View Poll Results: As a BP fan, your take on the romance with Storm is:

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Destiny! I always wanted her for him exactly like this for T'Challa!

9 10.84%
  • Love her for him in general, maybe not exactly like this

15 18.07%
  • Like her for him, kinda like WonderBat or SuperWonder

4 4.82%
  • Don't really care who T'Challa is canoodling with

16 19.28%
  • Dislike her for him, too much like WonderBat or SuperWonder

13 15.66%
  • Hate her for him, T'Challa belongs with someone else (specify)

22 26.51%
  • Blasphemy! I never wanted her for him, under any conditions

4 4.82%
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    what evidence is there BP sales increased due to cw?
    A 70% drop after the first issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    I have to disagree. Your reasoning works for already established characters. SM, BM, and Supes aren't going to see an increase. But when BP started getting talked about, it became a cultural thing. At my LCS BP #1 was their best seller of the year. Mostly from new readers. I doubt they heard about the character on comic sites.
    Thats why I mentioned Guardians, Ant-Man and Dr. Strange as examples on the post. But we'll see what happens with Captain Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Thats why I mentioned Guardians, Ant-Man and Dr. Strange as examples on the post. But we'll see what happens with Captain Marvel.
    These titles had a cultural impact that resonated with a minority population?

These titles had a cultural impact that resonated with a minority population?
    You said my reasoning works for already established characters. Guardians, Ant-Man and Strange aren't established characters. Again, that's why I mentioned them as examples.

If the boost comes from a cultural impact, I can buy that... but that's not the same thing as saying it's because of Civil War.

You said my reasoning works for already established characters. Guardians, Ant-Man and Strange aren't established characters. Again, that's why I mentioned them as examples.

If the boost comes from a cultural impact, I can buy that... but that's not the same thing as saying it's because of Civil War.
    How do you think they knew to look for the comic. If people see the ads for the movie and type in black panther around that time, they'll see the links that say a comic is coming out. And my original post has a comment in cultural impact.

How do you think they knew to look for the comic. If people see the ads for the movie and type in black panther around that time, they'll see the links that say a comic is coming out. And my original post has a comment in cultural impact.
    They knew to look for the comic because it was heavily promoted. He had a movie coming out with an award winning writer and a book with an award winning writer. It was the perfect storm.

They knew to look for the comic because it was heavily promoted. He had a movie coming out with an award winning writer and a book with an award winning writer. It was the perfect storm.
    I dont remember any TV commercials or interviews for the comic. I remember a few articles and ads in Marvel comics.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    regardless of who was writing coates was the mastermind driving all the development that was happening in the satellite books involving black panther.

oh goodness stop the propaganda. coates was writing black since 2016 2 whole years before black panther the movie came out. let's not rewrite history so soon.

and again regardless of your preference of coates he has been getting a majority of praise from critics on his works with black panther.

coates again started writing panther 2 whole years before black panther the movie came out.

also hudlin's book sold copies typically due to events that tied in to his book. on his own he didnt fair well:

http://www.comicsbeat.com/marvel-mon...february-2009/

The much-hyped relaunch of BLACK PANTHER, trailed with plenty of house ads, see the expected jump in sales. But BLACK PANTHER has done better than this in the past – this number is roughly on a par with its CIVIL WAR tie-ins from a couple of years ago. This opening arc is a Dark Reign tie-in, incidentally.

The pattern with this book, under Reginald Hudlin’s authorship, seems to be that it does quite well so long as it’s tying in to major crossovers, but struggles a bit when left to its own devices. I’m not convinced it’ll be any different this time, but you never know.

so again let's not rewrite history.

Okay let me break it down, Coates got BP when:

T'Challa was just front and center in the biggest event at Marvel that had been going for 5 year's. BP hadn't had a Solo in year's, Coates name did help too, Marvel out out a ton of variants, BP debuted in a billion dollar movie 2016 was also BP's 50th anniversary, Marvel also kept throwing out incentives, then hos Solo movie dropped and grossed a Billy, and marvel kept throwing out incentives to keep sales up and then did TWO renumberings to his series within about 6 monthswof each other.

Under his name, Coates has several failed books BP wow and BP and Crew (which was cancelled after Issue 1, and wow completely contradicted S1, such a "mastermind") all of this is at the start and height of BP's popularity, in which BP is a household name, has a ton of merch, and a cartoon.

Now compare that to Hudlin who had none of that at all.. yet he still had the most successful run of any BP writer... Yet Hudlin's the failure?? Come on now...

I dont remember any TV commercials or interviews for the comic. I remember a few articles and ads in Marvel comics.
    No tv comnercials (that would be excessive), but a lot of stuff online. Which seemed to cater particularly well for the Coates fan base. If you follow Coogler or Coates, you got the heads up.

BANNED

Post Hudlun/Liss/Hickman, I give a hard pass on any other dipictions of Shuri.

Coates has totally destroyed her character with this Griot nonsense and Nnedi Okoroafor has muddied the waters even further with her iteration of Shuri.

It's like Coates and every writer that's followed in his wake are obsessed with reinventing the proverbial wheel to no appreciable positive effect.

the fact that new writers don't read older runs and the iconic runs is kind of a problem too
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Post Hudlun/Liss/Hickman, I give a hard pass on any other dipictions of Shuri.

Coates has totally destroyed her character with this Griot nonsense and Nnedi Okoroafor has muddied the waters even further with her iteration of Shuri.

It's like Coates and every writer that's followed in his wake are obsessed with reinventing the proverbial wheel to no appreciable positive effect.
    This x 100
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Hudlin has OTHER JOBS. He was helping run a network called BET. He was producing some Oscar nominated film call Django Unchained. He was overseeing Boondocks & My Wife & Kids. I think that would make him move on from Panther.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadey View Post
    Right and if I remember right from back then that was EXACTLY why he left because he had too much on his plate at the time and that it was getting too tiring to do all that plus keep up a monthly deadline schedule writing a comic. His run was never canceled he left on his own.
    In addition to all of this, Axel Alonso, Hudlin’s editor at the time, was getting promoted to Editor-In-Chief. Alonso played lots of interference for Hudlin. Even played a role in facilitating Hudlin’s pairing of T’Challa and Storm.

Hudlin in his own words:

http://hudlinentertainment.com/smf/i...7208#msg127208

My leaving Black Panther was a combination of several separate events happening at the same time.

At Marvel, my editor Axel Alonso was leaving hands-on editing as he began his ascent to what would eventually be him becoming editor in chief.

I knew how much interference he was running for me. My stories were very controversial and there was no guarantee that whoever would be the next editor would be as understanding or effective.

At the same time, I was done with BET, and needed to focus on what I was going to do next. I had to write and produce the Black Panther animated series, which was a huge job in itself. But what was I really going to do next? Tyler Perry was creating new business models in film and television. Mark Millar was having unprecedented success in creator owned comics. Compared to all that, what I was doing didn't make any sense to me.

At the same time, I was burnt out. So I finished up my obligations, and chilled. Travelled. Reintroduced myself to my family. Took a long look at the business and thought about what I really want out of life.

I was initially excited when they came together under the pen of Hudlin and was further encouraged by David Liss and Dwayne McDuffie who I felt understood the power dynamics between them.

But meddling from other Marvel franchises soured the pairing for me and I would rather he found love with a female Wakandan so such pettiness would not happen in the future.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
    I was initially excited when they came together under the pen of Hudlin and was further encouraged by David Liss and Dwayne McDuffie who I felt understood the power dynamics between them.

But meddling from other Marvel franchises soured the pairing for me and I would rather he found love with a female Wakandan so such pettiness would not happen in the future.
    Agreed 100%.