Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Lance Bannon. My all time favorite supporting character. As a kid I was CONVINCED he was the Hobgoblin.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

BANNED

Blake Tower, last seen in Captain America 615, although he doesn't look like him anymore (one of those things with Marvel Time).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Montressor View Post
    Lance Bannon. My all time favorite supporting character. As a kid I was CONVINCED he was the Hobgoblin.
    Bannon, yeah he was an interesting foil for Peter.

A bit like Eddie Brock before Eddie Brock, i.e. photographer jealous of Peter's skills, at least the movie version of Eddie rather than the one we got to know in the comics later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Bannon, yeah he was an interesting foil for Peter.

A bit like Eddie Brock before Eddie Brock, i.e. photographer jealous of Peter's skills, at least the movie version of Eddie rather than the one we got to know in the comics later on.
    Which himself was based on Eddie from the 90's cartoon.

I feel like Joe Robertson went through a time when he was a major character and then he was demoted. Similar to the way Betty Brant comes and goes, but mostly goes.

Overall I find this a hard question. If the character hasn't appeared in a long while, then they aren't major.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Fantastic Member

Lily Hollister was almost out of this after being MIA since 2013's Hobgoblin AXIS miniseries, slated to have an arc in Black Cat's ongoing, but then it got cancelled.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    I feel like Joe Robertson went through a time when he was a major character and then he was demoted. Similar to the way Betty Brant comes and goes, but mostly goes.

Overall I find this a hard question. If the character hasn't appeared in a long while, then they aren't major.
    Well, back in September 2019 I tracked down the Spider-Man cast with most appearances (after Peter), including supporting characters and villains.

1 - Mary Jane Watson - 1074 Appearances
    2 - Jameson - 1046 Appearances
    3 - May Parker - 766 Appearances
    4 - Robbie Robertson - 611 Appearances
    5 - Norman Osborn - 597 Appearances
    6 - Flash Thompson - 574 Appearances
    7 - Harry Osborn - 477 Appearances
    8 - Otto Octavius - 440 Appearances
    9 - Betty Brant - 428 Appearances
    10 - Eddie Brock - 377 Appearances
    11 - Felicia Hardy - 374 Appearances
    12 - Miles Morales - 374 Appearances
    13 - Scorpion (Mac Gargan) - 318 Appearances
    14 - Sandman - 300 Appearances
    15- Liz Allan - 273 Appearances

So Joe "Robbie" Robertson is a top 5 character. Now this is September 2019 and obviously the needle has moved but hey 2020 is the start of a new census year so we might wait a bit before time has passed that we need to update it.

Robbie was introduced in the Lee-Romita era, and quietly became a major character. His real moment of prominence I think was Conway's run where he has a big significant role in The Night Gwen Stacy Died and becomes a kind of father figure for Peter in that run. He's also a major figure in important stories like Kraven's Last Hunt, and part of story arcs like the Tombstone Saga (also by Conway).

Are those just 616 numbers?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I feel like the Bugle fading in importance to Peter's life has really reduced Robbie's role a lot. Jonah at least is so major that they find a way to keep him relevant even when he's not running the Bugle, but Robbie isn't afforded the same luxury.

I guess he got that Daily Bugle mini that got canceled because of Covid.

villain-wise, Judas Traveler: Never quite got his alleged appeal. same with the mid-to-late-90s villains, really. around the time my general interest in comics waned.

mid-80s ladies: Kate Cushing, Joy Mercado. Both at the Bugle.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Are those just 616 numbers?
    616...all titles. Including all continuities would be a headache. Also unnecessary since 616 is the longest running continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like the Bugle fading in importance to Peter's life has really reduced Robbie's role a lot. Jonah at least is so major that they find a way to keep him relevant even when he's not running the Bugle, but Robbie isn't afforded the same luxury.

I guess he got that Daily Bugle mini that got canceled because of Covid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    mid-80s ladies: Kate Cushing, Joy Mercado. Both at the Bugle.
    That's a good point.

Since BND, with Peter becoming science-guy, the Daily Bugle has taken a backseat somewhat.

Astonishing Member

Anyone remember “Lonesome Pinky”?

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Josep...us_(Earth-616)

Or that huge Australian guy that Paul Jenkins created (forget his name)?

Astonishing Member

I wouldn't say that Ollie Osnick was destined to have a major role, but it's sad that he's stuck in limbo.

Astonishing Member

I’ve only been reading Spencer on and off, but has he introduced his own supporting characters or only included characters from other runs like Boomerang?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I’ve only been reading Spencer on and off, but has he introduced his own supporting characters or only included characters from other runs like Boomerang?
    Well there's this one science partner who hangs out with Peter at ESU who works with on him on a Clairvoyant device. That's the only "new" supporting player.

Rest are all established supporting cast : Randy Robertson, Robbie Robertson, Norah, Carlie, Felicia, Teresa, Order of the Web, Jameson, Aunt May, Mary Jane.