestorm to explore the Matrix and perform science experiments. Jax finds it boring as hell. The other half of the time, Jax uses Firestorm to fight crime and be a superhero, which Martin finds terrifying and a waste of their potential.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Holy crap. By merely reading this post I now understand the entire appeal of the character.

I would do this with the creative team of Warren Ellis & Babs Tar.
    I’d probably also be good with Sam Humphries, Peter Tomasi, or Steve Orlando
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

I like the idea of Stein being a part of STAR Labs.

And maybe connect the Firestorm matrix with the Totality somehow?

Regardless of the direction I would limit his powers to just flight, energy blasts, and transmutation. I HATE when he’s able to create actual objects out of thin air. Changing oxygen into an tomahawk missle is so damn stupid. When GL creates a plane construct it’s not an actual plane. It’s just energy in the shape of a plane. But Ronnie apparently knows all the pieces that make up a real missile.

I don't remember where I had pitched this before but the idea of a full on Firestorm Matrix that can combine multiple people together would be awesome. You have Ronnie, Stein, Jason, Lorraine as the different aspects of Firestorm. Basically like the Zords from Power Rangers and they can all combine later for a Super Firestorm. Each combination gets a different result with different abilities. You have classic firestorm with Ronnie and Stein with matter manipulation and all that, a more fire based human torch with Ronnie and Jason, and a very energy unstable Ronnie and Lorraine. I would want a Jason and Lorraine combo that is probably the strongest power level wise but have the least amount of understanding of how to access and use the power.

The whole lame CW "we are the Flash" thing could be used to better effect here and make much more sense for Firestorm. He is actually composed of different people and exploring what Firestorm means to a group of people is an idea I want to see more of. How all these powers effect them in their day to day, maybe they don't have the right matchup of people for certain situations, etc.

To me Ronnie is what makes Firestorm interesting to me. He's basically a jock/bully who is coasting through life without a care in the world or any responsibility for the things he does or doesn't do. (basically a Flash Thompson type) Ronnie learning more about those he would demean or pick on while growing to be a better person is a very beautiful story. He's the moldable humanity for the book. Jason and Stein would probably be a very good Firestorm right from the start, that's why throwing Ronnie into the middle of that would make it harder for them and more satisfying for the audience.

I also remember pitching this as kinda like a science Dr.Fate/Dr.Strange where he defends the world from massive trippy sciencey threats. Kinda like what Morrison is doing with Hal. But now that's taken, RIP.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I also remember pitching this as kinda like a science Dr.Fate/Dr.Strange where he defends the world from massive trippy sciencey threats. Kinda like what Morrison is doing with Hal. But now that's taken, RIP.
    I don't think so. Simone tried the same approach with The Atom in terms of defending "the world from massive trippy sciencey threats" but that looked a lot different from what Morrison is doing with GL, because The Atom and GL are different. Firestorm is different enough where he could still address that in a way that's still in keeping with his mythos.

I've always thought that Firestorm was always limited by writers' ability to adequately write for his insanely powerful and chemistry-based powerset. So the fallback strategy was to always write in some deficiency with the character - whether it be Ronnie's inexperience, or some issue with the F-matrix, etc.

That said, I say just make him near-omnipotent, like the Molecule Man or Dr Manhattan, but still totally in touch with his humanity, so that he struggles with each potentially world-changing decision he makes. Superman seems comfortable with his morality and how much or less he intercedes in human affairs, but what about someone who's still figuring it out? Someone who tries to change the world, but comes to realize (the hard way) there's almost always a downside to that level of interference? He'll still save the day and come out on top enough so that he will keep going.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 02-21-2019 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I don't think so. Simone tried the same approach with The Atom in terms of defending "the world from massive trippy sciencey threats" but that looked a lot different from what Morrison is doing with GL, because The Atom and GL are different. Firestorm is different enough where he could still address that in a way that's still in keeping with his mythos.

I've always thought that Firestorm was always limited by writers' ability to adequately write for his insanely powerful and chemistry-based powerset. So the fallback strategy was to always write in some deficiency with the character - whether it be Ronnie's inexperience, or some issue with the F-matrix, etc.

That said, I say just make him near-omnipotent, like the Molecule Man or Dr Manhattan, but still totally in touch with his humanity, so that he struggles with each potentially world-changing decision he makes. Superman seems comfortable with his morality and how much or less he intercedes in human affairs, but what about someone who's still figuring it out? Someone who tries to change the world, but comes to realize (the hard way) there's almost always a downside to that level of interference? He'll still save the day and come out on top enough so that he will keep going.
    I also pitched the idea of having a long series (100 issues or so really focused on character) where Ronnie grows from that inexperienced college kid to a hero at/past Superman level power/confidence. The omni-present idea I really like. It not only puts Firestorm in his own league it also stops relying on Ronnie being dumb. That's something that to be settled once and for all.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I actually really liked the approach they started with in the NU52 with the Firestorm Matrix being like nuclear weapons slowly spreading out to other countries. I liked it being Ronnie and Jason too. I would go back to that but they would still fuse together instead of both being Firestorm at once. The big difference would be is the one in control would be random each time they fused. Sometimes it would be Ronnie in the drivers seat with Jason as the passenger. Other times it would be flipped and Jason would be the one taking over. Their fighting style would also change depending on who was in control. Ronnie would be more the energy blasting punch them in the face type while Jason would have a better handle on the more scientific aspects of their power like transmuation and such. Stein would still be around but more in an advisor and mentor role, but not part of Firestorm.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I don't remember where I had pitched this before but the idea of a full on Firestorm Matrix that can combine multiple people together would be awesome. You have Ronnie, Stein, Jason, Lorraine as the different aspects of Firestorm. Basically like the Zords from Power Rangers and they can all combine later for a Super Firestorm. Each combination gets a different result with different abilities. You have classic firestorm with Ronnie and Stein with matter manipulation and all that, a more fire based human torch with Ronnie and Jason, and a very energy unstable Ronnie and Lorraine. I would want a Jason and Lorraine combo that is probably the strongest power level wise but have the least amount of understanding of how to access and use the power.

The whole lame CW "we are the Flash" thing could be used to better effect here and make much more sense for Firestorm. He is actually composed of different people and exploring what Firestorm means to a group of people is an idea I want to see more of. How all these powers effect them in their day to day, maybe they don't have the right matchup of people for certain situations, etc.

To me Ronnie is what makes Firestorm interesting to me. He's basically a jock/bully who is coasting through life without a care in the world or any responsibility for the things he does or doesn't do. (basically a Flash Thompson type) Ronnie learning more about those he would demean or pick on while growing to be a better person is a very beautiful story. He's the moldable humanity for the book. Jason and Stein would probably be a very good Firestorm right from the start, that's why throwing Ronnie into the middle of that would make it harder for them and more satisfying for the audience.

That's an interesting idea, to use the Matrix as a playground for "fusion" with different results and character dynamics.

I think alongside that has to be a more scientific focus on his matter-changing powers. Not sure how but it sets him apart and thus needs to be emphasized

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Well, explaining everything I'd do would result in a pretty long post so I'll just keep it short. I put a ton of thought into this a year or two ago when I made the same thread.

We're going to "Miles Morales" the hell out of Firestorm. Forget the Nuclear Man, we're going to dig deeper and explore some cutting edge science with the Quantum Man. The Firestorm Matrix would play a big role; its a unifying, fundamental force in the universe responsible for molecular bonding; that's a huge thing to explore and be responsible for. Calabi-Yao manifolds, gravimetric waves, FTL theory......there's so much cool stuff happening in science these days, and Firestorm would ride that wave. What the Speed Force is for Flash, the Firestorm Matrix should be for Firestorm and its a realm worth exploring. Especially the cities inside it. Oh yeah, those would be weird as hell.

I'd play up the importance of Martin Stein in the science community, making him the head Director of STAR Labs and the go-to nuclear physicist on earth. I'd take Ronnie and Jason both out of it and introduce a 14 year old character to be the other half of 'Storm (playing up the generation gap with Martin); one vaguely based on Jax from the CW shows. Basically combining the best elements of Ronnie and Jason into one character while creating someone unique. Hopefully that would be enough to bring the divided fanbase together, and neither Jason nor Ronnie would get abused or killed off. They'd both be alive, out of the hero game and happily living their lives, both likely looking at marrying their longterm love interests. I'd use them as occasional supporting cast members, just for the respect, yknow? But I dont think nostalgia would serve Firestorm very well, nor would bringing the Ronnie v Jason fan wars back to the fore. Jax, as a "unbiased third party" might be what everyone needs to move forward. (yeah, I have my doubts about that too).

Lorraine would be a hotshot young senator, torn between her friendship with Stein and her desire to see the Matrix in the government's hands as well as her fear of a child possessing that much raw power with so little oversight. Some shades of Marvel's SHRA there, but without the character assassinations.

Half the time, Martin uses Firestorm to explore the Matrix and perform science experiments. Jax finds it boring as hell. The other half of the time, Jax uses Firestorm to fight crime and be a superhero, which Martin finds terrifying and a waste of their potential.
    Huh, I'm reminded of when we were talking about a NON-Teen titans, team.
    Firestorm/Beetle/Stargirl "Trinity" awhile ago.

I'm having a problem with Firestorm recently, and its... really doomsday clock and really ethan van scrivers last run in general, where the matrix is just a weapon, and put us into a cold war.
    Something other countries can recreate and have their own nuclear men.

Looking at comics having a single similar villain being essentially Sabertooth, or Venom, or Abomination is okay however:
    1: Having a BUNCH of people showing up with the same powers dilutes the character to me, and based on some of the reaction to things like the 7 or more green laterns on earth (even though admittedly different)
    I think lots of people feel similarly.
    2: Sometimes the duality of Superman/Lex Lutor and Batman/Joker... is what serves a character best.

It strikes me that the best showing for firestorm for years was in "Injustice" I haven't like him that much since the superfriends as a kid and thats where I fell in love with the character.

One of the great failings of the Firestorm books and why it never catches on is the desperation of almost every writer who approaches him to treat him like he's Peter Parker.
    There is a small part of me looking back that can't shake the feeling that every writer that touches this character secretly wants to be writing Spider man be it mile morales or the aforementioned parker.

I watched marvels Richard Ryder fall into this trap for years, and years. . . you know what got him out of it? That had people clamoring for more?
    "Annihilation" when the idea got across that he was not "Kid" Nova from the new warriors and he wasn't always going to be a college softmore sleeping on someones couch. He was an insanely powerful hero
    attatched to a larger than life duty.
    The "Everyman" story where he's going to school and having dating problems are just... Do something else. MAYBE, Let us establish it that when superman falls/Dies/Retires? Its FIRESTORM who fights imperiex or whatever comes next.
    Its FIRESTORM sitting at that table tommrorow, not superson or billy batson, and that his concerns are WAY bigger because of what the JLA leaves unfinished. He needs a huge arc, that isn't deconstruction of the genre. He needs kids to look at him
    they look at those over the top manga heroes but the boat keeps getting missed somehow, in the rush to milk the teen titans. Sorry if that doesnt' answer the op, but I wanted to talk to you because firestorm has problems that go beyond a simple
    "pitch". Not the least of which... whats happening in doomsday clock right now.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

I love this idea actually, make it a team effort =.