Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425 LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I know, she got de-aged and turned into a lesbian in Supergirl during the New52. That whole "space Hogwarts for heroes" arc was pretty good, actually, even if I didn't like Maxima and Captain Comet being turned into teenagers. Comet especially, since he had already been introduced in the 52 as an adult. Maxima at least, we hadn't seen so the de-aging was fair game for the reboot. Still a great arc though.

I'd just play it like the younger Maxima we saw in the 52 was Maxima the Younger, daughter of Empress Maxima (the adult one we're familiar with from post-Crisis). That way you get both and you can explore the royal family of Almerac.
    That is an excellent retcon and it kind of turns classic Maxima into that parent who is living vicariously through their child, which I could totally see her becoming had she lived long enough.

Makes for an interesting parallel to Clark, too, since she'd be the controlling parent and Clark has been a bit too hands-off since Bendis took over. I know this is a PG thread, but that does sound interesting.

Have PG and Maxima ever interacted? I imagine Karen would not get along with classic Maxima.
    Last edited by Robanker; 12-24-2019 at 09:45 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    That is an excellent retcon and it kind of turns classic Maxima into that parent who is living vicariously through their child, which I could totally see her becoming had she lived long enough.

Makes for an interesting parallel to Clark, too, since she'd be the controlling parent and Clark has been a bit too hands-off since Bendis took over. I know this is a PG thread, but that does sound interesting.

Have PG and Maxima ever interacted? I imagine Karen would not get along with classic Maxima.
    Sort of, and they didn't. Back in PAD's Aquaman, back when PG was Atlantean and not really appearing in any other book, he gave her a few guest bits in Aquaman and Supergirl. One had Maxima showing up out of the blue for Aquaman's...well, you get the picture. He must have been 10th on her list after Superman. PG was there for some reason I can't recall, and a brief fight involving a bunch of Aquaman characters of the time, PG, Maxima...and then some bad guy...Dr. Polaris? Showed up, they all teamed up and fought the bad guy. IIRC, Maximan and PG didn't like each other...but then Maxima was sort of coming on a bit strong. AFAIK, that was the only time they met in anything other than a mass hero scene. IIRC, PG punched Maxima in the face after Maxy ripped off a starfish that was covering her eyes....hey, it was PAD's Aquaman, you have to expect Deep Blue throwing a starfish like a shuriken at Maxima...
    Last edited by achilles; 12-24-2019 at 12:13 PM.

You know, that would have been great prior to the New 52/Rebirth era. I think it's been said Maxima is a title now, so in theory the Maxima we remember exists and that could still happen, but currently Maxima is a lesbian so if she was to be with anyone, I'd probably have her be Wonder Woman's love interest, or at least give that a shot.
    I remember when people thought we might be getting the old Maxima back for Rebirth in, like, the last few issues of Superwoman until it turned out to be the New 52 version fighting against a...pretender, I think?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I remember when people thought we might be getting the old Maxima back for Rebirth in, like, the last few issues of Superwoman until it turned out to be the New 52 version fighting against a...pretender, I think?
    Yeah, it felt like an overreaction to fans wanting the old Maxima back and the writer saying "see? She was lame and the current one rules!" It did make Maxima a title, though, which lets Ascended's retcon work out.

Other than that Aquaman story already mentioned, no I don't think the two have ever interacted.

I can't take full credit for the idea either. I was in a theory crafting discussion with some folks here a while back where we basically rebuilt the Superman mythos, and a couple suggestions made by other people led to my Maxima "Game of Thrones in space" concept.

But yeah, I got a whole thing. Empress Maxima marrying Vartox and joining their empires, Maxima the Younger, heir to the throne who's trapped between duty and her personal desires, and then there'd be a son, Maximus.....and he was a real piece of work.

But none of this is about Karen!

Man, this got me thinking about how awful that Atlantis origin was. Back before I discovered pre-Crisis I never understood why a descendant of Atlan would have the same powers as Superman. I was so happy to have the earth-2 origin back in play!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

Other than that Aquaman story already mentioned, no I don't think the two have ever interacted.

I can't take full credit for the idea either. I was in a theory crafting discussion with some folks here a while back where we basically rebuilt the Superman mythos, and a couple suggestions made by other people led to my Maxima "Game of Thrones in space" concept.

But yeah, I got a whole thing. Empress Maxima marrying Vartox and joining their empires, Maxima the Younger, heir to the throne who's trapped between duty and her personal desires, and then there'd be a son, Maximus.....and he was a real piece of work.

But none of this is about Karen!

Man, this got me thinking about how awful that Atlantis origin was. Back before I discovered pre-Crisis I never understood why a descendant of Atlan would have the same powers as Superman. I was so happy to have the earth-2 origin back in play!
    It was indeed horrible. Though some of her best actual stories took place in that era in JLE/JLI/JLA. Such as they were.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I know, she got de-aged and turned into a lesbian in Supergirl during the New52. That whole "space Hogwarts for heroes" arc was pretty good, actually, even if I didn't like Maxima and Captain Comet being turned into teenagers. Comet especially, since he had already been introduced in the 52 as an adult. Maxima at least, we hadn't seen so the de-aging was fair game for the reboot. Still a great arc though.

I'd just play it like the younger Maxima we saw in the 52 was Maxima the Younger, daughter of Empress Maxima (the adult one we're familiar with from post-Crisis). That way you get both and you can explore the royal family of Almerac.
    Actually there's two Maxima's. The one from Pre-52 was dethroned or something like that. It was in the Superwoman book. Have no idea if DC is going to follow that.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Actually there's two Maxima's. The one from Pre-52 was dethroned or something like that. It was in the Superwoman book. Have no idea if DC is going to follow that.
    I'm not sure but if I remember correctly, the person who came with those horrible ideas for Maxima was Steve Orlando... who will write a team-up of Wonder Woman and Maxima soon.
    back on topic, I'm glad to have seen Kara on DDC.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    I'm not sure but if I remember correctly, the person who came with those horrible ideas for Maxima was Steve Orlando... who will write a team-up of Wonder Woman and Maxima soon.
    What did Kara do in DDC?

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    What did Kara do in DDC?
    If he's talking about PG, nothing. She just appears in a doulbe-page spread

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    I hate that he's writing Wonder Woman's solo. Tons of people like his writing, but I don't. And, yes, Maxima is coming up in Wonder Woman's book...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    If he's talking about PG, nothing. She just appears in a doulbe-page spread
    In other words, pretty much what she's been doing for years now.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I heard about that. But I don't think it really matters that much. Between all the continuity BS we've had over the last few years, the potential reboot (soft or otherwise) caused by stuff like Doomsday Clock and Snyder's JL, and DC's general willingness to ignore ideas and past stories, the current setup for Maxima could easily lead to something or nothing. I suspect it'll depend entirely on what the next writer (Orlando apparently) wants to do.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

It's a sad appreciation thread, with so many posts about character who have nothing to do really with the thread title character----more so because it's perfectly understandable, as PG herself has done nothing for a decade really, and is doing nothing now and for the foreseeable future, (there's no mention of her or the JSA really in the solicits as far into next year as they go).

Hopefully, DC starts giving this thread a boost by actually publishing new stories with PG.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    It's a sad appreciation thread, with so many posts about character who have nothing to do really with the thread title character----more so because it's perfectly understandable, as PG herself has done nothing for a decade really, and is doing nothing now and for the foreseeable future, (there's no mention of her or the JSA really in the solicits as far into next year as they go).

Hopefully, DC starts giving this thread a boost by actually publishing new stories with PG.
    It truly is sad for the reason you've pointed out. Shame on DC for doing so little with PG for so long.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."