Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    Superman is fine. As long as Gleason and Mahnke still the most of the art.

Action, it’s been fine, no more Booth kaythanks.

Super Sons is awesome.

Now we need Supergirl to get an injection (Bendis? How bizarre)

Lois Lane and the Daily Planet book by Bendis sounds intriguing. Can really lead to movie/tv projects.

Conner/Young Justice revival I think fans would eat it up. Must have awesome artists that are passionate.

And for the people that don’t like the books (mostly because of so much Jon, I suspect) an All-Star Superman book should be in order.

Is the 2 issues per month for Action and Superman still sustainable?
    Action definitely is sustainable. Jurgens seems to be used to doing the amount of work he is now because of how he handled major events like Death of Superman etc.

Superman... Less Clear since Tomasi and Gleason have taken a 2 month break recently until the Apokolips arc. Maybe drop that to monthly, but I hope they dont.

Now that its actually a viable option with Berganza gone, I'm hoping Jurgens is taken off Action, but for a promotion to group editor.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Some of the ideas sound good. Though i disagree with making Miller's story as canon even if it is excellent. First i don't trust him yet. Second i prefer this bare bones origin. I feel Superman is one character who is hampered by constant origin re-writings. Just move forward with the basic outline laid down. Either one tries something very radical, something too different from the status quo and one has to fit that within it like Birthright or its so safe that no one is satisfied like Secret Origins. I would say by all means write those origins but better keep that out of continuity. It may be unsatisfying to a lot of fans but its good enough in my opinion. Just add in few elements which are missing in the outline. Like say LOSH which is surely returning but otherwise i think we are good. It would last really long.
    I can appreciate and even agree with this line of thinking on principal alone, but I still think they should probably go with what Miller and JRJR are going to do. My ultimate hope being that it's treated much the same way that Batman Year One and Man Without Fear are treated; this story that is looked back to on occasion and for all intents and purposes the origin, but it's in this nebulous sort of state where future writers can add in what they like while keeping the core intact. That's basically what we have with Secret Origin right now, but the sharp contradiction with the injection from the New 52 timeline is distracting and for some will require they read up to 4 different arcs just to really get what they're talking about with the origin.

But I know what you must be think: "why not just have someone from the main books just do a relatively comprehensive retelling of the new origin?" To that say, they could've done that with the Jurgens clip show arc. That post-Reborn hype was the time to instill that origin into the minds of the fans and prospective fans for the next decade. But since that's gone by and the origin came with a wimpier rather than a bang, the next logical thing that would recreate or even top that post-Reborn hype would be Miller/JRJR doing a book that's now associated with the Year One brand.

I'm interested in making a strong cornerstone for the Superman myth for the next decade (and if it has the staying power of MWOF and Batman Year One, then longer), and if that means basically changing his origin not even a year after getting an uninspired clip show, then so be it. If it has to be made by the unofficial "guy who messed up Superman" then so be it.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Now that its actually a viable option with Berganza gone, I'm hoping Jurgens is taken off Action, but for a promotion to group editor.
    I highly doubt that'll happen (at least right now). Jurgens Name sells books. Plus he can keep the Twice Monthly Schedule up long term. Maybe further down the line but for now I think Jurgens will stick to Action (and Batman Beyond)

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I think dropping "Action Comics" and "Superman" back to monthly while adding two more monthlies, perhaps an "Adventures of Superman" and "Man of Steel", would be a good idea. Twice monthly is clearly too much a strain on both the writers and artists. Stories have felt decompressed and we aren't getting an consistent art style.

I'd love to see four loosely connected Superman books each focused on a different parts and characters in Superman's mythos. Let's see one primarily focused on Lois Lane & the Daily Planet staff, another on Lana Lang & Steel's sci-fi exploits, another on Jimmy Olsen's misadventures and the last focused squarely on the family unit of Lois, Clark & Jon. Superman would clearly be prominent in each book, but the different perspectives would give readers more variety than they're getting now and also allow different writer & artist teams a chance to really play, rather than the merry-go-round of rotating art and guest writers we're getting now.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I can appreciate and even agree with this line of thinking on principal alone, but I still think they should probably go with what Miller and JRJR are going to do. My ultimate hope being that it's treated much the same way that Batman Year One and Man Without Fear are treated; this story that is looked back to on occasion and for all intents and purposes the origin, but it's in this nebulous sort of state where future writers can add in what they like while keeping the core intact. That's basically what we have with Secret Origin right now, but the sharp contradiction with the injection from the New 52 timeline is distracting and for some will require they read up to 4 different arcs just to really get what they're talking about with the origin.

But I know what you must be think: "why not just have someone from the main books just do a relatively comprehensive retelling of the new origin?" To that say, they could've done that with the Jurgens clip show arc. That post-Reborn hype was the time to instill that origin into the minds of the fans and prospective fans for the next decade. But since that's gone by and the origin came with a wimpier rather than a bang, the next logical thing that would recreate or even top that post-Reborn hype would be Miller/JRJR doing a book that's now associated with the Year One brand.

I'm interested in making a strong cornerstone for the Superman myth for the next decade (and if it has the staying power of MWOF and Batman Year One, then longer), and if that means basically changing his origin not even a year after getting an uninspired clip show, then so be it. If it has to be made by the unofficial "guy who messed up Superman" then so be it.
    The Miller/JRJR Superman Year One story is its own thing, it's not meant to be the DCU's official origin for Superman and was never intended to be. For all intents and purposes, Johns & Franks Superman: Secret Origin is back as the origin, with elements of Waid's Birthright & Morrison's New 52 work mixed in.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    The Miller/JRJR Superman Year One story is its own thing, it's not meant to be the DCU's official origin for Superman and was never intended to be. For all intents and purposes, Johns & Franks Superman: Secret Origin is back as the origin, with elements of Waid's Birthright & Morrison's New 52 work mixed in.
    Is that an official word, or is it your own speculation/feelings based on what you've heard? If it's not official word then I'll believe it when I hear it/see it.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.