Amazing Spider-Man Masterworks Vol 23 in Nov 2021

Fantastic Four Masterworks Vol 23 in Dec 2021

Iron Man Masterworks Vol 14 in Dec 2021

Venom by Donnie Cates Vol 3 OHC in Nov 2021

Fantastic Four by Dan Slott Vol 2 OHC in Dec 2021

X-Men by Hickman Vol 1 OHC in Dec 2021

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Victor_Von_Doom View Post
    That's part of what I'm referring to. He doesn't seem like he's even into reading them and he buys things that he clearly has no interest in or intention of reading. I don't have the time to read all the stuff I have but these things sell out in part, I'm sure, because people like him are buying stuff they won't even read but just "have to" have it because it's an omnibus and consider themselves "omnibus collectors" in "the omnibus game" instead of just being fans of the stories. Also how he just switches his hobbies every couple years or so. He was doing CGC slabs or whatever, then he was doing statues that he kept for a short time, then got rid of those, now he's got arcade games he probably doesn't play, in addition to a collection he apparently barely reads.

It's ultimately his choice and his right, but i imagine I'm far from the only person to think this way because of it.

I'm not saying he doesn't like comics at all, I just think he is more about the appearance of everything, both to himself and to others, than he is about actually enjoying what he has.
    I have no idea who this guy is and have never seen one of his videos, but I'm already annoyed! Lol
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by MagpieMad View Post
    I far prefer NMC, but it's a bit unfair to call Gem Mint disingenuous. He did a video a while back where he actually went through his collection book by book and tallied which he'd read. His read total was below half, but he was at least honest about it.
    I have probably only read around 25 % of my current collection, maybe even less. But that's because I can't keep up with all the books I really want to read (and often sell off books I read but don't like). Doesn't make me any less of a fan, I'd say.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I didn't read any of the Dan Slott IM in monthly format.
    The Omnibus is next week.

Thoughts on the content? Any of it currently relevant?
    I wasn't too impressed. It's very busy, a lot going on but ultimately not too much happens. Stark creating a new product for the world, kind of Superior Iron Man and Amazing Spider-Man Worldwide (also by Slott) meshed together. If you like a lot of tech/gaming stuff and Machine Man and Jocasta, it may be for you. I didn't take to it.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hive View Post
    I have probably only read around 25 % of my current collection, maybe even less. But that's because I can't keep up with all the books I really want to read (and often sell off books I read but don't like). Doesn't make me any less of a fan, I'd say.
    My post was written in response to Victor_Von_Doom's, in which he shared his opinion that Gem Mint "seems very disingenuous and more into just having things rather than enjoying the things." I was pointing out that Gem Mint was honest about not having read most of his collection, which means he's not being disingenuous. I was actually defending him, not criticising.

I don't really understand how you took my defence of Gem Mint as a criticism and ignored the comment it was in response to. I also didn't imply he's less of a fan, before the fist lockdown I'd read less than half of my collection too!

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    I wasn't too impressed. It's very busy, a lot going on but ultimately not too much happens. Stark creating a new product for the world, kind of Superior Iron Man and Amazing Spider-Man Worldwide (also by Slott) meshed together. If you like a lot of tech/gaming stuff and Machine Man and Jocasta, it may be for you. I didn't take to it.
    Agreed. The only thing that would really possibly be relevant and used later by other writers is Tony's relationship with his birth mother gets expanded on (that whole plot point started back in Bendis' run) and Tony's dealings with his brother Arno. All the other Jocasta/Machine Man "do machines have souls?" stuff was okay, but nothing memorable. Coming from a big Iron Man comics fan, I'm not getting the omni. Not that it tells you much, but I'm not a fairweather fan, I just know I will probably never read it, so I'm not buying it. I have plenty of other books to read in front of it (including many other IM books). Now Slott's FF run? That is great stuff. But his IM is just so-so; not terrible but nothing memorable.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

My post was written in response to Victor_Von_Doom's, in which he shared his opinion that Gem Mint "seems very disingenuous and more into just having things rather than enjoying the things." I was pointing out that Gem Mint was honest about not having read most of his collection, which means he's not being disingenuous. I was actually defending him, not criticising.

I don't really understand how you took my defence of Gem Mint as a criticism and ignored the comment it was in response to. I also didn't imply he's less of a fan, before the fist lockdown I'd read less than half of my collection too!
    Oh sorry, my comment wasn't meant as a response to your comment - but rather as an addendum to it. I think we're on the same page.

Spectacular Member

Oh Your message makes a lot more sense to me now. Sorry about jumping to the wrong conclusion!

Oh Your message makes a lot more sense to me now. Sorry about jumping to the wrong conclusion!
    No worries, I could have made my intention more clear.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Oh sorry, my comment wasn't meant as a response to your comment - but rather as an addendum to it. I think we're on the same page.
    No worries, I could have made my intention more clear.
    And this is why Collected & Classics is the best forum on CBR!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    New releases announced: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=442K6ueQ15A

Warlock by Jim Starlin Gallery Edition in Dec 2021

Savage Sword Of Conan omnibus Vol 6 in Nov 2021

Amazing Spider-Man Masterworks Vol 23 in Nov 2021

Fantastic Four Masterworks Vol 23 in Dec 2021

Iron Man Masterworks Vol 14 in Dec 2021

Venom by Donnie Cates Vol 3 OHC in Nov 2021

Fantastic Four by Dan Slott Vol 2 OHC in Dec 2021

X-Men by Hickman Vol 1 OHC in Dec 2021
    And NearMint have just posted an advance look at the covers for most of these - https://twitter.com/NearMintCon/stat...43246039539725

And the fourth image

Nothing posted yet for the second Dan Slott FF cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Exactly. I also ordered THAT cover and now we're getting something on par with the Std Conan the Barbarian Omnibus Vol. 1 opera cover. I know it's the content that counts but man, that originally solicited cover was gorgeous whereas the "new" one is just several classes below. I also thought it could be something to do with artist/rights.
    That's a bit harsh. Nothing is on par with the Std Conan the Barbarian Omnibus Vol. 1 opera cover. ;-)

I love that classic ASM Hobgoblin cover.

Whew, my UXM vol.4 and Claremont/Lee vol.2 omnis finally got "picked & scanned", had them in the same order. I was sweating about possibly not getting the UXM omni cause I might've preordered too late.