Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    BANNED

I doubt any will get a book but the Jsa.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    Writers and editors are the same now as they've ever been, so if you trusted them before there's no reason not to trust them now.
    I don't know about that. Writers maybe but Editors today are no where close to what Editors were like in the old days. If that were the case DC would be a well run, well oiled machine and it is anything but.
    Last edited by Lexrules; 12-16-2014 at 02:33 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gordonstar View Post
    I'll take it.

There's a lot of creators who sincerely get the characters.
    But unfortunately most of them have been run off because they don't get the character the way DC wants them to.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by FishboneX View Post
    yes, i'm sure they would do just as good and I am also sure that people would find reasons to complain about that move as well.
    Truth.
    (this site really need a rep system)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    There's a lot of creators who sincerely get the characters.
    But unfortunately most of them have been run off because they don't get the character the way DC wants them to.
    true story, so many good creators that went out in bad terms with DC

By and large the writers today are the same ones that were writing the classic versions before the reboot, so the question itself doesn't make much sense. I don't see how there's any sense of unknown or mystery about the capability. Of course they could do it.

All that said though, I don't see it happening anyway. I see maybe a couple bottled worlds surviving, with the possibility to go back there at any time they wish, but not something that will be focused on to any real degree.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-16-2014 at 04:18 PM.

Agreed with the general sentiment; the writers who are at DC are largely fine, and many of them have worked for DC for years.

Editorial, well, it's largely the same thing actually. Many of the current editors were editors a decade ago, or otherwise involved in the company anyway. Im not a fan of the way DC runs its business, but by and large the workforce seems the same.

Would I trust DC to go back in time and really spend some effort on various Elseworld realities and past histories? My answer remains the same as it would have been ten or twenty years ago; it depends on who's involved. DC has some great talent, and some bad talent, and lots of talent in between who can be amazing or terrible depending on the project in question.

I will say I would not be overly excited for any "DC's Past" titles, unless it's a return to the Golden Age pulp/noir stuff, or taking the old characters and spinning them into something totally new, like a team that protects the multiverse made up of various versions of different characters. I respect the past, but I dont want to live there. Not unless its a really good creative team with a good hook anyway.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Well for DC editors go into past and live there is ok.

I don't want to live in the past, But I want stories with recognizable characters not what Dc want to feed me.
    At the end of the day the stories will happen in the present not in the past, new doesn't mean better. So yeah I won't be living on the past more than anyone reading new 52
    Last edited by Blacksun; 12-16-2014 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    I don't know about that. Writers maybe but Editors today are no where close to what Editors were like in the old days. If that were the case DC would be a well run, well oiled machine and it is anything but.
    So you'd like a return to the Jim Shooter days? The most hated editor probably ever?

The only reason we hear about all these editorial "problems" is the internet rumour mill. Back in, say, the '80s, there was no way of telling if a comic company was a "well-oiled machine" or not because where would you hear about it? The letters page? It's only years later we hear about the horror of working under the likes of Shooter or Weisinger. The latter didn't even let writers come up with their own plots.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    Well for DC editors go into past and live there is ok.

I don't want to live in the past, But I want stories with recognizable characters not what Dc want to feed me.
    At the end of the day the stories will happen in the present not in the past, new doesn't mean better. So yeah I won't be living on the past more than anyone reading new 52
    Any time you've ever read a DC comic in your life you've read what DC wanted to feed you.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    Any time you've ever read a DC comic in your life you've read what DC wanted to feed you.
    Reminds me a great line from a Tool song; "I sold long before you even heard my name."

I dont get why some people think DC works like a creator owned company. They are not. Writers only have as much freedom as their editors and group editors allow them. The editors only have as much freedom as their managers allow them. Those managers are only allowed as much freedom as their boss allows, and that boss still has to answer to the people at WB, who see DC's comics division as nothing more than placeholders for IP's and a cheap way to maintain copyright and trademarks.

Actually, there's more links in the chain, but the point stands.

This is why Image and IDW and Dark Horse are creeping up the market; they dont control the big names everyone loves, like Batman and Spider-Man, but they get to tell good stories without having to worry about art by committee.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Reminds me a great line from a Tool song; "I sold long before you even heard my name."

I dont get why some people think DC works like a creator owned company. They are not. Writers only have as much freedom as their editors and group editors allow them. The editors only have as much freedom as their managers allow them. Those managers are only allowed as much freedom as their boss allows, and that boss still has to answer to the people at WB, who see DC's comics division as nothing more than placeholders for IP's and a cheap way to maintain copyright and trademarks.

Actually, there's more links in the chain, but the point stands.

This is why Image and IDW and Dark Horse are creeping up the market; they dont control the big names everyone loves, like Batman and Spider-Man, but they get to tell good stories without having to worry about art by committee.
    Agreed.

And how many of us would actually like the end product if DC were to allow more freedom for writers? (Of course, the quality of each title might improve, but the characters might be a lot different from the versions people love).

Our favorite characters might behave differently (people already complain about characters being different from Pre-52).

The closest thing DC can do is Else-worlds Stories (which are great by the way. Injustice is an example. But, there are a lot of people who don't like Injustice's portrayal of Superman...imagine if we had that type of radical changes in the main continuity?).
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordonstar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    I'll take it.
    Likewise. That said, I don’t see a pre-Flashpoint JSA title being any more likely than a pre-Flashpoint Titans title. If either (or both, or a hybrid of the two, etc.) were to happen, I’d be much more concerned about the editors than the writers — not so much because the editors are necessarily bad, but rather because the current editors are the same ones who ran the pre-Flashpoint continuity into the ground.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevanjacobjohn View Post
    Agreed.

And how many of us would actually like the end product if DC were to allow more freedom for writers? (Of course, the quality of each title might improve, but the characters might be a lot different from the versions people love).

Our favorite characters might behave differently (people already complain about characters being different from Pre-52).

The closest thing DC can do is Else-worlds Stories (which are great by the way. Injustice is an example. But, there are a lot of people who don't like Injustice's portrayal of Superman...imagine if we had that type of radical changes in the main continuity?).
    You know, my absolute favorite comic is Invincible. I wont hear a negative word about it (well, maybe that it reads better in trade, because it does) and I've followed it for years. But if, say, Superman went through some changes as drastic and radical as what Mark Grayson has? I would be less than pleased. I want my DC (and Marvel) characters to grow and expand organically and not be chained to a status quo that was established in the 1950's, but some changes just cross the line you know? I want growth and change and ramifications, but I want the characters to still be recognizable. Which is a really difficult, perhaps even impossible, balance to maintain.

Perfect example is that writer who wanted to cut off Superman's arm and replace it with cybernetics. Everyone was pretty damned happy that there was an editor to shoot that idea down.

~ Black Panther.