Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rocket Girl

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

Default Rocket Girl

This series has been really fun and the Amy Hadley artwork is fantastic.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

It's been delayed a couple times though...
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Fantastic Member Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Art School Dropout View Post
    This series has been really fun and the Amy Hadley artwork is fantastic.
    She is Amy Reeder now. Her art is the highlight of the book, she is doing great work. The story is a little convoluted and in the issues I have read, the writer hasn't really focused on just what is going on.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    It's been delayed a couple times though...
    Yeah both issues #4 and #5 were pushed back. Next issue is scheduled to be released later this month.

Story By: Brandon Montclare
    Art By: Amy Reeder
    Cover By: Amy Reeder

Price: $3.50
    Published: May 21, 2014

"ONLY THE GOOD…”

The hard-hitting conclusion to the first story arc! Teen time-cop DaYoung Johansson uncovers a thing or two about both New York Cities, the connection between past and future, and the secrets that people don’t even know they keep. Growing up is hard to do—and sometimes it proves to be impossible.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

I'm not exactly sure how this story is going to end or which direction its going. So far the story is so rapped up in the current arc I cant see it going far past the current story. If she changes the past will that be the end of the series?

bobafret

The art is definitely the sell on this book for me. While the story has fun moments, it is really convoluted. I am hoping that it starts gelling soon. But even if that doesn't happen I'll stick with it for the visuals.

Amy Reeder makes this book!! I dont even really care about the words (although I do enjoy them) but my god the pictures.

Mmmmmm....

All-New Member

I'm thinking about getting the first trade when it comes out. Maybe someone can convince me. Why should I get this? Why do you like it? Is it similar to any other books? It sounds like a futuristic, scifi, feminist, crime procedural, teen angst book. That's a lot of genres to cover. It seems like it belongs on the CW.

Quote Originally Posted by Parking Meter View Post
    I'm thinking about getting the first trade when it comes out. Maybe someone can convince me. Why should I get this? Why do you like it? Is it similar to any other books? It sounds like a futuristic, scifi, feminist, crime procedural, teen angst book. That's a lot of genres to cover. It seems like it belongs on the CW.
    futuristic

> half of it takes place in an alternative future, half of it in the 1980's

feminist

> What? Just because it stars a woman does not mean its feminist

crime procedural

> No, the main character is pretty much an archtypal 80's action cop

teen angst book

> Not even remotely, the main character hasn't even shown an interest in love.

Its like this

Yeah I dropped this unfortunately. After four issues the story still didn't grab me at all. The art is fantastic of course, and I like that they have quite a diverse cast, but it never really excited me beyond the pretty pictures. But daaaang are they pretty pictures!

All-New Member

futuristic

> half of it takes place in an alternative future, half of it in the 1980's

feminist

> What? Just because it stars a woman does not mean its feminist

crime procedural

> No, the main character is pretty much an archtypal 80's action cop

teen angst book

> Not even remotely, the main character hasn't even shown an interest in love.

Its like this
    I took the feminism thing from another site. Someone was looking for feminist - type books and this was recommended.

That trailer was hilarious. I guess I will be getting the trade when it comes out. There's no better way to get a feel for something than to try it out. Has anyone ever mentioned expected run length?

Quote Originally Posted by Parking Meter View Post
    I took the feminism thing from another site. Someone was looking for feminist - type books and this was recommended.

That trailer was hilarious. I guess I will be getting the trade when it comes out. There's no better way to get a feel for something than to try it out. Has anyone ever mentioned expected run length?
    Amy Reeder has mentioned I think on Twitter that they're currently working on a second arc, so expect at least 10 issues. As for the feminist angle, the book isn't very political, but it does have a strong female cast. This is the type of comic you could give to your daughter: no hypersexualised (teenage) ladies and a kick-ass girl in the lead role. Also prominently features people of colour and not just as 'token' roles. So I guess it's feminist in the sense of featuring proper representation for groups that historically tend to get relatively little page-time in comics.

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    Amy Reeder has mentioned I think on Twitter that they're currently working on a second arc, so expect at least 10 issues. As for the feminist angle, the book isn't very political, but it does have a strong female cast. This is the type of comic you could give to your daughter: no hypersexualised (teenage) ladies and a kick-ass girl in the lead role. Also prominently features people of colour and not just as 'token' roles. So I guess it's feminist in the sense of featuring proper representation for groups that historically tend to get relatively little page-time in comics.
    I wonder what the second arc will be. Its not the type of story that sets itself up beyond the initial premise.

I get why some women might recommend it, but its not about social justice or 'GRRRRRL power.' I do admit it is refreshing that the main character is either asexual or is so devoted to her mission that she has no romantic feelings.

I get why some women might recommend it, but its not about social justice or 'GRRRRRL power.' I do admit it is refreshing that the main character is either asexual or is so devoted to her mission that she has no romantic feelings.
    Yeah I think that just shows how comics are still very much catering to a male audience. If this story was Rocket Boy, it'd basically be a quirkier, 80ies sci-fi version of the Rocketeer. But because it stars a teen girl and avoids a lot of the typically associated genre tropes, it's immediately lauded as progressive and feminist. When really this should just be the benchmark for stories; good characters who do not exist solely for the benefit of other (often male) characters. (Not to belittle any feminists, I agree with the view that there should be equality between all sexes and genders.)

This book is phenominal. The entire premise is just pure fun. Her whole "I'm a cop, I've got this!" stance is fantastic!

I just wish it wasn't so slow in coming it. It feels like forever since the last issue.
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.