Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    In fiction, there isn’t.
    Um....

Yeah, no.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Sure there is.
    Describe a character you feel is in that middle ground.

Fantastic Member

Every character ever?
    This is such an insane take.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan View Post
    Every character ever?
    This is such an insane take.
    Exactly. Peter is already in that middleground, but that doesn’t mean that people will actually like it.

Astonishing Member

I've seen this movie get a lot of praise for pushing to rehabilitate the villains, something most superhero movies don't do. Dafoe's vulnerable moments were just as appreciated as his scary ones.
    Fair point. Still, it should be noted that Raimi's takes on Goblin and Ock are intentionally meant to be sympathetic and were "sick", so it works with them in a way it won't work in 616. 616 Norman and Otto are just plain ol' evil like in Spectacular Spider-Man.

Peter and MJ not trusting him isn't surprising given their long and painful history with him. But nothing about the way Wells writes Norman contradicts how he was written by Spencer after being cleansed. Maybe Spencer believed that this would be undone sooner or later, but nothing in his writing suggested Norman was anything less than reformed now.
    I don't doubt that Spencer saw Norman as reformed. It's just that I doubt things were planned to stay that way, especially with Peter and MJ still not trusting him.

That said, Harry modifying the serum doesn't really say much about how much smarter he is than Peter because the movies didn't focus that much on Peter's scientific expertise. Maybe Harry actually started taking his studies seriously because of Norman's approval of Peter over him. Maybe Harry flunked due to laziness rather than lack of skill. It's hard to tell. There's a lot of wiggle room in "not as smart as Peter".
    I doubt he wiggled the serum. Honestly, SM3 isn't smart enough of a film to think of something like that. My guess is that the split personality we saw in Norman was a by-product of Norman's psychology, or was triggered only in Norman if we go by NWH.

I don't really care for the alien origin for Venom. I prefer the science experiment origin and the parent connection in the Ultimate Universe.

That would've been a better direction for the Venom films to me.

Although I would've skipped Eddie for Flash Thompson. I never became a fan of Venom till Flash's era. He had the stronger setup for a spinoff than Eddie did. However the new run by Ewing and Ram V I'd promising so I'm hoping the movies pull from it.

Spider-Gwen's novelty wears off faster than Miles or Silk. She would've been better as Gwen's younger sister or cousin.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-20-2023 at 03:09 PM.

Astonishing Member

I think the issue with a lot of origins is that they should often have greater implications but they just don’t. It’s why a lot of adaptations combine many of the origins together.

There are so many ways that the symbiotes can be used but it’s always just so haphazardly done. I guess that’s what happens when you try to give a B-tier character a mythos.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

I think the issue with a lot of origins is that they should often have greater implications but they just don’t. It’s why a lot of adaptations combine many of the origins together.

There are so many ways that the symbiotes can be used but it’s always just so haphazardly done. I guess that’s what happens when you try to give a B-tier character a mythos.
    I understand Venom's criticisms, but I think it's not accurate to say he's a B-tier character. He's definitely one of Marve's most popular characters.

Extraordinary Member

As someone who's never really cared for any symbiote other than the Venom one, I think it would've been better had they just left if nebulous like they probably should've left Wolverine's.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Origins work as a starting point and i get why you move on from them. But most characters like Venom don't always find their way afterwards. Ewing and V finally got it right and I'm hoping they could do so for other characters.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-23-2023 at 01:18 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    I understand Venom's criticisms, but I think it's not accurate to say he's a B-tier character. He's definitely one of Marve's most popular characters.
    He’s popular character with respect to Spider-Man. On his own, that’s somewhat debatable.

What implications do you mean exactly?

Astonishing Member

What implications do you mean exactly?
    The symbiotes are more used as monsters of the week rather than important villains. It’s telling that we didn’t even know their species name until recently.

There are were weirdly no greater questions around them: where they came from, why they bond with people, how intelligent were they….

They really only existed to give random people superpowers.