Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by W8IN4KAL-EL View Post
    Are you sure you ARE not Superman?1
    I like to think the point of the thread is that, in some small way, we're *all* Superman.

Yeah, how's *that* for cheesy, guys?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I like to think the point of the thread is that, in some small way, we're *all* Superman.

Just cheesy enough to be perfect. We're all Spartacus I mean Superman.

BANNED

One of the moments that stands out happened a few years ago. I was in a hurry to meet a friend for lunch when I saw a car stopped on the side of the road with hazard lights on. The driver was sitting in the car and apparently calling someone for help on her cell phone. I pulled over on the opposite soldier and ran across to her car. I told her to put it in neutral so I could push it. I began to push and another guy appeared and helped. We managed to get the woman's car to a gas station nearby.

I was wearing one of the many royal blue, iconic Superman t-shirts I bought years ago when they were on sale at WalMart for Man of Steel. I often wear one under a button-down shirt for the inspiration. That day I was just wearing the t-shirt itself.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Once I wasn't recognized without glasses by a colleague who knew me for a month at most. He was sitting next to me, and he realized who I was only when I started talking to him.
    He told me he had thought I was someone new and mentioned the glasses thing of Superman.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Oh, very cool! When was your last year? I went from '88-'98 and picked back up again with (my now-wife, then-girlfriend) Ronda when she suggested it in '07. I'm sorry you haven't been able to make it back, and do hope you get the chance to. I hear you on the house repairs/renovations - i've been reading up and watching YouTube to find out just how much I can do myself for exactly the reason of how costly it can be. if you haven't been to a ReStore (by Habitat for Humanity) I highly recommend it. It's helped a lot. Not sure how much it'd help what you're wanting to do, but wanted to mention it in case it could help.
    My first year was 2011 and it was a friend of mine who suggested we should go. We had a blast. My last year was 2014. At that point my grandmother was gravely ill and my mother had to be put in a home due to her dementia. I decided to stick close to home after that to be close to them for awhile and stopped attending it.

The ReStore is awesome. I've found lots of things already for the work I'm needing to have done and I have a friend whose a contractor and my nephews who are in construction helping me out with the things I can't do myself. I love my older home but they need a lot of work and I let things go to long because of family issues.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 04-14-2018 at 02:03 PM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
    One of the moments that stands out happened a few years ago. I was in a hurry to meet a friend for lunch when I saw a car stopped on the side of the road with hazard lights on. The driver was sitting in the car and apparently calling someone for help on her cell phone. I pulled over on the opposite soldier and ran across to her car. I told her to put it in neutral so I could push it. I began to push and another guy appeared and helped. We managed to get the woman's car to a gas station nearby.

I was wearing one of the many royal blue, iconic Superman t-shirts I bought years ago when they were on sale at WalMart for Man of Steel. I often wear one under a button-down shirt for the inspiration. That day I was just wearing the t-shirt itself.
    That's a cool story.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Just cheesy enough to be perfect. We're all Spartacus I mean Superman.
    Good. Glad I didn't overdo it.

Ah, good man! I've helped a few stranded motorists in my day as well. I think my favorite story was when I was in high school. A couple cars went off icy roads and into the ditch (small town, we had ditches on the sides of our roads). No one was hurt or anything; it was just a inconvenience (New England, am I right?). I got out of the bus and helped push a pickup truck back onto the street. The bus left without me, I got soaked, and I ended up being late for class. But some cute girls on the bus saw me being all helpful and manly, so teen-me definitely saw it as a win.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Once I wasn't recognized without glasses by a colleague who knew me for a month at most. He was sitting next to me, and he realized who I was only when I started talking to him.
    He told me he had thought I was someone new and mentioned the glasses thing of Superman.
    I'm telling you guys, the glasses thing? It would totally work.

Not gonna beat facial recognition technology or anything, but for the average dude on the street? They're not gonna glance at Clark Kent twice.
    Last edited by Ascended; 04-14-2018 at 05:01 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I won my only first place at the very first art contest in kindergarten drawing Superman, Batman, and Robin.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 04-14-2018 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I won my only first place at the very first art contest in kindergarten drawing Superman, Batman, and Robin.
    There are a couple of things I had completely forgotten about and this reminded me of one of them. The first story I ever wrote, probably only a paragraph, was a Superman story involving him rescuing Jimmy Olsen when I was in the 2nd grade.

Someone on Facebook reminded me of an incident that happened in the late 1980s. I lived in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. In the winter, we got massive amounts of snow. Cars had to be parked in driveways, not on the street, so the snowplows could get through. Four of us were driving home and got stuck just as we were about to pull into our driveway. Three of us got out and started pushing. A snowplow was heading our way and it wasn't swerving or slowing down. This was at night. One of the guys panicked and ran off the road. The two of us that were still pushing kept rocking the car and trying to get it to move because there was no way the guy in the driver's seat could have gotten out and gotten clear in time. There was an instant I was sure we were going to be smeared all over the landscape. Then one of the spinning tires managed to burrow down to the pavement and got traction. The car started to move enough that we were able to keep it moving and get clear just before the plow went by.

The next day, the guy in the driver's seat called the city to complain and they gave him a royal BS routine about how cars can't be parked on the street at night. Of course, he explained that he wasn't parked on the street. We had gotten stuck and were trying to push the car. The person just kept giving him stock responses and he finally told the person what orifices he or she could stick them into.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Whoah! Hello Superman! Are you sure you are only 'formerly Superman'? That kind of bravery when 11! At least i know you were Superboy.
    lol! Thank you! Well, Superman's been an idol of mine since before I can even remember, so he left quite an impression.

It's the perfect kind of cheesy. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    My first year was 2011 and it was a friend of mine who suggested we should go. We had a blast. My last year was 2014. At that point my grandmother was gravely ill and my mother had to be put in a home due to her dementia. I decided to stick close to home after that to be close to them for awhile and stopped attending it.
    I'm glad you got to go a least twice, that's cool. Very sorry to hear about your grandmother and mother, and I'd want to be close to home in that situation, too. If you do go again, look for the couple dressed as Lois and Clark - 90% chance that'll be us. lol

The ReStore is awesome. I've found lots of things already for the work I'm needing to have done and I have a friend whose a contractor and my nephews who are in construction helping me out with the things I can't do myself. I love my older home but they need a lot of work and I let things go to long because of family issues.
    Yep, I hear you on a lot of that. Our home was built in 1901 (I always joke it's the same age as Edward Cullen, lol) and it definitely needs some tlc, but it's really beautiful and cozy. We're hoping to redo the bathroom this year, and the ReStore has been a godsend.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Those are amazing stories. I've never run into situations like that.
    The stabbing and the accident are the kind of ones you would rather not happen (the sound of the leg snapping... *shudder*) but the birth... even though she almost crushed my fingers...

It was also a bit of a 'Clark Kent'-moment (or 'Peter Parker'-moment) as I never made it to the interview. It was pre-mobile so I couldn't call them to let them know I was running late - and she wouldn't let go of my hand, even as they bundled us into the ambulance. Sometimes, when I remember, it's like a scene from a comedy, with me asking her to let me go so I can get to the interview and trying to convince her that the ambulance staff know what they're doing, and her squeezing tighter and telling me, in no uncertain terms, that I better not dare try to leave...

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    These really are amazing stories. Thanks for sharing them with us. I expected some stories like this in this thread. These looked like a job for Superman. This calls for a celebration.
    Even though he erased what he wrote, the words are quite true.

Remove them? Are you kidding? These are the kinds of stories I was hoping people would have! Helping a pregnant woman through her delivery, lending aid to the injured, you don't get any more "Superman" than that!
    They're the kind of things we downplay because you think (hope) that it's what anyone would do - but sometimes you can't help but me grateful that you were the one who was there in the right place at the right time.

My hat is off to you, good sir!
    Speaking of hats, it's a shame they've almost disappeared (the Fleischer/Reeves/Reeve look).

.....guys seriously tried to rob a comic book store? Damn, way to aim low. How much money did they think they'd find there?
    No idea, only know that they got away with £30 and an Aquaman comic, and were millimeters from cutting through someone's kidney.

The other day I was standing in the line at a convenience store and there was a kid in the line ahead of me. He was buying some stuff and he standing there counting out dimes and pennies to pay for it but didn't have enough to cover for the items he wanted. I told the clerk to just add his stuff to my own. I then told the kid to not worry about it and to keep his money for something else later. His face broke out into a smile that lit up his eyes and he said "Thank you, so much."
    I was that kid once. Was at a newsagents and they had a Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles annual (UK so not Ninja) but I didn't have enough for it. I asked them to put it aside and I would pay it off bit by bit but the guy behind me bought it for me. He was visiting his parents, whose garden backed on to ours, but neither of us knew this until afterwards when I went back to the store with my Dad and we bumped into him (in my excitement, I had forgotten my bike and run home).

When I was in elementary school I had a friend who was hit on their way to school by a semi whose driver turns out was drunk. She and I had been good friends for a long time and she as a fairly popular girl in school with lots of friends. She suffered severe brain damage in addition to her physical injuries. She literally had to relearn everything and I helped her with things from time to time because that is what friends should do. She was able to return to school a year later but she wasn't the same and as soon as people realized it all the people who claimed to be her friends abandoned her. Even her own sister started treating her differently and acted like a jerk toward her all the time. I was her only support and the only one willing to take the time to stick by her. One day I'd had enough of it and gathered them all together on the school playground and told them to stop being jerks at her just because she wasn't who she had been. Then I turned to her sister and said "especially you. She's your sister and a part of your family and she deserves respect the same as anyone else." After that some people stopped being jerks at her and even started help her out when she needed it.
    Powerful. May your actions continue to inspire others.

I have a story I rarely share. I saw an acquaintance sitting on a bench by the river, just staring at the water. Her hair was a mess and nails were bloody. I don't know why (I had only been down there a handful of times) but I was there and I sat next to her and placed a sandwich between us and we sat there for hours, not saying a word. As it got darker, she stood up and said 'thank you' and then asked me to walk her back to her dorms.

We left the sandwich there and walked back.

We never spoke about that day but she would often wave at me and smile.

I later learned from someone else that she had been raped a few days before that afternoon and had been sitting there contemplating jumping into the water.

Quote Originally Posted by W8IN4KAL-EL View Post
    Are you sure you ARE not Superman?1

It's not cheesy. We all are. We all can be.

It's one of the hardest things to go through. My grandmother had it but we were in different countries so didn't experience it with her directly, but some of my neighbours have had it over the years, many of them with no one around (family-wise).

Perhaps some day, some of us can attend together.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    lol! Thank you! Well, Superman's been an idol of mine since before I can even remember, so he left quite an impression.
    On many of us.

I've never counted the number of times I've helped people with their suitcases up and down stairs (I tend to use the Tube so giving a car a push doesn't happen so often, although I have done and have done tyre-changes, too. Why not, right?) but there have been many - and then I turn up to wherever a little breathless and late...

It's the perfect kind of cheesy. I love it.
    Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    Powerful. May your actions continue to inspire others.
    As may yours. You had some pretty powerful stories there yourself. I've never been in those kinds of situations myself.

I have a story I rarely share. I saw an acquaintance sitting on a bench by the river, just staring at the water. Her hair was a mess and nails were bloody. I don't know why (I had only been down there a handful of times) but I was there and I sat next to her and placed a sandwich between us and we sat there for hours, not saying a word. As it got darker, she stood up and said 'thank you' and then asked me to walk her back to her dorms.

We left the sandwich there and walked back.

We never spoke about that day but she would often wave at me and smile.

I later learned from someone else that she had been raped a few days before that afternoon and had been sitting there contemplating jumping into the water.
    You're story hit pretty close to home for me. My cousin was raped and also had, at one time, contemplated suicide as a result. If my aunt, other cousins and her fiance hadn't been around in the weeks after the incident I believe she would have done it too. Sounds like you were also in the right place and the right time for your friend. That's a awful thing to have happened to her.

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    They're the kind of things we downplay because you think (hope) that it's what anyone would do - but sometimes you can't help but me grateful that you were the one who was there in the right place at the right time.
    I like to think that most anyone would stop and help someone in need; that generally people are decent enough to help a stranger when they can. But it's nice when you get to be that person.

My heart goes out to the girl. I've known far too many women who have suffered that. It sounds like you saved a life, my friend. We're proud of you. And Superman would be too. Hell, depending on what kind of quantum theory you buy into, it's entirely possibly that somewhere out there among the strings, he actually is.

~ Black Panther.

I like to think that most anyone would stop and help someone in need; that generally people are decent enough to help a stranger when they can. But it's nice when you get to be that person.

My heart goes out to the girl. I've known far too many women who have suffered that. It sounds like you saved a life, my friend. We're proud of you. And Superman would be too. Hell, depending on what kind of quantum theory you buy into, it's entirely possibly that somewhere out there among the strings, he actually is.
    I agree on all of this. We are proud of what Adkal did. Its painful to hear of this suffering. I haven't known anyone who has suffered this personally. But its harsh reality. My heart goes out to her too. Its sad to hear from JasonTodd. My deepest sympathies.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Cool to hear.

I was never into art. I briefly learnt basic sketching from a tutor. I don't remember why i did not continue. I was really young. I used to draw some sketches when i was in school. For my pleasure. I say they were all poor. I remember drawing Superman once. I may post that drawing somewhere when i find it. It was a poor drawing. I remember that i saw it years later and could say its bad. But its good anyway. When you do something with love and care you remember that. That is what really matters, unless its your job. But i guess, its more important to have that love, when its your job.