Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which Bat-tech do you wish had never existed?

Looking at it in hindsight, which commonly used Bat-tech do you wish never existed (I ignoring the one offs). Either because the tech itself bothers you (too silly, too unrealistic, too expensive, etc.) or because you think it's become a crutch or just for some other reason.

For me, it's the impossibly light/flexible armor. Though I'd probably like to ditch the flying bat-vehicles, too, they aren't as bothersome to me. Anyone daring enough to want to eliminate the very noticeable Batmobile and go back to a regular-looking car? Or go back to the pre-grappling gun days?

The Hellbat armor is the only thing that really bothers me, although I think he only used it once.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

My first thought was the contact lens that connects to Bat Computer, but to be honest, it's not that far off from having a smartphone, and it's not like he can perform autopsy or craft joker venom antidote with it.

So I guess Moon Batcave. It surpasses Hellbat Armor in terms of ridiculousness and both are by Tomasi. Also, unlike Hellbat that's destroyed after fighting Darkseid, it's still out there... unless the Anti-Superman team destroyed it... I kinda forget...

I don't mind the armors for Justice League-level mission, in fact, he should always wear one.

The Bat Vehicles are fine for me because modern iterations include some kind of camouflage that makes them appear like regular vehicles, and I'm sure the Batplane is untraceable, if it isn't, they should work on that. Telltale Batman can make it invisible or use it to look like Bruce Wayne's car, though I'd personally go for something less recognizable

Brother eye I guess.

Extraordinary Member

The insider suit.

Incredible Member

The cloning machine from the Snyder run. Something about the idea of Bruce cloning himself to have a replacement doesn't sit well with me.

The cloning/mind backup machine is definitely up there.
    The I-Can-Go-Toe-To-Toe-with-Darkseid armour was ridiculous as well.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by alaminox View Post
    The Hellbat armor is the only thing that really bothers me, although I think he only used it once.
    It only played a major role once, when Bruce wanted to get Damian's corpse back from Apocalips. Bruce without a special armor fighting the forces of Darkseid would be ridiculous and the drawback, draining your lifeforce over time to work, explains why Bruce would only use it in really desperate situations.
    I think it worked for the situation.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    The cloning/mind backup machine is definitely up there.
    The I-Can-Go-Toe-To-Toe-with-Darkseid armour was ridiculous as well.
    He didn't really go toe to toe with him. He mostly fought against the demons. When he met Darkseid he used the chaos crystal shard to absorb one of Darkseids beams and teleported out of there.

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Everything that doesn't exist in the reality, because it make Bruce Wayne more similar to Iron Man than what he was meant to be (at least for me): the perfect fusion between the Sherlock Holmes' investigative ability with the Philips Marlowe's aptitude to fight. Same thing for everything needs infrastructures too large to be concealed (like the taxiway of the bat-jet) and maintenance so complex that needs highly skilled worker to be done (again like the engine of bat-jet), because they would make extremely difficult keep secret Batman true identity: too many people would find his hideout and too many people should know who is.
    The following kind of dialogue can work once, but to me it is very difficult think no one is able to do the same reasoning Reese did and I don't think the Lucius Fox's answer can work with the Gotham's criminals.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    […]
    For me, it's the impossibly light/flexible armor.
    The ultra light bulletproof clothes actually exist (Garrison Bespoke's bulletproof suit), but they are really expensive: the only jacket costs 20,000 $, while a complete military suit cost 3,000 $ circa, so it would be perfectly understandable that only a person rich like Bruce Wayne can afford something like the bat-suit; if it were made with the same materials used for the Garrison's clothes.

Though I'd probably like to ditch the flying bat-vehicles, too, they aren't as bothersome to me. Anyone daring enough to want to eliminate the very noticeable Batmobile and go back to a regular-looking car? Or go back to the pre-grappling gun days?
    Time ago I created a topic (Becoming Batman), where a guy created in his garage various Batman's tool, to me it was a good way to understand what a man can make alone (like it is supposed Bruce Wayne do) and what he can't make (like instead it isn't supposed Bruce Wayne do); and/or what gadget he can have.

Extraordinary Member

The gas that his cowl releases whenever he's knocked out and someone tries to remove his mask. That's just too much for me.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    The gas that his cowl releases whenever he's knocked out and someone tries to remove his mask. That's just too much for me.
    Yeah. Any of those defense mechanisms that are conveniently built into the suit (too many examples) always feels like a cheat, to me.

Incredible Member

Looking at it in hindsight, which commonly used Bat-tech do you wish never existed (I ignoring the one offs). Either because the tech itself bothers you (too silly, too unrealistic, too expensive, etc.) or because you think it's become a crutch or just for some other reason.

For me, it's the impossibly light/flexible armor. Though I'd probably like to ditch the flying bat-vehicles, too, they aren't as bothersome to me. Anyone daring enough to want to eliminate the very noticeable Batmobile and go back to a regular-looking car? Or go back to the pre-grappling gun days?
    I think the grappling gun is the one thing that should stay, IMO... how to get around without that seems much more absurd, to me.

I do favor a more low-key Batmobile automobile, more in line with the early unmarked sedans, but I have to say I do love the spacecraft / hover-craft version... I feel like that should be his primary vehicle. I don't think it's too much, especially if the rest of his gadgets are scaled down. "The Bat" in Dark Knight Rises was great, I thought, much better than the Tumbler car... a cross between that and the Morrison flying batmobile is my ideal Batmobile.

It just makes sense to me.... he's Batman, his "wings" should be part of the whole shtick. I like that he can fly (in a light-weight hover-car) and flutter around the rooftops (with a magnetic grappling hook gun, and his parachute cape).

Mostly I think his gadgets should be known to the reader ahead of time. I wouldn't hate a page that, along with recapping the story so far, also shows you Batman's "load out" inventory.

It feels like a cheat when Batman suddenly conjures a gadget that uniquely solves some crazy problem... instead I'd like to see him come up with inventive combinations of his existing tools to escape some death trap, rather than always having the Bat swiss army knife automatically have the thing.

Has there ever been a time when Batman was caught in a trap, and thought "Dammit I have the right tool for this in the cave, but I didn't bring it"?
    Last edited by gregpersons; 12-31-2019 at 10:07 PM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I didn't know it releases gas. I only know about the electrical shock.

Spectacular Member Nightcrawler92's Avatar

The flying bat cave or the Whirley bat... oy
    Pull List:

DC: Flash, Justice Society, Green Lantern

Boom: Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers

Image: Undiscovered Country, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun

Marvel: Ultimate Spider-man, X-men, Daredevil, Iron man, Thor, Hulk