Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    i wish he was joking. but he's not.
    I'm legitimately surprised that no one in the Bakiverse has fired ki blasts yet. It would certainly wouldn't be less absurd than a dead swordman's spirit inhabiting and possessing his own clone or a caveman.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    I'm legitimately surprised that no one in the Bakiverse has fired ki blasts yet. It would certainly wouldn't be less absurd than a dead swordman's spirit inhabiting and possessing his own clone or a caveman.
    It would go against the manga's premise of 'Raw Strength Over Everything'.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    There's also stuff like ... this.

They put bodybuilder Sergio Oliva in an Anime?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    It would go against the manga's premise of 'Raw Strength Over Everything'.
    IIRC that was sort of the point in the first arc or so wasn't it ?

All the dangerous fighters with gimmicks, getting just out punched in the end. Specifically in the case of Mr. Dorian. Though even still ... Dorian was the one who punched his way through the rock wall IIRC so even he had a measure of prowess. Just didn't matter much in the end, against Doppo.
    Last edited by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh; 10-02-2019 at 08:17 PM.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

All the dangerous fighters with gimmicks, getting just out punched in the end. Specifically in the case of Mr. Dorian.
    well he was actually pretty damned skilled. it's just that he hid it out behind those gimmicks.

well he was actually pretty damned skilled. it's just that he hid it out behind those gimmicks.
    Mm, not quite. It was pointed out that his focus on dozens and dozens of styles made him ultimately useless against someone like Doppo, who had spent his whole life perfecting a single style. To the point where he could outfight Dorian while mind whammied to the point where he didn't even know he was fighting Dorian.

... Though I might be mixing up the rock wall feat. Been a hot minute.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Mm, not quite. It was pointed out that his focus on dozens and dozens of styles made him ultimately useless against someone like Doppo, who had spent his whole life perfecting a single style. To the point where he could outfight Dorian while mind whammied to the point where he didn't even know he was fighting Dorian.

... Though I might be mixing up the rock wall feat. Been a hot minute.
    the fact that he was a kaioh showed that the dude had legit skills, at least in kung fu.

also, i interpreted that scene as doppo having a perfect image of how strong dorian was, as opposed to kaido who imagined dorian being way weaker than he really was.

I just wanted to say that Speck was my favorite of the convicts. His fight with Hanayama was amazing.

Back to Yujiro.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

the fact that he was a kaioh showed that the dude had legit skills, at least in kung fu.

also, i interpreted that scene as doppo having a perfect image of how strong dorian was, as opposed to kaido who imagined dorian being way weaker than he really was.
    That's fair, it was his ideal match, but that he trounced him so completely while mindwhammied even fighting him at his absolute strongest was ... sorta the point. Of course, Dorian blows his face off with a hand grenade later ... though that only makes Doppo him angry.

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    I just wanted to say that Speck was my favorite of the convicts. His fight with Hanayama was amazing.

Back to Yujiro.
    But yea, it's a testament to how crazy Yujiro is when "these really crazy martial artists would get absolutely destroyed by Yujiro" is a legit thing.

Arx Inosaan

don't get me started with that punk. :P
    I actually rather like him.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FistofIron View Post
    I actually rather like him.
    I don't mind Sukune either but I do wish Itagaki would stop just burying his established cast to make the new guys look strong.

Like I'm fairly indifferent on Oliva as a character but I did not like how he got obliterated by Sukune in such a fashion. The dude is meant to be like in the top five most dangerous guys on the planet and he just got wasted like it was nothing.

Nobody likes squash matches. They aren't good for narrative.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

It really seems to continue through the entire series. :P
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Movie Ryu has also blocked bullets. With his face. Intentionally for the fear factor.

And it's not like his face was covered in protective muscle. The bullets bounced off the bridge of his nose without a scratch iirc.

He's also jumped hundreds of feet through the air, shattered the ground with his punches and outrun a jetpack on foot. He's punched armored goons so hard that his fist imprint was left on their opposite sides in said armor.

Worth noting he was Evil Ryu when he did that.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post

Worth noting he was Evil Ryu when he did that.
    Yeeeaahh but in the movies that's not a separate character. More like, just a thing he can do.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure