Page 7 of 295 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    My one real issue with that story was that Dick’s character didn’t really get anything out of it. Nothing culminated for him or is character.
    Not every arc can be character defining, a constant influx of fun/enjoyable stories can build and keep momentum for the character.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Oh if it's a pitch, the first step to get noticed is having good published writing he likes. That's how Didio found Ben Percy.

Yeah I know, I'm just putting this out there, in case there's a writer who likes Dick watching.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Not every arc can be character defining, a constant influx of fun/enjoyable stories can build and keep momentum for the character.
    Nor should they be, IMO. Court of Owls was a pretty damn successful batman story, but I wouldn't say it was character defining. It was just a good batman story.

Untouchable felt like a well executed Dixon-esque story. It was a good Nightwing story. Judge worked well as a Nightwing specific villain. He is a reflection of Dick's own charisma, leadership ability, and knack for making friends, but he is a perversion of all of these. He is the antithesis of Dick's view of humanity. "Every heart is full of corruption" vs "We are not our worst moments."

But it wasn’t really a Nightwing story, nor was it short. It was a story in Nightwing. Dick didn’t have a character arc, he never really learned or grew from the multiple times he failed. And he failed repeatedly. He basically just kept playing the game till somone helped him, and that how he finally got one over on the Judge. The arc didn’t need to be character defining, that’s not my point, but Dick should be getting something out the story. He shouldn’t just be there to bear witness to the villain. Like I’m cool with Dick getting his ass kicked and failing, but at least then lead to something with those failures or defeats. Like with Raptor. Judge was interesting, but Dick’s story in that story. Not so much.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 01-06-2019 at 11:23 PM.

Fantastic Member

I feel the arc gets interrupted., cut short and incomplete, since we never got to know what exactly is the Judge, but the way you say it about Dick Godlike13, then Bruce never successed in anything he does either. He never learned to REALLY defeat Joker and others. and only got more depressed. That's how their job works. It will account to nothing and they got drained, but they did it and tries to save whoever they can anyway and maybe though that, themselves. That's the lesson Dick learned. To me it was good and if only it got more "complete", i would watch a film/movie of the arc because it has everything Dick Grayson is, dated back not only to Dixon but even Hudson U. student Dick in the 70s and reminded me of Black Mirror too.

Honestly I think the worst part was the crossfit gym.

So I did misunderstand your point. Figured. Dick was a pretty static character in that one, for sure. More time was spent developing Judge, but Dick is already pretty established, so I don't have a problem with that. (It did, however, bring in some Hudson U past for Dick!) I'd say Dick ended up winning more because he was the one person that the judge couldn't manipulate by playing off the corruption in Dick's heart. (Though, to be fair I really don't think Dick has deep rooted need to be "forgiven," so that was off base.)

Overall, I don't think it was lights out or anything. It wasn't as good as Grayson, or the Raptor arcs of Seeley's work. I do think it was better than most of Seeley's Bludhaven arcs though. It felt a bit like a Dixon story to me, but with a more well developed villain.

Quote Originally Posted by nhienphan2808 View Post
    I feel the arc gets interrupted., cut short and incomplete, since we never got to know what exactly is the Judge, but the way you say it about Dick Godlike13, then Bruce never successed in anything he does either. He never learned to REALLY defeat Joker and others. and only got more depressed. That's how their job works. It will account to nothing and they got drained, but they did it and tries to save whoever they can anyway and maybe though that, themselves. That's the lesson Dick learned. To me it was good and if only it got more "complete", i would watch a film/movie of the arc because it has everything Dick Grayson is, dated back not only to Dixon but even Hudson U. student Dick in the 70s and reminded me of Black Mirror too.
    Judge told us who he is. Do we believe that he is hundreds of years old? Do we believe "the sea sent him back?" I dunno. I like that origin, but I also like that it comes from an unreliable narrator (himself). I dig that little bit of mystery about him.
    Last edited by dropkickjake; 01-06-2019 at 08:10 PM.

I didn't find Judge that interesting but the arc had good moments. The cliche of "a mystery from the hero's past" just felt a bit tried. None of Judge's actions really made much sense or why he was even in Bludhaven. It felt more like Humphries had an idea for a villain and really liked the set pieces of him killing people in a flashy way and that was kind of all he was. Then again I wasn't big on Raptor as a villain either. He felt fine but I never got why people gushed over Raptor so much. Felt he got a bit worse over time. Especially the part with Dick's mom later. So maybe I'm just not big on the mystery villain from the hero's past bit, lol.

I think the best parts about the Judge arc was the art obviously. Bernard Chang's art was probably my favorite we've had in all of Rebirth. Just very dynamic and colorful and it helped with the arc being more fun than it was. Nightwing has generally had good art for a while. Problem with the art now is the rotating artists they have on the title are way too different from each other where it becomes very distracting. The other thing I liked about the arc was just the inclusion of this sharkmen people. I think Bludhaven is a garbage heap of a setting and I never understood why creators just don't dump as much crazy and ridiculous stuff in it as they can. It isn't like Bludhaven has any entrenched value where they can't change it. So just have crazy monsters, over the top villains, demons, robots, aliens and all matter of things you can possibly imagine and just make it as ridiculous as possible. Just random shark people living there felt like a small tip of what they could do with it.

The stuff with Raptor and Dick's mom has really grown on me as time went on. Hell of an implication to leave on.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 01-07-2019 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    The stuff with Raptor and Dick's mom has really grown on me after time has went on. Hell of an implication to leave on.
    Raptor is basically Snape from Harry Potter. He loved his mom but never had her.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

I forgot where I was in my Dick History... oh yeah. Entering New 52. There was some discussion back then about Dick being downgraded now he's back as Nightwing, but as a casual, I prefer to see something familiar and full view of that body.

The first one I picked up actually wasn't Nightwing but The Court of Owls and it has enough Dick in it, doing the thing I know him for, giving Bruce some advice. The red costume, the circus, and the punch didn't bother me much compared to now that the circus left and he's been punched over and over.

806b6be32c3197cccd62019839120247._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Playing with the bat ear
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 01-07-2019 at 01:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Raptor is basically Snape from Harry Potter. He loved his mom but never had her.
    No, there was implication that he might have had her which I wasn't a big fan of. That passionate kiss panel. We discussed it when it came out if it was a set up for a possible who is Dick's real father story line.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I forgot where I was in my Dick History... oh yeah. Entering New 52. There was some discussion back then about Dick being downgraded now he's back as Nightwing, but as a casual, I prefer to see something familiar and full view of that body.

The first one I picked up actually wasn't Nightwing but The Court of Owls and it has enough Dick in it, doing the thing I know him for, giving Bruce some advice. The red costume, the circus, and the punch didn't bother me much compared to now that the circus left and he's been punched over and over.

806b6be32c3197cccd62019839120247._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Playing with the bat ear
    I still love that playing with the bat ear panel and I wish writers would have done more with the electronic mask Dick is wearing. It's a cool gadget.

The hit was still more brutal than necessary but yeah, it is not the worst punch Dick has gotten by now.

Yeah I like how that image work with both Joker and Dick

Also... found it! The sky of OMAC during Infinite Crisis

infinite-3-omac-sky.jpg

Belated happy new year everyone. Even though Dick is still getting a raw deal in the comics for the foreseeable future, there is light on the horizon (for me), Titans is on EU Netflix in four days!

I've also pre ordered this

dc-comics-nightwing-and-batgirl-statue-dc-collectibles-903616-02_1200x1200.jpg

I'm not a huge Dickbabs shipper or anything but this is beautiful and the pose is really dynamic. I can't wait

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Nightwing View Post
    Belated happy new year everyone. Even though Dick is still getting a raw deal in the comics for the foreseeable future, there is light on the horizon (for me), Titans is on EU Netflix in four days!

I've also pre ordered this

dc-comics-nightwing-and-batgirl-statue-dc-collectibles-903616-02_1200x1200.jpg

I'm not a huge Dickbabs shipper or anything but this is beautiful and the pose is really dynamic. I can't wait
    I'm with you on the Titans release. Can't wait to see a proper episode after waiting for so long.