Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Choose A Superheroine to Be Wonder Woman's Best Friend

Her closest superhero companions outside of the Amazons are Superman and Batman, but it would be interesting if she had a similarly close relationship with another superheroine. Please don't choose another Amazon, as this is meant to be like Superman/Batman; Green Lantern/Flash; Booster Gold/Blue Beetle.

I suggest Miss Martian since she could contrast well with Wonder Woman in terms of powerset and personality.

Wonder Woman and Martian Manhunter had an interesting dynamic in JLU that could serve as a basis for this pairing.

If we're talking civilian best friends I guess it's Steve Trevor, Etta Candy and, on a good day, Barbara Minerva.

I think with Wonder Woman...she's never shown to be particularly close to one female hero over the other but that means that she can basically be "gal pals" with any of them when she needs to be.

I agree with keeping her non-cape best friend. I do find it sad how so many heroes don't seem to have much civilian supporting cast anymore. No important relationships outside heroing. It's fine for some, not for others (works better with characters only on teams, IMO). Too many nowadays, I think. Though Steve and Etta aren't exactly civilians (I don't really like the friendship with Barbara - I'm tired of all the personal connections with villains).

But, if we're coming with nominations for a close friend that doesn't supplant her non-cape bestie, and just picking on the dynamic we'd like to see...I'd almost want to pick Cissie King-Jones because she'll stand up to Diana. But she's a kid, and retired a long time ago. Diana's friend should be a peer - not one that was a kid hero while Diana was a grown one. Old-school Raven might work (I consider the 1980 NTT to be an adult team), but later versions of her keep getting younger and personalities change over time. Bumblebee, maybe, though again there's the association with the younger team. Mera has the royalty angle, though Diana as a princess has never been my most favorite aspect of the character (don't mind it, but doesn't do a lot for me). Zatanna, maybe - just depends on what the characterizations are for these two this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I agree with keeping her non-cape best friend. I do find it sad how so many heroes don't seem to have much civilian supporting cast anymore. No important relationships outside heroing. It's fine for some, not for others (works better with characters only on teams, IMO). Too many nowadays, I think. Though Steve and Etta aren't exactly civilians (I don't really like the friendship with Barbara - I'm tired of all the personal connections with villains).

But, if we're coming with nominations for a close friend that doesn't supplant her non-cape bestie, and just picking on the dynamic we'd like to see...I'd almost want to pick Cissie King-Jones because she'll stand up to Diana. But she's a kid, and retired a long time ago. Diana's friend should be a peer - not one that was a kid hero while Diana was a grown one. Old-school Raven might work (I consider the 1980 NTT to be an adult team), but later versions of her keep getting younger and personalities change over time. Bumblebee, maybe, though again there's the association with the younger team. Mera has the royalty angle, though Diana as a princess has never been my most favorite aspect of the character (don't mind it, but doesn't do a lot for me). Zatanna, maybe - just depends on what the characterizations are for these two this week.
    I could see it with Black Canary, Zatanna, Mera, or Vixen.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I could see it with Black Canary, Zatanna, Mera, or Vixen.
    I feel like you can't use Black Canary because she and Barbara should be best friends. Not that a person can't have two close hero friends - like Barry was friends with Hal and Ralph, or Hal with Ollie and Barry. It's probably doable with Diana in the long-term, but maybe would be better received if Babs and Dinah got to hang out more first? I don't know, though - maybe no one would care. Or they like the friendship with Kara more (that's one that's never done much for me - even in old comics, when I wasn't peeved about the de-aging).

I feel like you can't use Black Canary because she and Barbara should be best friends. Not that a person can't have two close hero friends - like Barry was friends with Hal and Ralph, or Hal with Ollie and Barry. It's probably doable with Diana in the long-term, but maybe would be better received if Babs and Dinah got to hang out more first? I don't know, though - maybe no one would care. Or they like the friendship with Kara more (that's one that's never done much for me - even in old comics, when I wasn't peeved about the de-aging).
    I'm just saying I'd find it very believable to see Diana and Dinah as close friends. I think they'd compliment each other well, not that I would try and replace Dinah's role in Babs' life.

Retired

Diana and Dinah always seem like rivals to me, because Dinah has a habit of pushing Diana and other characters out of the way to take their place.

She-Hulk for some reason strikes me as she would get on best with Wonder Woman. Maybe because John Byrne had runs on both characters. But since there can't be a She-Hulk at DC, then I would go with Big Barda. That makes the most sense.

But all Amazons are super-powered, so Diana should be hanging out with her sisters.

Astonishing Member

Maybe her best friend should be a younger, anti hero/villain character(not Harley Quinn). Mostly because odd friendships are interesting.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

I can see Wonder Woman and Big Barga working well together if they happen to be working as a team.

Astonishing Member

I agree with keeping her non-cape best friend. I do find it sad how so many heroes don't seem to have much civilian supporting cast anymore. No important relationships outside heroing. It's fine for some, not for others (works better with characters only on teams, IMO). Too many nowadays, I think.
    Agreed. Without the human element, super-hero stories often become action figure fights. Wonder Woman didn't leave Paradise Island to hang out with with the powerful. Her closest friends should be ordinary people.

I think Vixen

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Maybe her best friend should be a younger, anti hero/villain character(not Harley Quinn). Mostly because odd friendships are interesting.
    I can get how some would like that. Not to my taste. I pretty much hate heroes being friendly with people that they should be arresting. I mean, thieves are one thing. Murderers are another thing entirely. Anti-heroes get more slack than villains, of course. But I'm not into anti-heroes. Still preferable to heroes for some reason grabbing Chinese food or going bar hopping or catching a ball game or even willingly working with with murderers or mass murderers who've killed innocent people and not expressed regret. That's not heroic.

Julia Kapatelis or Vanessa (and not as Silver Swan).
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I think her and Mera would have much in common, both being outsiders from ancient and hidden civilizations, yet their powers are very different they would always find each other interesting, and challenging working together.
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-06-2019 at 06:10 PM.

I feel Diana, Vixen, and Big Barda would be an awesome squad, I think they could bond over their mutual annoyance with the petty gods and how destructively irresponsible they are. I can imagine them shooting the breezes shitting on Anansi, Ares, and Darkseid.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."