Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    It's possible. Characters like T'Challa tend to find themselves in that position from time to time. In comic book fiction, keeping stuff too close to the chest does tend to blow up in your face later if not sooner.

But I suppose that's almost what you're signing onto when you decide a guy like T'Challa is your leader. You should KNOW a guy like him will do that sort of stuff. If you want a more open book, pick Steve. But from a storytelling standpoint that's probably why you don't pick Steve. If you're going to have a different leader than Steve, might as well have someone that does things differently than Steve. Otherwise, you might as well have picked Steve. The differences are part of the fun.
    besides, everyone already made the mistake of trusting Steve only last year!

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    besides, everyone already made the mistake of trusting Steve only last year!
    If you think of the most obvious choices apart from T'Challa... Steve being involved in Secret Empire was practically last week in marvel time. Carol spear heading Civil War 2 wasn't that long ago. And even Stark and the first Civil War are still reasonably fresh in everyone's mind.

Marvel hasn't given us a reason not to trust T'Challa in awhile, so I guess it was his turn.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    If you think of the most obvious choices apart from T'Challa... Steve being involved in Secret Empire was practically last week in marvel time. Carol spear heading Civil War 2 wasn't that long ago. And even Stark and the first Civil War are still reasonably fresh in everyone's mind.

Marvel hasn't given us a reason not to trust T'Challa in awhile, so I guess it was his turn.
    Indeed, although I don't think Marvel Time quite works like that anymore. If it ever did. Secret invasion will be at least a few months ago. It will only appear closer if viewed from some time in the future without a telescope.

Books are inconsistent, but it ought to have been at least two years since Secret Invasion. Secret Wars accounts for one year for sure as there was a timeskip there linewide (notably causing Squirrel Girl to become a second year student instead of a first year). The other year is confirmed by Fantastic Four, as Reed said the Future Foundation had been missing for five years, but it had been one year for Ben and Johnny, who stayed on 616. Runaways collaborates this timeline by having it be two years since Gert's death. Champions confirms it as well, as Viv Vision is a year old. She was "born" just after Secret Wars.

The big anomaly is the X books, as the kids there don't seem to have aged, even the ones who debuted 15 years ago. Well, with the exception of X-23 that is.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

In the head canon of my mind, it's been five years since Secret Invasion. I know this doesn't really jive with canon, but it's my head canon and I'm sticking to it.

To a certain point, I think we all sort of just have to go with what makes sense to us individually by using clues and our own ideas.

I do think Black Panther is the best choice for a leader. Steve, Carol, and Tony all have too much baggage, Jen and Thor are in no way in good places to lead, and Robbie is way too green.

And T'Challa brings with him his own set of drama by being a king of a small but powerful nation that might be finally ready to prove itself the superpower it thinks it deserves to be.

Given Aaron's focus on nationalism and tribalism and their dangers, I think he's really doing s good job of also showcasing just how big and diverse the MU is. Yes, you have the superheroes and teams like the Avengers, X-Men, FF, and some smaller teams, but now you have different countries wanting in by creating their own teams that function independently from the established teams. Then you have the various gods and pantheons. Oh, and you have thousands, maybe millions of vampires who are ultimately loyal to whoever the Lord of the Vampires is. Oh, and the underground sewers of Manhattan are also home to not just the mutant Morlocks, but to a monster nation that is practically a country by itself.

Of course, then you have all the different aliens and pseudo-gods.

And I feel like Aaron is working to make it all feel like a connected community.

Ultimate Member

They kind of did yes.

Indeed it didn't feel like Morbius was being recruited.

---

My main concern is that T'Challa is keeping his cards far too close to his chest. He is trying to juggle multiple roles. Also, given the subtle suggestion last issue that he is like Watchman's Ozymandias, then I suspect we will see him pitched against the rest of the Avengers at some point.
    I find that unlikely. All T'Challa's done in this issue was give the Avengers some support staff, something literally every team needs.

Also, how is it Ka-zar is used for spying on Atlantis and not Stingray? (yes, I know what happened). I swear to God, logical narrative is dead and we're reading paid fanfiction.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I find that unlikely. All T'Challa's done in this issue was give the Avengers some support staff, something literally every team needs.

Also, how is it Ka-zar is used for spying on Atlantis and not Stingray? (yes, I know what happened). I swear to God, logical narrative is dead and we're reading paid fanfiction.
    I mean, the writers are fans. All of them have their own favorites and agendas on how to use these characters. That isn't a bad thing.

Some of these writers have had these stories in their heads since they themselves were kids and I don't think that's a bad thing.

As I just said, the MU is such a huge place now.

And isn't Stingray recovering from almost dying? Plus, I imagine you can make the case that the Avengers are worried that other aquatic characters-which there aren't a ton of to begin with-might side with Namor. So why not bring in someone completely different and who Namor wouldn't expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I mean, the writers are fans. All of them have their own favorites and agendas on how to use these characters. That isn't a bad thing.

Some of these writers have had these stories in their heads since they themselves were kids and I don't think that's a bad thing.

And isn't Stingray recovering from almost dying? Plus, I imagine you can make the case that the Avengers are worried that other aquatic characters-which there aren't a ton of to begin with-might side with Namor. So why not bring in someone completely different and who Namor wouldn't expect?
    Exactly this. To help sell Namor's new attitude, he had to attack someone traditionally known as a hero and a close friend. That was Stingray (who is still alive and recovering, much to Aaron's credit for not just easily killing him off). After that, Marvel's aquatic heroes are either Namor's relatives or are part of his new regime (like Andromeda). Unless Aaron wants to resurrect Fishboy from the X-Men, there aren't too many heroes left who fit the traditional "underwater hero" bill.

On a side note, if Agents of Wakanda becomes a legit thing, I think Jameson absolutely has to remain part of the line up. The fact that Aaron's using him and the Star-Wolf persona as part of a team like this is totally unexpected and so effing great. He might as well just name the team Untapped Potential.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

It IS a bad thing when said writers trash other characters to make their favorites look good.

Because it is completely beyond the realm of possibility that a non-enhanced human being with zero gear can dive deep enough and stay underwater long enough and survive freezing temperatures to even reach Atlantis, much less 'infilitrate' it without being noticed and assess it's military capabilities, and, oh, fight a giant piranha monster.

It's like having the Blob secretly infilitrate Wakanda, creep into Black Panther's bed room unseen, and steal his underwear ... WHILE HE'S WEARING THEM.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 01-11-2019 at 01:18 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Extraordinary Member

Aaron could use Shark Girl, also from the X-Men. The issue is that she's a teenage girl and Namor has proven that he's dangerous because, yes, Stingray was a friend anyways. And given the X-Men's already complicated history with Namor, it just seems easier to let them stay out of it.

Also, this vampire civil war has me think, are we going to see Deadpool's ex, Shiklah? She was going out with Dracula last time we saw her.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    It IS a bad thing when said writers trash other characters to make their favorites look good.

Because it is completely beyond the realm of possibility that a non-enhanced human being with zero gear can dive deep enough and stay underwater long enough and survive freezing temperatures to even reach Atlantis, much less 'infilitrate' it without being noticed and assess it's military capabilities, and, oh, fight a giant piranha monster.

It's like having the Blob secretly infilitrate Wakanda, creep into Black Panther's bed room unseen, and steal his underwear ... WHILE HE'S WEARING THEM.
    Who is Aaron trashing? As I just saif, there aren't a ton of characters Aaron can use. Marvel doesn't have a huge roster of aquatic characters who aren't in some way connected with Namor. And to Aaron's credit, he didn't murder Stingray, but he did take him out of commission. And of course Namor is going to kick Stingray's ass. That's just how things should be.

And yes, it is improbable that Ka-Zar would be able to survive all that, but it's improbable that Ka-Zar would be able to survive a lot of things.

Those vampires shouldn't be able to survive in space, Man Wolf isn't even wearing a oxygen mask, and there's probably a dozen other things that don't make sense.

So that the Celestial aka Avengers HQ is definitely going to become an Avenger at some point.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Thriving in extreme natural environments is the entire purpose of Ka-Zar. If you can't believe that he could spy, not engage -- spy on post-Celestial crash Atlantis, then you also can't believe that he spends most of his time fighting dinosaurs with a knife. But he can and he does.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Thor #8 acts as an excellent jumping on point if you change your mind.
    It's not so much changing my mind so much as wanting to read it all together (going back to Kieron Gillen's run). I'll also add that I can't really afford the book right now. I pretty much need to drop one book as is since I'm thinking of picking up Invaders.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Who is Aaron trashing?.
    Ask again after he finally uses the Squadron Supreme.