Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Duggan tweeted this from issue #3. Does anyone recognize the ship? Perhaps they're already meeting Cordyceps face to face.
    Stunningly gorgeous.
    https://twitter.com/gerryduggan/stat...853907457?s=21

Interesting are they in Vietnam?

Incredible Member

5/5 issue. Better than the first issue, which was a fine issue in itself. Two issues won't make me a fan of Duggan yet, but credit where due, you know. And, needless to say, the art was outstanding.

This was a minor thing but I appreciated how Duggan depicted the Kansans with dignity and respect. Modern comics have trained me to expect that when Middle Americans or rural folks appear on the page, they'll be speaking in hick accents and/or shouting racist stuff (in the case of an X-men comic, "mutie" or something like that). It was nice to see Duggan avoid that trope.

Quote Originally Posted by Outburstz View Post
    This is where the divide is between the fandom because to me the mutants are not just heroes they are more than that. If I want to just read a normal heroes story I would be reading the Avengers or Justice League or something like that. Mutants separate themselves because they are not just heroes they are a group of people hated and feared by the society for who they are. How they navigate that is what makes them IMO better than any other comic book.

Regressing back to this notion of just heroes saving humans is just a pure step back
    , but at least the art is great and Synch is getting some spot light
    I don't believe this is Duggan's plan at all. I mean, it's obvious that the villains Kelvin Heng and Dr. Stasis (who is part of Orchis) were introduced to take care of the "hated and feared" angle. Also, the X-Men seem to be mindful of how they can be hated and feared by humans and seem to be doing outreach to try to better their reputation. That's why Seneca Gardens is open to the public (I think Cyke was greeting a tourist in issue 1) and is also a museum of sorts that highlights mutant achievements. That's why Rogue didn't want criminals to hang out in the Treehouse. That's why the X-men stayed for the barbecue in this issue; you change hearts and minds (hopefully) a little bit at a time.

Let me also add that even if the X-men were just a superhero team -- which they won't be -- they'd still be way more interesting than the Avengers.

Astonishing Member

Duggan tweeted this from issue #3. Does anyone recognize the ship? Perhaps they're already meeting Cordyceps face to face.
    Stunningly gorgeous.

Goddamn that's some GORGEOUS ART!!!!

For the Rogue and Wolverine fans who feel shorted this issue, I am sure those who were central in this issue will take a backseat to Rogue, Wolverine, and Cyclops in future issues. Maybe even the next one. I mean, look at the cover for issue #3...

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Interesting are they in Vietnam?
    Stunning. If that ship is Krakoan (the red/pink spheres make me think so) then Vietnam would be pretty close to the island.
    Then again they have gates but whatever this is gorgeous.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    I don't believe this is Duggan's plan at all. I mean, it's obvious that the villains Kelvin Heng and Dr. Stasis (who is part of Orchis) were introduced to take care of the "hated and feared" angle. Also, the X-Men seem to be mindful of how they can be hated and feared by humans and seem to be doing outreach to try to better their reputation. That's why Seneca Gardens is open to the public (I think Cyke was greeting a tourist in issue 1) and is also a museum of sorts that highlights mutant achievements. That's why Rogue didn't want criminals to hang out in the Treehouse. That's why the X-men stayed for the barbecue in this issue; you change hearts and minds (hopefully) a little bit at a time.
    I agree. The main difference for me is that they are now backed by their own sovereign nation, and a planet. So while it's very "standard superhero-y", I think the stakes are actually higher now because they have a whole lot to lose.

Plus, Orchis is coming.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    For the Rogue and Wolverine fans who feel shorted this issue, I am sure those who were central in this issue will take a backseat to Rogue, Wolverine, and Cyclops in future issues. Maybe even the next one. I mean, look at the cover for issue #3...

This! Very excited to see Laura’s reasoning for joining the team and to see if Duggan finds any inventive ways of doing power combos between Rogue and Synch.

Stunningly gorgeous.

The hands/bridge reminds me of an old X-Men video game where the team climbed stairs and then crossed over to a huge statue that was attached to the hands to enter the next level.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    This! Very excited to see Laura’s reasoning for joining the team and to see if Duggan finds any inventive ways of doing power combos between Rogue and Synch.
    Being Duggan the writer I doubt it very much.
    He did not use Rogue's mutant powers once in a damn two-year career in Uncanny Avengers, Jim Zub had to arrive so that Rogue again felt comfortable with all of her powerset, and used her mutant powers in battle. .

Duggan likes Rogue just like a flying brick.

Synch has used her powers already on three different characters and two issues.
    Rogue, how many times has he used her mutant powers?
    0. And most likely that statistic continues in Rogue.

Astonishing Member

I agree. The main difference for me is that they are now backed by their own sovereign nation, and a planet. So while it's very "standard superhero-y", I think the stakes are actually higher now because they have a whole lot to lose.

Plus, Orchis is coming.
    Completely agree. Which is why I can't take folks calling this "regressive" seriously I mean I guess you can call it regressive if you want to completely ignore context?

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    How do you not see this as a problem?
    Because I’m okay with Laura being cool? I don’t really know how you expect me to answer this? Just because Laura has moved past her life of being a mindless weapon doesn’t mean she can’t also drop a cool line when fighting bad guys, she’s done it a bunch now under multiple writers so it’s legit to me. There’s no reason both her and Logan can’t be “Wolverine” and they way she’s being written by Duggan is 100% Wolverine.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quiet King 2 Regent Ororo RealEyesRealizeRealLies77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GeneTitan View Post
    Thanks, man. I appreciate that. Sorry I'm just seeing it and replying late. I was able to get my copy today. Reading through the thread now and about to post my thoughts.
    Not a problem, I hate when that happens and it occurred constantly with Diamond.Really hoping that Penguin is an improvement in this area.
    The Pessimist looks down and hits his head
    The Optimist looks up and loses his footing
    The Realist looks forward and adjusts his path accordingly

Pull List : X-MEN , IMMORTAL X-MEN , NEW MUTANTS , X-MEN RED , WOLVERINE, THOR ,ETERNALS , BLACK PANTHER , EXCELLENCE , KILLADELPHIA , NOCTERRA ,THE NICE HOUSE ON THE LAKE , LITTLE MONSTERS , BONEYARD ORCHARD , NIGHTMARE BLOG , SEVEN SONS

Quiet King 2 Regent Ororo RealEyesRealizeRealLies77's Avatar

I do understand why there are feelings of the X-MEN being regressive and just naively going back to protecting the humans that fear & hate them again as I first felt that upon hearing the modus operandi of the team.I then had to consider that they had to put the super heroics on hold while they formed & developed their nation.Now that they've developed their nation ,created resurrection proto-calls to bring back millions of mutants, established a global trade agreement in lieu of state acknowledgement, terraformed a dead planet & populated it with millions of warrior mutants that was becoming an issue, & have sealed their position in the galactic scene as Regents of Sol system, they can turn their attention back to continuing to be heroic & protecting humans now that they don't have to worry about being exterminated every other week & can begin to thrive while cementing their standing as a proud mutant nation.That being said, if Duggan churns out 6+ issues or a reoccurring theme of just that then I'm going to get bored very quick & complaints of regression will be valid.I want to see them being proactive on the Orchis front as well & taking the business straight to that Gameworld once they discover it's them sending the monsters.I also wouldn't mind more moments with the public also.After witnessing anyone battle a behemoth like that while protecting your lives,who wouldn't come out & be welcoming & grateful.They even participated & helped kill some.That's the America I know,we may not like each other but let some aliens come invading we will kill with each other!
    Last edited by RealEyesRealizeRealLies77; 08-05-2021 at 05:17 PM.
    The Pessimist looks down and hits his head
    The Optimist looks up and loses his footing
    The Realist looks forward and adjusts his path accordingly

Pull List : X-MEN , IMMORTAL X-MEN , NEW MUTANTS , X-MEN RED , WOLVERINE, THOR ,ETERNALS , BLACK PANTHER , EXCELLENCE , KILLADELPHIA , NOCTERRA ,THE NICE HOUSE ON THE LAKE , LITTLE MONSTERS , BONEYARD ORCHARD , NIGHTMARE BLOG , SEVEN SONS

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    It's almost certainly not intentional. At least in regard to implying this is part of her "newfound happiness." He's simply cramming a square character into a round hole. It's incredibly problematic that the default state of mental and emotional health in comics is considered to be that everyone must be an outgoing social butterfly, and if you're not it's a sign of something wrong with you, whether it's because the character is depressed, suffering some other sort of mental or emotional trauma or illness, etc.

People always make a deal about representation with regards to characters like Karma and Forge. It's one of the biggest arguments for keeping them with artificial limbs in spite of it making no logical sense when you have multiple characters who can restore them, (to say nothing of the lack of logic with the resurrection protocols) and suggesting otherwise is shit on as being "ablist." So why the hell shouldn't people want to see a healthy introvert? Where's that representation?

INTROVERTS OF THE WORLD UNITE...As far away from me as possible.
    I'm hardly an expert on Laura, but I am an introvert, and I don't quip with strangers. I agree with your general statement here, but I can't make any claims on characterization.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Either you have a poor opinion of what an hero is or too high an opinion of what a mutant is, in my opinion.
    I agree. Goodness forbid a book that shows the X-Men as the heroes they've been, or that we get one book that isn't trying to be some radical reinvention of what the X-Books are.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    When it comes to the end of the year awards, I have to say that the cover to this one gets my vote

It really is a fantastic cover (it might have made a better cover for the first issue), but have they hit their highwater mark in this area already? How will they match or even top this?
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.