Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default Black Lightning Appreciation 2021

Last edited by 9th.; 01-10-2021 at 11:30 PM.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

I have such mixed feelings about Black Lightning in Future State. I was hyped to see how Black Lightning would look in this take on the DC landscape, so i was a little bummed he's been Doctor Manhattan-ized. however, I am hyped that he's back to slinging black lightning again, and I'm intrigued by what all this curse business is about.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-10-2021 at 06:27 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Happy New Year to Jefferson and the entire Pierce Family !

From 1977:

Last edited by Iconic; 01-10-2021 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post

I have such mixed feelings about Black Lightning in Future State. I was hyped to see how Black Lightning would look in this take on the DC landscape, so i was a little bummed he's been Doctor Manhattan-ized. however, I am hyped that he's back to slinging black lightning again, and I'm intrigued by what all this curse business is about.
    I wonder if the Dr. Manhattan-ing of Jefferson Pierce was at all influenced by the WATCHMEN HBO series which had a black actor portray John Osterman...

and then there's Jamie Foxx's Electro from AMAZING SPIDER-MAN2 (casting which was speculated to be to beat DC to the Black Lightning punch to begin with)
    Last edited by Thirteen; 01-11-2021 at 12:10 PM.

from Who's Who in the DC Universe #16 (February 1992)

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

One of DC's most underrated heroes-- even the CW couldn't make him boring.

The Other History of the DC Universe #1 convinced me that Ridley should be the steward of Jefferson Pierce going forward. He has such a great handle on him at so many stages of his life that I'm confidant that if he's behind the direction of the character, we'll see great things (even if I don't agree with all of them, though so far I've yet to see a choice that felt wrong). It was such a strong issue. I'd love to see Ridley take on a Black Lightning lead Outsiders run.

BL 11.jpgalways be my fav costume.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by warzon View Post
    BL 11.jpgalways be my fav costume.
    You know, I do like the suit but I just don't care for bald Jefferson. Don't know why but it just never works for me as a design.

Not my favorite suit because I just see a Nightwing/Flash mashup, but it's not a bad look.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I think the current costume is the best version thus far, although I do like the outrageously 70s Disco outfit and the 90s outfit from the short-lived solo revival.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post

I finally took some time away from my own product development to read "The Other History of the DC Universe" .

I've seen some describe it as a masterpiece. I'm not one for hyperbole but that description isn't *too* far off. There were moments during the read that i felt emotion well because of how relatable that particular moment in the story was.

Like some other Marvel or DC black male characters i've never particularly gravitated towards Black Lightning until "Cold Dead Hands" and was enthusiastic regarding the updated costume design back then. It looked good and that core factor matters when it comes to superhero comic characters.

What the updated (at the time) costume did for Jefferson Pierce aesthetically Ridley's writing did for Black Lightning with regard to character development IMO.

And even that sentence doesn't adequately convey how powerful the issue was.

If you're a Gen X African American male that grew up in the United States this issue should resonate with intensity.
    Don't complain. Create.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    You know, I do like the suit but I just don't care for bald Jefferson. Don't know why but it just never works for me as a design.

Not my favorite suit because I just see a Nightwing/Flash mashup, but it's not a bad look.
    My problem is that some versions of his logo make him look like he has bleeding nipples.

BANNED

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    My problem is that some versions of his logo make him look like he has bleeding nipples.

This look is what brought me back into the fold.

The bald Jefferson look got my attention but didn't hold it.
    Don't complain. Create.