Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Dave Cockrum's classic black costume redesign!
    That is pretty cool. Feels vaguely similar to the N7 combat armors in Mass Effect, and Female Commander Shepard did voice Carol Danvers in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Though the Cockrum version often showed a lot of butt cheek....
    Cockrum was pretty tame, compared to what we got in later years by subsequent artists who drew Carol in that costume once the Comics Code Authority was phased out.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    You have a good eye. Agreed on all counts. I think the newer tweaks were to stop the backsliding that occurred where artists used the McKelvie design but made it more body hugging and ignored the fabric choices in favour of Lycra. If it were up to me McKelive would be the staff costume designer for Marvel. He is a genius when it comes to characterisation through clothing.
    Hmm, that sounds like a nice idea. There probably should be a professional costume designer for Marvel, or at least someone to edit the designs of the artists who'll have the most regular art duties on any particular character so that the design reflects the character, even if some "cool" or "sexy" points get lost.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by vitaminbee View Post
    I have to say Anka's tweaks upped it a bit too.

What Carol Danvers look/suit are you talking about? None of her main outfits ever showed cleavage.
    pardon me
    just google carole danvers cleavage
    u will get answer

Quote Originally Posted by vikramkhore View Post
    pardon me
    u will get answer
    Cleavage is when the upper chest area is exposed and showing a breast line/curve. None of her outfits have that, thankfully. I'm happy to see that artists are starting to actually draw her outfit without having it look like it was spray painted onto her body.

Quote Originally Posted by vikramkhore View Post
    pardon me
    u will get answer
    I did. None of them have her showing cleavage. A lot show her with massive breasts, because superhero comics. But none showed her with cleavage.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I did. None of them have her showing cleavage. A lot show her with massive breasts, because superhero comics. But none showed her with cleavage.
    Indeed this is true, the issue with portraying Carol has not usually been flesh coverage (unless you count thighs). Instead it has been about how skin tight and 'virtually nude' her outline and curves are displayed. She tended to be aimed a pin-up end of the market, so you would often find the lycra around her breasts moulded improbably to look like a spay job, or stretched provocatively. That was a marketing choice.

This is exactly what I am referring to when I mention the back-slide. The McKelvie costume was designed to match the more professional and military portrayal from DeConnick, which didn't hide her curves or make her less sexy, so much as put her in less flexible fabric, with a zip line to take emphasis away from any stretch across her chest, many artists were just using the surface design and reverting back to the lycra look. It is subtle, but it pulls the character back towards a different market, and potentially away from the audience they were aiming at. They want cool, professional but identifiably sexy, not hot chick pin-up sexy.

P.S. The Anka tweaks have focused on padding lines, so that the abdomen is no longer a focus, and the outer curve of her breasts are de-emphasised. This is flight suit Carol, with utility belt. Whether this is better is a matter of taste, but she looks like she is about to jump behind the controls of a jet now. It is perhaps no coincidence it would be a good look if made into a movie costume. X-Men flight suits done properly.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 09-23-2016 at 04:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That is pretty cool. Feels vaguely similar to the N7 combat armors in Mass Effect, and Female Commander Shepard did voice Carol Danvers in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

Cockrum was pretty tame, compared to what we got in later years by subsequent artists who drew Carol in that costume once the Comics Code Authority was phased out.

Hmm, that sounds like a nice idea. There probably should be a professional costume designer for Marvel, or at least someone to edit the designs of the artists who'll have the most regular art duties on any particular character so that the design reflects the character, even if some "cool" or "sexy" points get lost.
    And hopefully, we wouldnt end up with Spider-woman's street clothes either.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Quinch View Post
    Those are impressive designs but I still miss the simplicity of her classic black costume designed by Dave Cockrum.
    Was it black? I always though it was dark blue in color,kinda similar to Thor's original costume?

This looks like the kind of costume an evil Carol from an alternate universe would wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    Was it black? I always though it was dark blue in color,kinda similar to Thor's original costume?
    I'm pretty sure it's black. Dark blue is how her Cap costume was usually colored before Anka's redesign.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's black. Dark blue is how her Cap costume was usually colored before Anka's redesign.

It's also a somewhat complex issue because older comics would use dark blue as a substitute for black. For example, Spider-Man was originally supposed to be colored red and black, but because of the color limitations of the era, the parts of his suit that were supposed to be black were colored dark blue instead. Somewhat similar is his future counterpart Spider-Man 2099, who was colored dark blue but described in early issues by the characters as wearing black.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    It's also a somewhat complex issue because older comics would use dark blue as a substitute for black. For example, Spider-Man was originally supposed to be colored red and black, but because of the color limitations of the era, the parts of his suit that were supposed to be black were colored dark blue instead. Somewhat similar is his future counterpart Spider-Man 2099, who was colored dark blue but described in early issues by the characters as wearing black.
    Yeah, I think stuff like these is even done these days too. I always considered the X-Men original uniforms to be yellow and black but I see there's lot of people who consider to be blue...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Well, add the mask and she is the Symbiote Spider-man.
    No. To me, the comicbook character Carol Danvers went by the way cool name bestowed upon the character by to me the esteemed writer Kurt Busiek Warbird!
    Ms. Marvel dealing with the Symbiote not bad!

Her Ms. Marvel outfit was fun but a little too impractical and doesn't make a whole lot of sense for who she is now. Also, I really like this color variation Anka did for one of his costume redesign possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Yeah, I think stuff like these is even done these days too. I always considered the X-Men original uniforms to be yellow and black but I see there's lot of people who consider to be blue...
    They're officially blue and gold. That's where the 90s team names came from.

To me, aside from B these are great designs including the MASK
    Leinil Yu? With a couple of small tweaks. E really works imo.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher