Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default What is the deal with All Star Batman ?

ok I got to ask. In earth 31 is were batman year one, all star batman and the dark knight returns takes place. my question is why is batman suck a well @$$ hole in all star batman and robin ?

because frank miller.

BANNED

The deal is, it's horrible and will remain unfinished.

Because he's young, brash and arrogant - he's high on being Batman and hasn't suffered the experience that will mature him throughout his career. It's what the entire series is about. He's going over the edge - laughing manically while knocking peoples teeth out and swinging though the night air like it's all a big thrill instead of a mission and as Alfred says "You'll be dead within a year". Then Dick comes along and brings him crashing down to earth, hard. The Batman we know begins to form when he fully realizes the weight of his responsibility to Dick Grayson.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kid_omega_prime View Post
    ok I got to ask. In earth 31 is were batman year one, all star batman and the dark knight returns takes place. my question is why is batman suck a well @$$ hole in all star batman and robin ?
    There is a point of divergence where, while New Earth Batman was going through The Long Halloween after Year One, this Batman renounced his Bruce Wayne identity and money for years, being Batman 24/7 forgetting his humanity and emotions, the story is him kicking and screaming back to a human life. They strongly imply that in issue 10 or 9 I can't remember and probably would have been more aparent in future issues, but it's on hiatus (with Batman: Europa) until Jim Lee stops sucking at deadlines.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    Because he's young, brash and arrogant - he's high off being Batman and hasn't suffered the experience that will mature him throughout his career. It's what the entire series is about. He's going over the edge - laughing manically while knocking peoples teeth out and swinging though the night air like it's all a big thrill instead of a mission and as Alfred says "You'll be dead within a year". Then Dick comes along and brings him crashing down to earth, hard. The Batman we know begins to form when fully realizes the weight of his responsibility to Dick Grayson.
    On the other hand, writing Batman like a sadistic 5-year old with a permanent sugar and herion high was perhaps not the best choice they could have made to portray this. This in no way at all works as a story set in the same continuity as Year One.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    ...until Jim Lee stops sucking at deadlines.
    That is not happening until Jim Lee quits his main job (co-publisher of DC Comics) and deadlines become something more realistic for this age, and one month for 20 pages stops being the universal industry standard.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

All-Star Batman was horrible and it has fortunately been taken behind the barn and shot. DC replaced the All-Star line (which only managed this and All-Star Superman anyway) with the Earth One line.

I don't care what DC or Miller want, this is NOT in the same universe as Year One or TDKR. This crap can stink in its own hole.

Year one was main universe (until New 52) and TDKR lived in its own happy little alternate future.

If he wants All-Star Batman in the same universe as the equally terrible The Dark Knight Strikes Again, that's fine by me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    On the other hand, writing Batman like a sadistic 5-year old with a permanent sugar and herion high was perhaps not the best choice they could have made to portray this. This in no way at all works as a story set in the same continuity as Year One.
    It does, Alfred and Gordon are consistent with their Year One characterization, the only real diference is their interactions with Batman and that's because the Batman is different. It's delibarate.

That is not happening until Jim Lee quits his main job (co-publisher of DC Comics) and deadlines become something more realistic for this age, and one month for 20 pages stops being the universal industry standard.
    How about 20 pages in 3 years? Batman Europa is almost done, Brian Azzarello and every other artist finished their jobs in 2011. Just 20 pages missing, the first issue, Jim Lee's.

Really, I don't see how 20 pages a month is that big of a deal when there are artist out there who do it on a regular basis. And yeah, I understand he has a full time Job and drawing would at best be something ''on the side'', but that job also empowers him to give his unfinished projects to someone else. Which he wont do for apparently, his own ego.

I've got no problem with it being a continuation - it's Batman Year One and Six Months, after he gets over the nerves and doubt and realises he's awesome at this and starts acting a like a football player who just got signed to the pros - like an arsehole. It's jarring due to a stylistic 180 more than anything else (also, those nerves? that includes that little pissing problem )

I have it on good authority that DC is waiting for the 10th Anniversary of the 1st issue to begin putting out the rest (source: a 5th dimension imp)

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    All-Star Batman was horrible and it has fortunately been taken behind the barn and shot. DC replaced the All-Star line (which only managed this and All-Star Superman anyway) with the Earth One line.
    The All Star branding was abandoned DC-wide however ASBR wasn't taken behind the barn entirely: Jim Lee announced plans to release it as Dark Knight: Boy Wonder 1-6, which is what we're now waiting on.

Really, I don't see how 20 pages a month is that big of a deal when there are artist out there who do it on a regular basis. And yeah, I understand he has a full time Job and drawing would at best be something ''on the side'', but that job also empowers him to give his unfinished projects to someone else. Which he wont do for apparently, his own ego.
    I started a thread on the old board about this, who should replace Jim Lee on ASBR. My pick now would be Tony Daniel. Back ups: JRJR, Sean Murphy or Greg Capullo (while Murphy takes over Batman). It needs to be a huge name.

Because he's young, brash and arrogant - he's high on being Batman and hasn't suffered the experience that will mature him throughout his career. It's what the entire series is about. He's going over the edge - laughing manically while knocking peoples teeth out and swinging though the night air like it's all a big thrill instead of a mission and as Alfred says "You'll be dead within a year". Then Dick comes along and brings him crashing down to earth, hard. The Batman we know begins to form when he fully realizes the weight of his responsibility to Dick Grayson.
    Damn - Where's the 'like' button?

He did 6 issue between 2013-2014 for Superman Unchained so he probably haven't had that much time doing Batman: Europa.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post

I don't care what DC or Miller want, this is NOT in the same universe as Year One or TDKR. This crap can stink in its own hole.

Year one was main universe (until New 52) and TDKR lived in its own happy little alternate future.

If he wants All-Star Batman in the same universe as the equally terrible The Dark Knight Strikes Again, that's fine by me.
    ok so let me get this right... bm year one is first the the dkr and forget all star batman ? is that the just of it ?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kid_omega_prime View Post
    ok so let me get this right... bm year one is first the the dkr and forget all star batman ? is that the just of it ?
    It's the gist of it, yes.

I wish I read the same story as you.

Whatever Miller was trying to get across in those stories, it was still horribly executed. To me, the story is in the 'So Bad, It's Good' category.