Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

What are some good Simon/Wonder Man stories to catch up on?

I loved how Busiek wrote him, at least during the early part of his run, but I lost track of Simon circa the Kang Dynasty storyline.

I'll go ahead and say that the idea of what Bendis did to Simon isn't appealing so...don't bother mentioning that, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    What are some good Simon/Wonder Man stories to catch up on?

I loved how Busiek wrote him, at least during the early part of his run, but I lost track of Simon circa the Kang Dynasty storyline.

I'll go ahead and say that the idea of what Bendis did to Simon isn't appealing so...don't bother mentioning that, LOL.
    Ah, a man of good taste.

Peace

I'm with you there. I was so happy to see at the end of his solo series that he was developing new powers and confidence. The writer said they killed him to as a shock move to get people's attention. All they did was kill the books momentum before it even started any. I thought it was going to be temporary but boy was I wrong. It took four years before Busiek corrected that HUGE mistake.

Other than the Avengers No Surrender #686, Marvel has done nothing with WM and this pacifist crap. We want heroes to fight. Period
    I'm happy to see him back in comics but the way they draw him in the Journey books is ridiculous. He's always been a muscular powerhouse but now he looks skinny. WM weighs 380pounds!
    Marvel, STOP! for Stan's sake!

Quote Originally Posted by 1stOneHere View Post
    I'm with you there. I was so happy to see at the end of his solo series that he was developing new powers and confidence. The writer said they killed him to as a shock move to get people's attention. All they did was kill the books momentum before it even started any. I thought it was going to be temporary but boy was I wrong. It took four years before Busiek corrected that HUGE mistake.
    Exactly. It's like someone let the air out of a balloon at a birthday party. That's how deflated the whole thing felt after all was said and done.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 05-12-2019 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Corrected grammatical errors.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1stOneHere View Post
    Other than the Avengers No Surrender #686, Marvel has done nothing with WM and this pacifist crap. We want heroes to fight. Period
    I'm happy to see him back in comics but the way they draw him in the Journey books is ridiculous. He's always been a muscular powerhouse but now he looks skinny. WM weighs 380pounds!
    Marvel, STOP! for Stan's sake!
    The pacifist thing is just annoying. Maybe if it was more trying to avoid the fight at all cost....and only throwing fists if absolutely necessary.

Are Simon's powers the same, now that he is deflated? Is he just as strong and durable? Was this deflation from when Rogue absorbed him?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Are Simon's powers the same, now that he is deflated? Is he just as strong and durable? Was this deflation from when Rogue absorbed him?
    There has been no change to his powers. The "deflation" is just down to the artistic licence -- its just how this particular artist draws him. He draws Balder and Thor with similar builds too. The only character who really looks especially muscular is Ares.

Incredible Member

I can't help but wonder if he's really just a coward. Would certainly make way for interesting mini, have him, team up with some sort of hero who only knows the warrior way and calls him out.
    If he really did want to be a passivist it would also be interesting if he found a way to possibly pass on his powers to someone else since he's not using them.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
    I can't help but wonder if he's really just a coward. Would certainly make way for interesting mini, have him, team up with some sort of hero who only knows the warrior way and calls him out.
    If he really did want to be a passivist it would also be interesting if he found a way to possibly pass on his powers to someone else since he's not using them.
    In spite of the period where Simon did struggle with a fear of death after his own first experience dying, I don't think there's much to support the idea of him being a coward. He's put his life on the line too many times for that to really seem plausible at this point.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    In spite of the period where Simon did struggle with a fear of death after his own first experience dying, I don't think there's much to support the idea of him being a coward. He's put his life on the line too many times for that to really seem plausible at this point.
    That's the thing he's come close to dying a lot, there's only so many times it can happen before you come to terms with it.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

In case anyone missed it, Brian Cronin's got a new article on the main site discussing Simon's second death...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Thanks, that one slipped by me. I've noticed that Brian Cronin has done multiple articles on Wonder Man over the last 6 months. he seems to be running a one man fight to give Simon Williams some much needed attention. He gets it and I thank him for his efforts. He is giving the much maligned character a spotlight for the faithful fans, as well as for people that know little to nothing about Wonder Man.
    Great job Brian. Keep up the good work.
    Last edited by 1stOneHere; 05-15-2019 at 06:17 AM.

I thought the pacifist stuff would come to a head in the No Surrender book. They had the perfect opportunity when Wonder Man had the showdown with Challenger. He tells Challenger that he'll have to go through him and then lets Challenger hit him with a potentially lethal blow. Challenger was there to destroy the earth along with all of his friends and family and Wonder Man still doesn't snap? It makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    In case anyone missed it, Brian Cronin's got a new article on the main site discussing Simon's second death...
    Thanks, that one slipped by me. I've noticed that Brian Cronin has done multiple articles on Wonder Man over the last 6 months. he seems to be running a one man fight to give Simon Williams some much needed attention. He gets it and I thank him for his efforts. He is giving the much maligned character a spotlight for the faithful fans, as well as for people that know little to nothing about Wonder Man.
    Great job Brian. Keep up the good work.