Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    look as i said before that is false. I just graduated and while I wasn't constantly bullied I was and they were worse than Flash in SM:H. I don't mind him being more verbal but calling Peter Penis Parker just makes him a joke bully. Flash is not a joke bully. And saying that bullies are no longer the stereotypical meatheads is stupid. They come in all shapes and sizes. I bet you were one of those people who thought Andrew Garfield was too 'cute' or good looking to be a nerd because as we know all nerds are scrawny, pale faced, neck beard ugly weirdos but bullies are totally 5" nerds

If they wanted to make Flash more verbal abusive fine but they don't need to turn him into a rich snob. Hell why not have Peter joining the basket ball like in the Ultimates and have Flash harass him through that? I mean it's extremely unique and honestly this Peter is the least nerdy imo

And no I don't think everything should be copy pasted from the comics. Like everything else I think there is room for creative liberties but as long as they stay true to the character

BTW MJ is still an issue. It's no different than Lex jr. it doesn't matter if this isn't Mary Jane Watson and she's Michelle Jones she is still the character who is with Peter's clique she is still the character that hangs and joins them in his adventures and they kinda set up some love interest. Just because Papa Feige says so doesn't make it a none issue. Like Mandarin he's trying to save his skin and be seen as the big comic nerd. Let's say they introduce Mary Jane Watson in Spiderman 2 how would that work? Would she still be MJ? Or just Mary? Would Peter mention what a coincidence that she has the same nickname? Or what would become of Michelle? I really think Zendaya was meant to play Mary Jane Watson but after the backlash of her casting they say of she's just good ole Michelle Jones. It's the safest way to test her. She is passed as an original character who happens to have the same initials as MJ Watson. I mean why would they hire Zendaya specifically? Honestly anyone could've played Michelle and she was okay imo for the role but when compared to everyone else even Tom Holland Zendaya is the most popular with them. Marvel hasn't really hired anyone who too famous only to be a throw away side character. At least the throw away villains have a purpose. Michelle really didn't need to be there and could be written out with nothing different. So after all that you think Marvel and Sony would hire a well know singer/actress to play an extremely minor side role that did literally nothing for the story and NOT have anything plan for her? Especially when they wrote out Liz. Again it would just feel contrived same if Lex Sr just shows out of nowhere in MoS2 and hates Superman simply because fanboys want an old bald Luthor
    A couple of things:
    1. Just because YOU experience something, doesn't mean everyone does. yes, your stereotypical "gimme your lunchmoney" bully still exists, but the type of bull displayed in the movie is much more relevant by today's standard, you just need to open your worldview beyond yourself. You say you want them to stay true to this character, what is the main point that people know about flash...he bullies peter...which he does. And considering you just graduated you should know that teenagers are awful and would totally say something dumb like "Penis Parker". In fact, that's not nearly as dumb as the things I said when I were there age. In fact, you KILLED YOUR OWN ARGUMENT when you said they come in all shapes and sizes...soooo you're saying that the flash in the movie is totally fine and realistic because "they come in all shapes and sizes"? good to know.

2. I actually didn't mind Andrew Garfield. My problem wasn't that he was "cute" as you put it, but stuttering like he has a speech impediment in front of a hot girl doesn't make him a geek. They basically just made him a loner, not a geek.

3. Why are you so concerned about a name? so what if she is MJ? So what if mary jane shows up and she is also MJ? Hell, maybe they'll go with one of his other girlfriends that he's had instead of MJ. and if you want everything like the comics, he should meet gwen first right? And Marvel hired someone else famous as a side character in this movie: Marisa Tomei. Yes Aunt May is a pivotal spider-man character, but for the purposes of this film, she is a side character.

At the end of they day, why do you even care? your argument is essentially "I don't like Broccoli, so people who like broccoli are dumb idiots". Like I said, clearly YOU'RE in the minority of people who don't like this, which is fine, but that doesn't mean that you've stumbled into some kind of secret Marvel conspiracy to brainwash the masses. this move is made for the general public, so as long as they get the broadstrikes right, who cares?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    so why does a bunch of opinions validate something but one doesn't? Know what validates a movie? good actually arguments
    Because in statistics when you are measuring for results there are these things called "outliers" which differentiate from the norm, but do not in fact represent an accurate depiction of your total results.

Also, I'm not sure what your definition of a failure is. Commercially? Name one commercial failure from them. Critically? I don't think anyone of there films were every critically roasted by the general public or critics.

Is your definition of "success" that is please everyone, or just you?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jaddor View Post
    apples and oranges for sure, only problem is marvel is one kind of orange.
    I like oranges...

BANNED

Garfield was a waste. emo skater boy Spiderman, who makes a fool out of himself at a dinner table with his girlfriend's family and is too arrogant not to realize he is nothing but a fool. Homecoming is no Spiderman 2 but it is above Garfield and his amazing mess.

...but one cannot argue against the X-Men movies not been above the marvel formulaic trope.
    A wise man once said, "Everything said before the word but is horseshit."

Seriously? Cannot be argued? So not an opinion, just fact huh? And before the inevitable "Ant-Man and Iron Man are the same movies" happen...

A billionaire, genius, playboy goes through a traumatic accident and situation, and then tries to change his ways, makes his own suit and becomes a superhero... is the same as

A former thief, divorcee, father who's trying to make ends meet and have a relationship with his daughter, gets hired by someone else to make a heist.

Totally the same movies. Man, MCU is so formulaic.

By the way, Logan is a total rip-off.

Garfield was a waste. emo skater boy Spiderman, who makes a fool out of himself at a dinner table with his girlfriend's family and is too arrogant not to realize he is nothing but a fool. Homecoming is no Spiderman 2 but it is above Garfield and his amazing mess.
    I think Garfield, as an actor, was an okay choice. I think all the problems I have with his character are from the writing, editing, and directing. I think he did good with the material he was given, it's just that I didn't like the material he was given. (Kind of a same problem with Emma Stone in the movie too; she gives a good performace as Gwen Stacy, but the character suffers from the writing not giving her much depth, IMHO.)

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post

Seriously? Cannot be argued? So not an opinion, just fact huh? And before the inevitable "Ant-Man and Iron Man are the same movies" happen...

A billionaire, genius, playboy goes through a traumatic accident and situation, and then tries to change his ways, makes his own suit and becomes a superhero... is the same as

A former thief, divorcee, father who's trying to make ends meet and have a relationship with his daughter, gets hired by someone else to make a heist.

I mean, X-Men movie fanatics are willing to ignore that we've seen Logan have issues with his healing factor twice, or Wolverine's origins played out three times, or the Phoenix saga approached incorrectly twice. Or Magneto betraying the X-Men three times. But the X-Men movies are sooooo different right?

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    I mean, X-Men movie fanatics are willing to ignore that we've seen Logan have issues with his healing factor twice, or Wolverine's origins played out three times, or the Phoenix saga approached incorrectly twice. Or Magneto betraying the X-Men three times. But the X-Men movies are sooooo different right?
    That's exactly what I keep saying on X-Books forum. X-Men movies have literally done the same things with the same characters.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

That's exactly what I keep saying on X-Books forum. X-Men movies have literally done the same things with the same characters.
    And to me, it's not even a bad thing. The X-Men movies are good movies for the most part. But to act like they're so unique compared to the MCU is ridiculous. I can't think of any X-Men movie other than First Class that has a widely different tone. Meanwhile there are vastly different tones across the Captain America movies, the Guardians movies, Ant-Man, the Thor movies and so on. But because they all have humour they're some how the same and somehow are all action comedies (which is completely false) Deadpool is way more of an action comedy than anything in the MCU

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Danileriver23 View Post
    A couple of things:
    1. Just because YOU experience something, doesn't mean everyone does. yes, your stereotypical "gimme your lunchmoney" bully still exists, but the type of bull displayed in the movie is much more relevant by today's standard, you just need to open your worldview beyond yourself. You say you want them to stay true to this character, what is the main point that people know about flash...he bullies peter...which he does. And considering you just graduated you should know that teenagers are awful and would totally say something dumb like "Penis Parker". In fact, that's not nearly as dumb as the things I said when I were there age. In fact, you KILLED YOUR OWN ARGUMENT when you said they come in all shapes and sizes...soooo you're saying that the flash in the movie is totally fine and realistic because "they come in all shapes and sizes"? good to know.

2. I actually didn't mind Andrew Garfield. My problem wasn't that he was "cute" as you put it, but stuttering like he has a speech impediment in front of a hot girl doesn't make him a geek. They basically just made him a loner, not a geek.

3. Why are you so concerned about a name? so what if she is MJ? So what if mary jane shows up and she is also MJ? Hell, maybe they'll go with one of his other girlfriends that he's had instead of MJ. and if you want everything like the comics, he should meet gwen first right? And Marvel hired someone else famous as a side character in this movie: Marisa Tomei. Yes Aunt May is a pivotal spider-man character, but for the purposes of this film, she is a side character.

At the end of they day, why do you even care? your argument is essentially "I don't like Broccoli, so people who like broccoli are dumb idiots". Like I said, clearly YOU'RE in the minority of people who don't like this, which is fine, but that doesn't mean that you've stumbled into some kind of secret Marvel conspiracy to brainwash the masses. this move is made for the general public, so as long as they get the broadstrikes right, who cares?
    1. And I could say the same about you. The point of Flash is to constantly bring Peter down. Flash in this is a joke bully. No real bulies wouldn't call someone dick face. Teenagers aren't that stupid you know. Guess you also think kids need everything explained because they're too dumb to understand

2. And what makes Tom Holland a nerd instead of a longer? Nothing seems nerdy or geeky about him besides being in an academia club which he never goes to. At least Garfield still had his love of photography. Alsp any times did Holland stutter when Liz tried to talk to him?

3. Again with assuming I want everything to be panel by panel accurate. Regardless that's not the point. This just shows they don't care about the character. Even John 'Robin' Blake on DKR was more respectful to the character. Would I want Gwen as the first love interest? Not really because she was extremely bland. Not sure who said it maybe Jack Kirby but they mentioned the only interesting thing about her was her death. Even then ASM already did Gwen and lightening doesn't strike twice. Hell I don't even want MJ. I wouldn't mind if Liz stayed in the picture but that's not happening. Also while sure Aunt May may not be as pivotal as in previous movies or not being kidnapped she was still needed. She is no different than Sally Field May in ASM. We also only saw her in one movie so a lot could change. Again Michelle is just kinda there and unnecessary dry comic relief

I'm not making a conspiracy. It's simply. People are biased to Marvel because they've made a handful of great movies and are willing to overlook the issues of their less good movie. There's nothing more to it and again I care because I want great marvel movies. They've shown they can make great movies but have just gotten lazy

BANNED

*protagonist is either a nobody or an extremely c***y alpha male at the top of his game in life*
    *protagonist suffers a horrific accident/tragedy/mishap*
    *Mentor archetype comes in and shows him a new way of looking at the world*
    *Big baddie enters the scene and f***s some s*** up*
    *love interest is also introduced at around this time*
    *Mentor character dies fighting the big baddie or is otherwise killed by uncontrollable circumstance*
    *protagonist rises up to the challenge and defeats the big baddie and then starts his journey as a full time super hero*
    *Remember how, in The Avengers, New York was invaded by aliens, and the superheroes joined together to defeat them, and it was unlike anything you'd ever seen in a movie? For comic book fans, that's Wednesday. By our estimation, the Marvel Comics Earth gets invaded by aliens about 367 times a year, and the movies are following suit. Only a year after The Avengers, we had another alien-invasion story in Thor 2. MCU in a pea shell

Logan is loosely connected to Old Man Logan and the westerns of the 70s. No one ever denied it. That was the promise of Logan, to take a comic book movie and flip it on itself. MCU stays the same, Spiderman Homecoming is the recent formulaic movie suffering the consequences.
    The backstory of characters may be different but every mcu movie uses the same formulaic status quo. Logan is an out of the bubble comic book movie. MCU is sinking in the bubble of nothingness.
    The mcu movies are fun but they leave you cold when the credits roll. X-Men movies don't usually do that. Some MCU close minded kissers tend to interpret X-men as depressing or boring but what it truly does is reflect the problems surrounding ''modern marvel'' beyond Marvel vs Capcom infinite.
    The MCU have no clue on how to make a comic film that is not expected from the expected comic films. I will get some slack when next I bring up the maturity question since some ''men '' need to stick out their tongues at others when talking.

BANNED

And to me, it's not even a bad thing. The X-Men movies are good movies for the most part. But to act like they're so unique compared to the MCU is ridiculous. I can't think of any X-Men movie other than First Class that has a widely different tone. Meanwhile there are vastly different tones across the Captain America movies, the Guardians movies, Ant-Man, the Thor movies and so on. But because they all have humour they're some how the same and somehow are all action comedies (which is completely false) Deadpool is way more of an action comedy than anything in the MCU
    The x-men movies are not action-comedies coated in an easily crafted tale of people with special powers. Why not look at it as X-Men and MCU are both Marvel films but no one ever confuses their movies.

X-Men's tone is closer to marvel netflix but still restricted to make a PG 13 cut. The MCU tone is closer to the Disney millennial movies.

Deadpool is a representation of a sub genre of comedy called Black Comedy. Black comedy and MCU movies can not be used in the same sentence.

Incredible Member

Bs you're focusing on the smaller details

Iron Man is about a likeable scum bag who tries to redeem himself and with the help of an old mentor gets an advanced suit to stop an evil bald business man from selling a dangerous weapon to terrorist and have a fight where the villain has a better suit that's the suit

Ant Man is about a likeable scum bag who tries to redeem himself and with the help of an old mentor gets an advanced suit to stop an evil bald business man from selling a dangerous weapon to terrorist and have a fight where the villain has a better suit that's the suit

Also Cassie was just a MacGuffin she had no character

Logan took inspiration from Old Man Logan and there have been dozens of stories before Children of men that have the same story

Yet you act like every mcu movie is so unique and special and perfect and can do no wrong

Incredible Member

They do have the same tone are action comedies. The fact they all crack jokes during a fight makes it a comedy. Tell me the differences between the movies MCU fanboy

*protagonist is either a nobody or an extremely c***y alpha male at the top of his game in life*
    *protagonist suffers a horrific accident/tragedy/mishap*
    *Mentor archetype comes in and shows him a new way of looking at the world*
    *Big baddie enters the scene and f***s some s*** up*
    *love interest is also introduced at around this time*
    *Mentor character dies fighting the big baddie or is otherwise killed by uncontrollable circumstance*
    *protagonist rises up to the challenge and defeats the big baddie and then starts his journey as a full time super hero*
    *Remember how, in The Avengers, New York was invaded by aliens, and the superheroes joined together to defeat them, and it was unlike anything you'd ever seen in a movie? For comic book fans, that's Wednesday. By our estimation, the Marvel Comics Earth gets invaded by aliens about 367 times a year, and the movies are following suit. Only a year after The Avengers, we had another alien-invasion story in Thor 2. MCU in a pea shell

Logan is loosely connected to Old Man Logan and the westerns of the 70s. No one ever denied it. That was the promise of Logan, to take a comic book movie and flip it on itself. MCU stays the same, Spiderman Homecoming is the recent formulaic movie suffering the consequences.
    The backstory of characters may be different but every mcu movie uses the same formulaic status quo. Logan is an out of the bubble comic book movie. MCU is sinking in the bubble of nothingness.
    The mcu movies are fun but they leave you cold when the credits roll. X-Men movies don't usually do that. Some MCU close minded kissers tend to interpret X-men as depressing or boring but what it truly does is reflect the problems surrounding ''modern marvel'' beyond Marvel vs Capcom infinite.
    The MCU have no clue on how to make a comic film that is not expected from the expected comic films. I will get some slack when next I bring up the maturity question since some ''men '' need to stick out their tongues at others when talking.
    Oh boy, whooh! Some maturity right there. I won't go into anything. But I'll say this:

Logan is not based on Old Man Logan. It's not even a loose adaptation. It's barely even an inspiration. The only thing similar with the graphic novel is that Logan killed all the X-Men/Prof. X killed many mutants(supposedly only seven), and that Logan is old. That's it. And that it takes place in future, I guess.