Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Note I said pre marriage first 5 years. In most continuities the JLA forms in Supes first or second year. Doomsday happens in year 4 or 5. Again not that complicated. It's just all compressed.
    Wonder Woman's debut is set 10 years ago. I guessed she'll be still a forming member of the League.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    You know this means Convergence didn't happen right? Jon was born in the Fortress, and everyone at the Daily Planet has known him since he was a baby. All just like I imagined it would. This also retcons why they were in Hamilton.

It's akin to Wally West integrating with the New 52. However, like we both postulated, Superman is gaining something that looks more like his Pre-52 stuff.

REALLY glad to see the old foes back
    Eh. I guess we'll have to see what the reason they were in Hamilton was. Maybe they'll still remember THINKING they were time refugees. This does seem like it ties into the larger Rebirth mystery. And maybe Superman still hung onto memories that the rest of the DCU also lost. I hope he still remembers the original JLA and the Silver Age stuff that he was referencing at dinner with Bruce and Diana. I mean, Hitch wouldn't give us an issue where Clark basically talks about his League, recounting important stories like Tower of Babel and the like, only to have that not play into what eventually goes on with Rebirth, right?

spoilers:
    I'm just happy that it seems like Pre-Flashpoint at least seems to be the controlling continuity for Superman. From the image, it looks like Secret Origin, Death of Superman, Reign of the Supermen, the Wedding Album, Our Worlds at War, Brainiac, etc. are all back in canon. Hopefully, we'll also see that this means that more of Pre-Flashpoint stuff from the 2000s onwards is canon again as well. I'm especially hoping to see Action 775 and President Luthor and Loeb's early Superman/Batman stuff worked back in as well.

As for Jon, it looks like he'll be folded in in an OMD-type retcon (i.e. the stories still happened the same and he was chilling in the background)
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 03-20-2017 at 06:55 PM.

Note I said pre marriage first 5 years. In most continuities the JLA forms in Supes first or second year. Doomsday happens in year 4 or 5. Again not that complicated. It's just all compressed.
    right basically what we're getting is the same type of soft reboot that GL and Batman got in the new 52 (I expect Flash to follow suit, it's already began with the returns of Wally, Jay and Eobard). Their classic histories are more or less intact, just maybe compressed a bit. Only this time it's easier to swallow without the 5 year timeline thing. I also expect Lois and Clark to be de-aged a bit, not as young as their N52 selves, but probably back in their mid-thirties, having had Jon considerably earlier in their lives than before.
    Last edited by FishyZombie; 03-20-2017 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    It is a concern, that feeling again of so much being up in the air. But on the plus side, time refugee is dead. That more than makes up for it. As for clarifying the new timeline, one can only hope this can be a rare instance where DC learns a lesson, and looks back to the 2000s and realizes they can't leave things in flux for as long as they did back then.
    I don't think that they've learned from their past mistakes, or they wouldn't make such a big retcon just to put a kid in the main continuity.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Ugh, I feel like we went back to the post-Infinite Crisis era wondering what is canon and what not and how everything fit with the rest.
    Well, at least there is a continiuity. Besides, did we ever get an idea what happened in the " missing" 5 years of the New 52 in regards to Supes? Did they ever even settle whether Doomsday killed him? What about Luthor and his scarred face? How about when he got the crystal Fortress and how? Should I go on?

It was so vague and undefined that as long as it didn't refer to the marriage to Lois and her knowing the ID , it's possible most of the same things happened.

Also the difference here is we know more about Post Reborn Superman's time line from that one sequence than we knew about Supes history starting around 2004 onward.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Well, at least there is a continiuity. Besides, did we ever get an idea what happened in the " missing" 5 years of the New 52 in regards to Supes? Did they ever even settle whether Doomsday killed him? What about Luthor and his scarred face? How about when he got the crystal Fortress and how? Should I go on?

It was so vague and undefined that as long as it didn't refer to the marriage to Lois and her knowing the ID , it's possible most of the same things happened.

Also the difference here is we know more about Post Reborn Superman's time line from that one sequence than we knew about Supes history starting around 2004 onward.
    Man, it's a frankenstein monster of continuity. I already see another Zero-Hour coming.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Secret Origin is not cemented. For one, Jor-El looks younger. He has black hair and a beard, not white. Otherwise yes, the imagery is more Donner/Johns than Morrison from the one panel, but its hardly a cementing. In fact the text within the collage drives down HARD that its one big merger of New 52 and post-Crisis. So Secret Origin is not the origin verbatim by any stretch.

Yes this probably means we'll get another retelling eventually.
    Given that Johns reportedly co-plotted this event, it seems as though that would mean that Secret Origin is canon again.

spoilers:
    Jor El and Lara have the exact same design as they did in Secret Origin. Metallo, in the rogues gallery line up looks exactly as he did in Secret Origin. The rocket is identical to the rocket in SO. There's also that panel with Clark and Lana walking right past Lex in the hallway at their school. Jor El having black hair doesn't change that. Its at most, an update of his age, at least its a cosmetic error by Mahnke.
    end of spoilers

You know the New 52 was supposed to be a new start I guess this is just Karma because of poor planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Given that Johns reportedly co-plotted this event, it seems as though that would mean that Secret Origin is canon again.

spoilers:
    Jor El and Lara have the exact same design as they did in Secret Origin. Metallo, in the rogues gallery line up looks exactly as he did in Secret Origin. The rocket is identical to the rocket in SO. There's also that panel with Clark and Lana walking right past Lex in the hallway at their school. Jor El having black hair doesn't change that. Its at most, an update of his age, at least its a cosmetic error by Mahnke.
    end of spoilers
    God I hope not. Is not that SO was bad for me, it's just it was meh. Birthright and Men Of Steel is better imop

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    You know the New 52 was supposed to be a new start I guess this is just Karma because of poor planning.
    Don't worry, they'll tweak everything again in a few years. That's how Superman works since 2000s.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Don't worry, they'll tweak everything again in a few years. That's how Superman works since 2000s.
    DC comics sucks. Seriously they do. I wish they didn't have the rights to Superman.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Eh. I guess we'll have to see what the reason they were in Hamilton was. Maybe they'll still remember THINKING they were time refugees. This does seem like it ties into the larger Rebirth mystery.
    But the actual facts will be that they were not. It's also seems as if though there were never two Supermen or Lois' in this timeline. It seems to go at a constant stream. Their reasons for moving upstate likely changed if there were not two Supermen, if Jon was born on Earth/everyone knows he's Lois and Clark's son (told ya), and they never went away.

I just wonder how they'll do it. I mean, the retcons are pretty darn big as we can see. Jon being born on Earth changes everything.

I mean, Hitch wouldn't give us an issue where Clark basically talks about his League, recounting important stories like Tower of Babel and the like, only to have that not play into what eventually goes on with Rebirth, right?
    He would if the goal was to show contrast between the Supermen's leagues and lives. But now, some of those memories have made it into the New 52, so they're valid. Though I still doubt the Silver age JLA is in continuity. They seem pretty set on mirroring the movies by having Cyborg on the team.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 03-20-2017 at 07:01 PM.

Am I missing something? People are acting as if there's been some sort of compromise, but the splash page seems to be entirely Post-Crisis to me.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    God I hope not. Is not that SO was bad for me, it's just it was meh. Birthright and Men Of Steel is better imop
    I wouldn't mind Birthright myself, but, it does look like Secret Origin is the one they're going with.

Quote Originally Posted by MeloDet View Post
    Am I missing something? People are acting as if there's been some sort of compromise, but the splash page seems to be entirely Post-Crisis to me.
    That's exactly why. And if you are going to go full PC, why do you include Ulysses? Dude was nothing special.