Page 23 of 105 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373 ... LastLast
    Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpyshark View Post
    It's the same way Rogue's currently freaked out about having a baby, what with the Quiet Council's law, the vision she had, and her longstanding powers fears (to which a pregnancy is a big unknown). Maybe she'll get there with Remy's support, but Remy's probably learned not to make any more harbour speeches in the heat of the moment (not that he was wrong to make the harbour speech!). To push a stressed Rogue is to send her on a long-term road trip - at best! Take the smart option and get laid in a hot tub for now haha.
    I respect that. The only problem is you have to do some mental gymnastics and insert some head cannon to make it work. Not meant as an insult. Our job isn't to explain away a story. Its the author's job to tell a story. Tini had 6 issues to make her case, but chose to tell us about what Rogue went through instead of showing us. That's lazy and kinda cheap in terms of storytelling. A top of that, we have to trust and hope for an addendum for everything to be worthwhile.

Your harbor joke was very... humorous. Bravo. I chuckled.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    I respect that. The only problem is you have to do some mental gymnastics and insert some head cannon to make it work. Not meant as an insult. Our job isn't to explain away a story. Its the author's job to tell a story. Tini had 6 issues to make her case, but chose to tell us about what Rogue went through instead of showing us. That's lazy and kinda cheap in terms of storytelling. A top of that, we have to trust and hope for an addendum for everything to be worthwhile.

Your harbor joke was very... humorous. Bravo. I chuckled.
    Totally get what you're saying about explanation. It's tricky with so much continuity out there to include it all without overburdening the issue (especially because Excalibur #1-6 is stuffed already), and I'd imagine a good chunk of the reading audience won't be familiar with all aspects of 90s Rogue and Gambit, or even the rest of Dawn of X, to add in the explanations that I did, and you're right that it's up to the team to make it as clear as possible. I definitely agree that Excalibur has left me going "huh?" in response to the lack of clarity on occasion and can see why Rambit fans in particular are unsatisfied - I'm wanting much more from Remy (dude should be doing cool Rogue things if we're getting D&D up in here!), even if I don't think he's like a 50s housewife personally. I think I'm just bullish that Excalibur will improve on the Rambit front, and I'm here for the Braddock drama and the Mutant Magic, plus Rictor feeling his druid self.

Really, the crux of my LeBebe argument and the hot tub scene is that this ain't over yet since it's a monthly book, and definitive seeming statements are often overturned for draaama. Gotta say though, I wrote to Marvel asking for more adventures of the crew in Captain Marvel: The End (also for more of Illyana Rasputina from Leah Williams from Doctor Strange: The End and her What If? issue) as I'm way more interested in having them use Irene compared to them adopting or having a kid in the mainline continuity. We've already got Shogo, Maggie Braddock and Franklin and Valeria, so I'd rather see Remy and Rogue be parents unburdened by "true" 616 continuity, and The End setting is a perfect way to flash back to Irene's life. (Albeit, post-apocalyptic - hopefully Remy and Rogue held on for a while!)
    Last edited by Jumpyshark; 01-30-2020 at 07:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Anyone read Captain Marvel: The End?

spoilers:
    We get a brief appearance by Rogue and Gambit's hypothetical future daughter, Irene. She has Rogue's white streak & absorption powers & Remy's eyes. Yeah, the name and the detail about Remy's eyes melted me. We don't get to learn much else. It's set in a very bleak future. Sweet end for Carol and fun to see all these future kids. Feels even more bittersweet knowing we may never actually see a possibility of her or some other future kiddo now though.
    end of spoilers
    Always found it a bit lazy that children of mutants just seemed to inherit one or both parents parents more often than not. Seems a bit lazy and not how I would think it should work scientifically.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpyshark View Post
    Really, the crux of my LeBebe argument and the hot tub scene is that this ain't over yet since it's a monthly book, and definitive seeming statements are often overturned for draaama. Gotta say though, I wrote to Marvel asking for more adventures of the crew in Captain Marvel: The End (also for more of Illyana Rasputina from Leah Williams from Doctor Strange: The End and her What If? issue) as I'm way more interested in having them use Irene compared to them adopting or having a kid in the mainline continuity. We've already got Shogo, Maggie Braddock and Franklin and Valeria, so I'd rather see Remy and Rogue be parents unburdened by "true" 616 continuity, and The End setting is a perfect way to flash back to Irene's life. (Albeit, post-apocalyptic - hopefully Remy and Rogue held on for a while!)
    Yeah, but we really need to fill out that X-daycare roster! LOL

No, I'm seriously fine with no 616 Lebebe happening NOW. Although I do still want one eventually. Whether that's Irene from CM or Oli and Becca from The End/GeNext, or Maxime & Manon ... though I doubt that's what Ed has in mind. Though I actually think the gray twins power sets would be a fascinating take on combining Rogue and Gambit's power sets rather than a more linear inheritance like Irene seems to have. I'm still operating on a headcanon that mutations follow a pattern of autosomal dominant inheritance with variable expressivity and variable penetrance, though in truth it's probably not straight up Mendelian inheritance and there's likely a degree of multifactorial influence from other genes especially where appearance is concerned. But anyway ...

Do I trust Marvel not to break them up before a 616 kiddo EVER happens? Not really, no. Probably why I'm seriously annoyed with them for all this foreshadowing if they have no absolutley no intention of doing anything with it. But I guess we'll see. As you say, it's not over yet.

In the meantime, it would be nice if Gambit and Rogue ... and Remy in particular ... were at least fun to read in this series. For those of you enjoying it, I'm glad though.

And I'll take that story about Irene LeBeau and the 2nd generation of future post-Apocalyptic superheroes from KT regardless of what they want to do in the 616! We got a multiverse right? Let's use it! The fact that her name is Irene and she has Remy's eyes already has me swooning. I'd love to know more about her. What other skills did she get from her parents? Did she grow up on Krakoa? Was she ever involved with the Thieves Guild or the Avengers? Might be time to write in to Marvel!

And speaking of the multiverse and the myriad stories to tell, don't forget Rogue and Gambit Fanworks week starts tomorrow. You can search via the hashtag #Rogue/Gambitweek2020 on Tumblr and #Rogue/Gambit week 2020 on Ao3.
    Last edited by AppleJ; 02-01-2020 at 10:39 AM.

More art from Stephen Candell recreating some classic Jim Lee Rogue. I'm in love.

c7bf3ed2-caaf-4f81-914f-8e1b6cd97cbb.jpg

9f7bb698-525d-4bce-a51a-c01048b18166.jpg

As much as I'd love to see Romy offspring in 616, I'd rather not see it happen under the present circumstances. I could see it being used as a (possibly controversial?) plot device, as opposed to being something more plotted out and organic that was meant to please a segment of Romy fans. If MMX had lasted much longer, that would have been the ideal place to have it happen. Sadly, not the case.

Kudos to KT for giving Romy fans something to talk about in Captain Marvel The End though. I'd love to see more of Irene.

More art from Stephen Candell recreating some classic Jim Lee Rogue. I'm in love.

c7bf3ed2-caaf-4f81-914f-8e1b6cd97cbb.jpg

9f7bb698-525d-4bce-a51a-c01048b18166.jpg
    These are awesome.
    Last edited by Nox Noctes; 02-02-2020 at 07:40 AM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    Always found it a bit lazy that children of mutants just seemed to inherit one or both parents parents more often than not. Seems a bit lazy and not how I would think it should work scientifically.
    I am curious why don't you think a child would inherit their parents power after all there is a chance that the child inherits the same DNA that gives their parent their power now that wouldn't always the case but it would be common.

Quote Originally Posted by Tasuxeda View Post
    I am curious why don't you think a child would inherit their parents power after all there is a chance that the child inherits the same DNA that gives their parent their power now that wouldn't always the case but it would be common.
    Well I always presumed that if their mutation was the result of an X-gene, they would inherit that X-gene but said gene could result in a myriad of possible mutations. The chances of it resulting in the exact same mutation would seem slim.

Even if we presume the X-gene grants the exact same mutation then the concept of dominant and recessive genes still poses a problem. Mags could not have magnetism powers (whether dominant or recessive) and still have 2 children that possessed neither in Wanda and Pietro. Since Magda was human any mutant gene she possessed would have to be recessive. Since Mags parents apparently were human two it would seem their mutant gene was also recessive.

There is also Olivier and Bekka who split Rogue's powers and Ruby Summers who split Cyclops and Emma's powers. There is just nothing consistent about how these powers are inherited and if it is suppose to be random then so many mutants inheriting the same power just doesn't make a lot of sense.

Now of course genetics is more complicated than the above but point is the inheriting of mutant powers just doesn't fit any accepted scientific theory. Not that it has to mind you as it is a comic so suspension of disbelief is par for the course. I just personally found it very unimaginative but nothing I got particularly worked up about.
    Last edited by remydat; 02-02-2020 at 10:34 AM.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

https://twitter.com/XavierFiles/stat...238838272?s=19

My BoTA episode request is in! Not too shabby. Obviously I have some points of contention with their takes on a few things, but overall a good episode.

Yeah, but we really need to fill out that X-daycare roster! LOL

And speaking of the multiverse and the myriad stories to tell, don't forget Rogue and Gambit Fanworks week starts tomorrow. You can search via the hashtag #Rogue/Gambitweek2020 on Tumblr and #Rogue/Gambit week 2020 on Ao3.
    Awesome! Still gearing up to make my pic in time. I hope to find some time to draw it today

https://twitter.com/Doncates/status/...151482882?s=19

Holy crap guys! A writer aside from KT that actually likes Gambit?!

So long as he doesn't give him that gross mustache, I'm game for this. Although hopefully it wouldn't be in a "let's see how ridiculous we can make this character look" sort of way.

https://twitter.com/Doncates/status/...151482882?s=19

Holy crap guys! A writer aside from KT that actually likes Gambit?!

So long as he doesn't give him that gross mustache, I'm game for this. Although hopefully it wouldn't be in a "let's see how ridiculous we can make this character look" sort of way.
    Wow! Thank you, my friend for good news. It made my day
    Would love Cates to write Gambit. I love his Guardians of the Galaxy run and also he is the one who is responsible for Romy merriage. It was Cates who suggested to merry Gambit and Rogue instead of Kitty and Colossus.

XMM4.jpg

And here's preview art from AIPT today.

And yes JDW, I think your take on disliking X-Men as literal family is a bad one. I love them as chosen family and friends also, but that sort of leads into the literal family thing eventually unless we're keeping all the characters in some kind of college age stasis ... oh wait ... *facepalm*

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Wow! Thank you, my friend for good news. It made my day
    Would love Cates to write Gambit. I love his Guardians of the Galaxy run and also he is the one who is responsible for Romy merriage. It was Cates who suggested to merry Gambit and Rogue instead of Kitty and Colossus.
    I should try his GoTG run! And I'm forever in his debt for the Gold 30 switcheroo, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

XMM4.jpg

And here's preview art from AIPT today.

And yes JDW, I think your take on disliking X-Men as literal family is a bad one. I love them as chosen family and friends also, but that sort of leads into the literal family thing eventually unless we're keeping all the characters in some kind of college age stasis ... oh wait ... *facepalm*
    Bad art. To is the only one who was saving Excalibur somehow.