Page 58 of 110 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Why was Doom cancelled? It was Eisner nominated, I don't get the reasoning behind it.
    Because Cantwell took over Iron Man?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Because Cantwell took over Iron Man?
    I'm really not sure why the Doom series, an Eisner-nominated book for new series got canceled. I read an interview in November 2020 where Cantwell said he wrote the last 2 issues a long time ago. I have no idea what the sales were after the pandemic closed things down. Another thing that hurt the book was that it was one of the last series to return to publication. It's last issue was in March and then even though Cantwell was finished with the final issues, it wasn't brought back until September. Issue #6 in March had estimated sales of 32,000 (Comicchron estimate) and was ranked 49 by Diamond. I never saw any stats published when the comic returned that fall.

Cantwell did have a second arc worked out. IIRC when the Doom series was announced at SDCC it was to be an ongoing series. I guess the pandemic might have changed all that.

I would've loved to have done a second arc.... my idea for a second arc was: Doom has a stroke in the first issue, and becomes somewhat incapacitated for a while, leaving his rule vulnerable again.

But, and I kid you not, as Doom reflects on his own mortality, he was going to hire / kidnap the greatest living Latverian music composer and force her to write an opera that was to be the history of Latveria's (and thusly his) glory. But as it gets written Doom begins to reflect on (actual) things he did in his past that weren't so great. So at times he rewrites them to make himself look better and at others he lays it all bare and raw.

It was going to be written entirely from the perspective of the composer. The structure of it came from the film Amadeus, where Salieri is desperately trying to keep up with a dying Mozart as he writes the Requiem.
    I don't know why Marvel can't to get it together with the FF and their supporting cast so that they have a larger footprint in the MU. More guest appearances and mini series would help.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 06-14-2021 at 01:57 PM.

Val didn't even get to go to the wedding? That's lame, hopefully they are throwing an intergalactic kegger at the Baxter building but I doubt because this run sucks.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

This was just announced:

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Thoughts on the Englehart run? I’m about to start reading it.

Extraordinary Member

Good old Namor with the perfect response to the news....

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Thoughts on the Englehart run? I’m about to start reading it.
    Oh boy. Definitely not a favorite of mine. But it has been a while and I seldom read any issue more than once. Off the top of my head....I really don't like how the dynamic was within the team. Crystal had just been divorced or separated from Quicksilver and it seems to me Ben picked her for the team just to get back at Johnny for marrying Alicia. Englehart brings his pet character for a thankfully brief appearance. Reed and Sue briefly left the team but come back rather quickly. I think something went screwy editorially. IIrC Reed and Sue were supposed to join the Avengers but that got some kind of editorial override I might be wrong about that. The FF get placed in some kind of dream state and weird s**t happens..... Sue and Crystal get into a hair pulling cat fight It had the strangest ending I can ever recall where Englehart appears at the end and makes some kind of odd statement about his writing. Only he uses his pen name that he switched to of Jonathan Harkness.

IF anyone is interested I have a separate thread for FF #33. For what it's worth, spoilers will be allowed.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 06-16-2021 at 03:27 PM.

Spectacular Member

I guess spoilers for today's issue ...

spoilers:
    So obviously the wedding didn't happen, like everybody could see from a mile away. Now i just wonder, was it always a trap from Doom or did he just have a hypnosis device at the ready. Was Zora always just (unknowingly) bait here?

Also Johnny prominently wears his Soulmate Band at the wedding, it's in every panel. I wouldn't call it hinting or foreshadowing anymore. It's clear Sky will come to the rescue next issue. Probably to complete the soap opera story arc.
    end of spoilers

BANNED

So is it me or does anyone else find Sky really annoying?
    This character basically just forced herself into Johnny's life, nothing about her is interesting, she just brings unnecessary drama with her, I'm ready for her to go

Quote Originally Posted by Metro View Post
    This character basically just forced herself into Johnny's life, nothing about her is interesting, she just brings unnecessary drama with her, I'm ready for her to go
    Her and Dan Slott with her

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Metro View Post
    Let's not exactly absolve Johnny of any responsibility in all this.

When Sky pulled the whole 'we're soulmates...' thing Johnny wasn't saying 'whoa...hold on there for a minute or three, hot alien chick with the wings...you need to slow your roll aight?'

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Let's not exactly absolve Johnny of any responsibility in all this.

When Sky pulled the whole 'we're soulmates...' thing Johnny wasn't saying 'whoa...hold on there for a minute or three, hot alien chick with the wings...you need to slow your roll aight?'
    There either is, or will be, something up woth Sky and this "soulmates" thing. It could be her or she's being used by her government to spy on the FF. The Reed/Sue link looks like it could be fake evidence to show that the devices work as advertised.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Oh boy. Definitely not a favorite of mine. But it has been a while and I seldom read any issue more than once. Off the top of my head....I really don't like how the dynamic was within the team. Crystal had just been divorced or separated from Quicksilver and it seems to me Ben picked her for the team just to get back at Johnny for marrying Alicia. Englehart brings his pet character for a thankfully brief appearance. Reed and Sue briefly left the team but come back rather quickly. I think something went screwy editorially. IIrC Reed and Sue were supposed to join the Avengers but that got some kind of editorial override I might be wrong about that.
    They DID join the Avengers, but only stayed for four issues.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Avengers_Vol_1_300
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    They DID join the Avengers, but only stayed for four issues.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Avengers_Vol_1_300
    I would love to hear the story of how that all transpired. Clearly they were meant to be Avengers for more than four issues…