Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Plus Brainiac 5 will be in the next episode of Supergirl. So there's four of them; Saturn Girl, Brianiac 5, Mon-El, and Supergirl.
    TV shows don't count for the comic book, though . . .

BANNED

Plus Brainiac 5 will be in the next episode of Supergirl. So there's four of them; Saturn Girl, Brianiac 5, Mon-El, and Supergirl.
    They specifically said they were being sarcastic. The CW's Legion is a disgrace.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    They specifically said they were being sarcastic. The CW's Legion is a disgrace.
    How so? You haven't even seen them in action yet.

BANNED

How so? You haven't even seen them in action yet.
    Can't judge Brainy just yet (aside from his awful appearance) but Imra and Lar have already been ruined, especially the latter given he's been with the show much longer.

Even the actor says he looks better over the course of the episode .

Though from what we see in the teaser, he at least sounds and acts like Brainy.

And you really can't go by what the character looks like in a few publicity stills. There were people that hated how Superman looked. But once people saw him in action they loved Superman.
    People were saying he was the best Superman since Christopher Reeve. People wanted him to be in a Superman TV series. People may very well want a Legions of Superheroes show too
    once they really show their stuff on TV.

And you really can't go by what the character looks like in a few publicity stills. There were people that hated how Superman looked. But once people saw him in action they loved Superman.
    People were saying he was the best Superman since Christopher Reeve. People wanted him to be in a Superman TV series. People may very well want a Legions of Superheroes show too
    once they really show their stuff on TV.
    Some stuff does look better in motion then they do in promotional material.

I have a lot of experience with that with Japanese Tokusatsu shows.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

I have a lot of experience with that with Japanese Tokusatsu shows.
    I really need to watch more Sentai than I have...

I really need to watch more Sentai than I have...
    Kamen Rider's cool too .

Thanks for this, DC.

Now just make sure that a teenaged Kal El is a part of this team, as they help train him and prepare him for his destiny (out of a sense of honor to his legend). Please.

As a kid I did not appreciate the idea of Superboy. It was only after the Crisis--with its loss--did I look back, and as the years went on began to love the concept. He's Superman, goddamit. He has a city in a bottle. He has a super-powered dog. And as a teen Superman hung out with cool kids from 1000 years in the future.

Make it so.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

BANNED

Kamen Rider's cool too .
    I've only watched Dragon Knight.

It's actually really good

Quote Originally Posted by Montressor View Post
    Thanks for this, DC.

Now just make sure that a teenaged Kal El is a part of this team, as they help train him and prepare him for his destiny (out of a sense of honor to his legend). Please.

As a kid I did not appreciate the idea of Superboy. It was only after the Crisis--with its loss--did I look back, and as the years went on began to love the concept. He's Superman, goddamit. He has a city in a bottle. He has a super-powered dog. And as a teen Superman hung out with cool kids from 1000 years in the future.
    I'm actually the opposite. As a kid, I thought Superboy was pretty cool and I enjoyed him as part of the Legion. But as I've gotten older and my favorite era for the team didn't have him at all, I came to see Clark's presence as more of an intrusion to the interesting characters and settings around him.

I've only watched Dragon Knight.

It's actually really good
    Oh...Dragon Knight .

Well, I'm glad you enjoyed it .

I'm actually the opposite. As a kid, I thought Superboy was pretty cool and I enjoyed him as part of the Legion. But as I've gotten older and my favorite era for the team didn't have him at all, I came to see Clark's presence as more of an intrusion to the interesting characters and settings around him.
    I really enjoyed his dynamic with the Legion in the Legion of Superheroes cartoon, on-top of their appearance in Superman: The Animated Series, so I just naturally associate them together.

BANNED

Oh...Dragon Knight .

Well, I'm glad you enjoyed it .
    Like I said, I'm more familiar with Sentai. I think I've watched 13 or 14 seasons at this point.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Montressor View Post
    Thanks for this, DC.

Make it so.
    I am of two minds about Superboy. One one hand I love him as a member of the Legion and learning and being friends with people his own age. One the other hand I hate the idea of Clark being Superboy out side of when he is with the Legion. I never liked the Superboy stories of him running around Smallville and the like.

If they could once and for all set it up that Clark was only Superboy when he was hanging out with the Legion that would be perfect in my mind. Maybe Saturn Girl puts a subconcious command in his head that influences him to not use his powers too much when he is home until he is older and better prepared to take on the role of Superman or something like that.

Retired

Sarcasm aside, the fact that the Legion are on SUPERGIRL increases the chances of an LSH comic book. So in that wise it's better to have them than not, if your goal is to get a comic book.

I started reading about the Legion thanks to Superboy/Superman in the '60s. So I think Clark is the perfect gateway character to bring readers into the Legion. You're taking a metaphorical journey through time to visit them in the future and Superboy facilitates that. And the best stories for the Legion were when Superboy was around. He didn't need to be active in every story, but his presence seemed to go with better quality writing and art.

He was there in the '60s, in the high quality ADVENTURE stories--but not really when they were moved to the back of ACTION and went through a horrible period. The Legion were nearly dead in the early '70s, but managed to make a comeback in the back pages of SUPERBOY, before taking over the title which was eventually changed to SUPERBOY AND THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES--another great period for the LSH with spine-tingling tales. When Superboy was moved out of the title that he created and it just became THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES, the result was a mediocre holding period for the group. Then Superboy returns once more and we get the Levitz and Giffen stories in the early '80s.

After Crisis and the mandated departure of Superboy, the quality steadily went downhill. Some people like the TMK phase, but it's a polarizing period for the team. And that leads to all the reboots in the '90s and '00s. Yet the infusion of Superman, Supergirl and Superboy (Kon-El) brings about some better times for the group.

Having said all that, I see Clark's participation as problematic because it ties the team too much to the 21st century and the ever-changing DC continuity. And that's what created all the mess for the Legion. As long as they have to connect with present continuity, they can't establish their own consistent universe in the 31st century.

This seems like an insoluble problem. The Legion are at their best with Superboy in the group, but Superboy being in the group will doom the team to more reboots.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 01-12-2018 at 05:53 PM.