View Poll Results: When will Superman's trunks return?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • At the conclusion of the summer event, "Metal"

0 0%
  • Action Comics #1000

22 32.84%
  • The 100th anniversary

3 4.48%
  • Never

42 62.69%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I voted for Action 1,000, but that's because I'd like it to happen rather than because I think it will. I could see them coming back one day, when some future Geoff Johns decides he wants things back the way they were when he was a kid, 'cause that's how it's supposed to be.

I swear if you could turn Nostalgia into a form of Clean Energy the Human race would enter a Golden age.

Retired

When Clark and Lois go to the beach.

Incredible Member

Well.... "Never" seems too absolute.... The Trunks will always be with us.... DC/Warner can't purge every image of the Trunks from reprints, old cartoons (Just keep watching Justice League Unlimited) and most trademarked imagery. It's just that for all intents and purposes he "never had trunks" moving forward. That is until the next reboot, or general feeling Superman has "strayed from his roots" or a blast of retro hipsterism takes root. Probably the more "forbidden" the Trunks become, the more likely someone will have the urge to bring them back. Let's just wait for the post-Didio , post-Snyder era to find out.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

If the whole reason they got rid of them was the lawsuit, I don't see them coming back. This strikes me as being less of an aesthetic decision and more of a business decision.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty3w View Post
    It was originally removed for cross media synergy with Man of Steel movie, for it to return it would at least require DCEU to end, so is Cyborg being a core Justice League member in comics and cartoons.
    I'm not quite sure I understand the connection. The Snyderverse movies have (unfortunately) a massive reach that the comics don't and likely will never have. DC could put Superman in the classic uniform tomorrow and it won't impact the Snyderverse costume one bit. As for Cyborg, I don't see how the trunks are connected to his inclusion, though I do think he belongs with the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    DC is obsessed with the past in rebirth... In AC 1000...
    I prefer to think of it as restoring iconic imagery, not mere nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    I swear if you could turn Nostalgia into a form of Clean Energy the Human race would enter a Golden age.
    Like I said above, it's presumptuous of you to assume that anyone who wants the trunks back does so simply because of nostalgia. Hack Snyder made a similar comment when people criticized his tone-deaf take on Superman, blaming people for not getting past their "nostalgic" love for the Reeve movies. In both cases, I want the character to be portrayed faithfullly; I was ready to forgive the lack of trunks and other elements I knew of before seeing MoS. What I couldn't accept was the deconstruction of Superman into a pale caricature. As for the trunks, I don't appreciate them because "they've always been there," but because they are part of an iconic and singular design that was the prototype for an entire genre. They're also damn cool-looking when done right, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    If the whole reason they got rid of them was the lawsuit, I don't see them coming back. This strikes me as being less of an aesthetic decision and more of a business decision.
    Methinks this is why they haven't come back yet, as I have a feeling there's still more legal shenanigans going on that we don't know about.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Man View Post
    I'm not quite sure I understand the connection. The Snyderverse movies have (unfortunately) a massive reach that the comics don't and likely will never have. DC could put Superman in the classic uniform tomorrow and it won't impact the Snyderverse costume one bit. As for Cyborg, I don't see how the trunks are connected to his inclusion, though I do think he belongs with the Titans.
    I think, from WB's perspective, it's that the more the Superman from the comics resembles DCEU Superman aesthetically, the better the chances of someone going to see the DCEU movies and then picking up ongoing Superman comics.

Probably the same reason why Wonder Woman's costume looks more like the DCEU costume now.

Like I said above, it's presumptuous of you to assume that anyone who wants the trunks back does so simply because of nostalgia. Hack Snyder made a similar comment when people criticized his tone-deaf take on Superman, blaming people for not getting past their "nostalgic" love for the Reeve movies. In both cases, I want the character to be portrayed faithfullly; I was ready to forgive the lack of trunks and other elements I knew of before seeing MoS. What I couldn't accept was the deconstruction of Superman into a pale caricature. As for the trunks, I don't appreciate them because "they've always been there," but because they are part of an iconic and singular design that was the prototype for an entire genre. They're also damn cool-looking when done right, IMO.

Methinks this is why they haven't come back yet, as I have a feeling there's still more legal shenanigans going on that we don't know about.
    And here I say the Donner Version is Nothing but a Pale Caricature. At least Cavill's Supes actually got out into the World at Large instead of spending Twelve Years being taught by Jor-El. Hell Donner Jor-El didn't even Want Kal to interact with Humanity as one of them while that was Why MoS Jor-El sent him to earth in the first place. When Pa was having his Heart Attack Why couldn't Clark have picked him up and ran to the nearest Emergency room? That was at least plausible cause we'd just seen him out run a train. MoS Clark at no point up to then had been shown to have Super speed yet People expected him to be able to save Pa from the Tornado. People call MoS Lois and Clark rushed but Supes violate the Laws of Nature for a Women he knew for less then a week, Then gives up his powers just so they could be together dooming millions in the process. MoS actually gave method to the Madness while Donner's just took it as a matter of course. MoS was a First Contact Movie where the Alien just happens to be named Kal-El. It always bugged me that no one in the Donner Movie gave the Fact that Superman is an ALIEN any weight? Luthor pulls the Kryptonite weakness out of his Ass. Hell he has to Call Superman for them to even meet.
    Last edited by Lokimaru; 04-06-2017 at 09:08 AM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I'm gonna vote never. It would make no sense at this point. Everyone is happy with the current design, and if we are at the point of Jurgens, literally the only person who would argue for them back, still not getting his way as well as after 2 different redesigns with a easy way to get the trunks back..I just don't see it happening.

I think maybe we'll get a Easter egg or backup with the red trunks in AC 1000 just to get some peoples nostalgia, but it really makes no sense for Superman to suddenly start wearing the trunks. Especially if he isn't going to be remembering his post crisis life after reborn.

If they were removed because of the lawsuits, we wouldn't be seeing them in any comics, yet they appeared in smallville season 11 comics as well as serveral issues of that digital adventures of superman series.

Retired

What lawsuit? I'm pretty sure that DC owns the trademark on Superman images. I don't know which lawsuit you're referring to, but all the legal battles have been over copyright, which is different from trademark. Even if Siegel and Shuster had won copyright, they would still have had a problem with National/DC owing the trademark. Likely some kind of Katzenjammer Kids/Captain and the Kids problem would have arisen.

DC hasn't withdrawn all that merchandise that still uses images from the trunks era, so they must still have a trademark interest in retaining that identifying symbol.

Besides which, it's not just Superman who has lost his trunks. It's most characters at DC and Marvel. So the underlying reason for this cosmetic change probably goes deeper than just issues with Superman's creative image.

I've never been against the trunks(as you say.. Is iconic).. I like Reeve and the Kingdom Come Superman, two SuperGODS with Trunks.

Maybe one best comment is this:

I would consider strange that the trunks(something more iconic than another things) didnīt return(Post-Rebirth Universe) with DC putting a lot of things of the past in rebirth.
    Last edited by adrikito; 04-06-2017 at 09:58 AM.

Kryptonian Fascist The Eradicator's Avatar

Will the trunks one day return? Oh yes they damn well will. My personal hope is that they return in Action Comics # 1000, but I think its more likely when and if Didio gets the boot and the shitty DCEU completely collapses (which is what I expect will happen after the release of JL).

I don't want to hear anymore of this idiotic nonsense that the trunks are no longer hip or that they're not "progressive" enough for a new millenium. What a bunch of bullshit. It's amazing to see just how much this politically correct hipster millennial virus has infected all facets of our society.

Superman's look is iconic. He's more or less has had the exact same look for the overwhelming majority of his existence. You don't fix what ain't broken. His costume is not something you change. Simple as that. The fact that he's had three costume changes in the last 5 years speaks volumes - DON'T MESS WITH THE ORIGINAL! It's not a coincidence that the costume that happens to be the closest to the classic look is the one that people are most happy with right now.

But still, when we look at his current costume, I bet that all of us know deep down inside that something is still missing. If you wanna get metaphysical, it's like the classic costume is slowly but surely trying to make its way back into existence from Plato's realm of the Forms.

And if some wankers over at DC or WB don't like it, and they still don't think Superman is hip enough - well, as far as I'm concerned, they're all just a bunch of parasites, and they can all collectively kiss my cold Kryptonian ass.
    Last edited by The Eradicator; 04-06-2017 at 10:27 AM.

Never say never ... except here, I'm saying never.

Since 2011, every time they have had a new non-direct adaptation project featuring Superman in other media, the trunks have left out. DCEU movies, CW tv shows, Cartoon Network JLAction, all of them have at least one thing in common: no trunks.

The trunks are gone, but future takes on the belt may somewhat compensate for their absence going forward.

Incredible Member

Right now, I'm inclined to say never. But if they ever come back, it will be after DiDio is already gone from DC.

Fantastic Member

I don't think the trunks will be coming back anytime soon, but I'm a never say never type of person so I chose the 100th anniversary option.

Though I think it may take even longer than that.