Page 40 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Spec!MJ never lived up to her true potential.
    I think what the show did worked for what it was. I loved that episode where she stayed at the school and waited for Peter for that dance. That scene basically signalled that she was endgame. The show also seemed to hint she knew Peter was Spider-Man a la Parallel Lives. And of course the Season 2 ended Peter/Gwen on a downer and even if it didn't kill her, you got the same emotion that these two are never meant to be.

Weisman intended to age the characters and do it organically which was quite ambitious of him.

But I think Spectacular being 2 solid seasons and so on is great. We got what we wanted, and some great episodes and character turns. My favorite Venom ever as well as a convincing Sandman, and along with Dafoe, the greatest Green Goblin we've seen yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I just really find it kind of hilarious that it feels like people are just trying to pretend the "Michelle Jones" name isn't a thing by just calling her MJ .
    That's the character's nickname in the movies; whether you want to think that she's an adaptation of the original character or "just" a new one inspired by the original, it's still correct.

Given that they probably weren't going to kill Gwen until the very end, I don't know if we would have ever seen such a thing as you imagine it.
    Apparently it's been told both ways whether Gwen would live or die -- although the plan was to have the show run until Peter and company graduated from high school and then continue the story in direct-to-video movies which could push the envelope in terms of content, so whether Gwen would've survived the TV show to die in the videos or whether she would've just lived period is unclear. However, the Powers That Be have gone on record that Peter and MJ were going to end up together at the end when all was said and done, whether that was through Gwen passing like in the source material or her and Peter just drifting apart, like how relatively few high school relationships last long term.

But because the show ended when it did that means all of this is just speculation. And it is for that reason I can't agree with Spec!MJ being best MJ. It relies far too much on speculation. You can say she had the most potential.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough, although I will say that the show did the best job of taking the original characterization but making her a 3-D character from the get-go.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Given that they probably weren't going to kill Gwen until the very end, I don't know if we would have ever seen such a thing as you imagine it.
    I think there were teases that Mary Jane would've fallen for Peter in later seasons, but, yeah, there is no guaranteed way of knowing what would've happened and Weisman will probably never reveal anything outright.
    But because the show ended when it did that means all of this is just speculation. And it is for that reason I can't agree with Spec!MJ being best MJ. It relies far too much on speculation. You can say she had the most potential.
    I never claimed she was best MJ, just that I preferred her characterization and depiction compared to other adaptions. If anything I think she was definitely one of the better adaptions of MJ with her 616 characterization which people seem to want to eschew for Ultimate MJ and her being a reporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I think what the show did worked for what it was. I loved that episode where she stayed at the school and waited for Peter for that dance. That scene basically signalled that she was endgame. The show also seemed to hint she knew Peter was Spider-Man a la Parallel Lives. And of course the Season 2 ended Peter/Gwen on a downer and even if it didn't kill her, you got the same emotion that these two are never meant to be.
    Don't forget about the heart-shaped spider logo .
    Weisman intended to age the characters and do it organically which was quite ambitious of him.
    But probably more feasible then his ambition of adapting the entire DC Universe in one cartoon .
    But I think Spectacular being 2 solid seasons and so on is great. We got what we wanted, and some great episodes and character turns. My favorite Venom ever as well as a convincing Sandman, and along with Dafoe, the greatest Green Goblin we've seen yet.
    But you can't help but wish you had gotten more, especially when the Spider-Man cartoons that came after, for all their good points, just can't live up to the standard Spec set for Spider-Man cartoons.
    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    That's the character's nickname in the movies; whether you want to think that she's an adaptation of the original character or "just" a new one inspired by the original, it's still correct.
    The fact that people just call her "MJ" now seems to be leaning one way instead of the other, if only to accentuate the character's relevance.

All-New Member
    Last edited by emmafrosting; 07-08-2019 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by emmafrosting View Post
    D-hNZN_U4AIlj62.jpg

WIP art of MJ by Terry Dodson, he hasn't revealed for what series yet though

https://twitter.com/TerryDodsonArt/s...828904449?s=20
    Isn't Dodson mostly doing variants for Black Cat?

MJ's hat looks like it kind of has cat ears from that angle. And...also kind of looks like something a burglar would wear?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Isn't Dodson mostly doing variants for Black Cat?

MJ's hat looks like it kind of has cat ears from that angle. And...also kind of looks like something a burglar would wear?
    It looks like a black variation on the pink hat the filter probably won't let me write.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Honestly after the FFH, is clear that she is MJ, a boring one, but their version at the end of the day...
    Yeah. The inclusion of Brad Davis as Peter's rival for MJ's affections cemented it. Brad was a one-off character in the comics who once dated MJ in ASM #188, while... wait for it, Peter was dating Betty again after her split with Ned: https://www.bustle.com/p/brad-daviss-marvel-comics-backstory-makes-him-a-serious-rival-to-spider-man-18156505

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Yeah. The inclusion of Brad Davis as Peter's rival for MJ's affections cemented it. Brad was a one-off character in the comics who once dated MJ in ASM #188, while... wait for it, Peter was dating Betty again after her split with Ned: https://www.bustle.com/p/brad-daviss-marvel-comics-backstory-makes-him-a-serious-rival-to-spider-man-18156505
    Probably why Marv Wolfman's name was in the "special thanks" section of the credits for Far From Home, because he did write that arc with the Peter/Betty/Ned triangle reigniting.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Probably why Marv Wolfman's name was in the "special thanks" section of the credits for Far From Home, because he did write that arc with the Peter/Betty/Ned triangle reigniting.
    Oh god, is this base in that story when Wolfman implied that Peter might have sleep with Betty while she was with Ned... no wonder why the romance sucked if that was their inspiration
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Astonishing Member

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D--xiTOX...jpg&name=small

mark brooks twitter pretty obvious who the woman in the spiderman bikini is.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    If it's who I think it is, I remember people speculating that was Harry .
    Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D--xiTOX...jpg&name=small

mark brooks twitter pretty obvious who the woman in the spiderman bikini is.
    So...Carol, Rogue, She-Hulk, MJ, and Black Widow?

I love how MJ is both placed with a bunch of other major Marvel ladies and is also the only one in a bikini .

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    This is why, to me, Spider-Man would work better as an ongoing TV series. It would give more time to invest in the characters and their dynamics as opposed to just what's necessary for plot reasons or whatever. Maybe we'll get something on Disney+ someday . . .
    I would LOVE Spider-Man to get his own ongoing series, and not just as a cartoon LOL. But I doubt we'll get one anytime soon.

Oh hell no, she did not just say that to MJ!

Quote Originally Posted by emmafrosting View Post
    I love when the Dodson's draw my favorite characters!