Page 118 of 130 FirstFirst ... 1868108114115116117118119120121122128 ... LastLast
Results 1,756 to 1,770 of 1949

Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    What? This means very little. On Krypton, each person submitted DNA and boom, you have a kid. Superman being the first naturally conceived child just means that his parents had sex to have him. Kryptonians just developed a more efficient way to produce children that would take feelings out of it. It wouldn't change their genetics.
    It's also why it was important to mix with the proper house.
    How do you imagine "artificially engineered newborns meant to fill predetermined roles" working without changing genetics?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    He's still listed as a producer on Batwoman, Titans and Doom Patrol. But if it's about "future projects" in particular, he was attached to Shazam 2 but when they announced the Helen Mirren casting, his name wasn't mentioned despite that it was with the previous casting. "Remedial action" perhaps?
    I guess we'll need to see how they handle it moving forward.

I did find it kind of noticeable that they seem to be going in an original direction instead of basing it off Johns' second arc, which seems like the logical progression for the movies, given it seems like Johns only wrote the second arc to give them more material for the movies.

I hardly believe the general audience gave two craps about the adventures of Superman's grandfather. He's a nobody who had zero impact on who or what Superman, himself, became outside of being a genetic donor. The problem with Krypton was here was yet another Superman show with the trappings of Superman, but no Superman.
    The whole point of Krypton was to get the general audience to give quite a lot or craps about Superman's grandfather because he was Superman's grandfather.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Unless casting decisions like this are somehow related to some form of whitewashing, then isn't it a bit odd that producers need to publicly justify not casting actors who they didn't think were right for particular roles, or else they must be racially-motivated. If anything couldn't that end up having the opposite effect of sorts to where it might actually discourage some producers from putting diverse casting on the table more often and instead turn it into a minefield that's better to be avoided, since if a POC doesn't get that role it would always be spun into a racism-based clickbait headline.
    In our current climate I'd say yes. I don't think I've ever read about any producer or director having to justify their casting decisions. In my eyes there's also the added layer of not wanting to admit you messed up and casted a dud. Rege did Bridgerton and is now one of the in demand actors. As long as DnD doesn't turn out to be a turd he's golden. I've read that he's in the mix for James Bond and he's the first actor I thought of when the black Superman movie was announced. Meanwhile Krytons actor hasn't done anything since.

Quote Originally Posted by dornwolf View Post
    In our current climate I'd say yes. I don't think I've ever read about any producer or director having to justify their casting decisions. In my eyes there's also the added layer of not wanting to admit you messed up and casted a dud. Rege did Bridgerton and is now one of the in demand actors. As long as DnD doesn't turn out to be a turd he's golden. I've read that he's in the mix for James Bond and he's the first actor I thought of when the black Superman movie was announced. Meanwhile Krytons actor hasn't done anything since.
    I guess in that respect things worked out well for Rege, although I liked Cameron Cuffe.

SCYFY is pretty low budget and viewed as a geek niche channel and definitely shouldn't be worried about things like continuity or race swapping which in the end the show didn't end up worrying about with zod.
    Methinks Johns was definitely putting his thumbs on the scales for a show that really wasn't worth that
    and subsequently offended a few people in the process which in light of WB moving forward with a Black Superman movie casts his decisions in an even worst light

His PR campaign is also making him look worse and not better

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    He's always identified as Lebanese-American in fairness to him.

That was part of the rationale for his creation of Simon Baz.
    There's a lot to be said for how white-passing members of minority populations get protective of that and can be just as racist as people of European descent. And it still wouldn't make the part of the article that weaponizes Johns' identity against him any less gross.

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    The whole point of Krypton was to get the general audience to give quite a lot or craps about Superman's grandfather because he was Superman's grandfather.
    And guess what? We still don't care.

Black Superman is not fair-skinned.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    How do you imagine "artificially engineered newborns meant to fill predetermined roles" working without changing genetics?
    It's a caste system. Warriors stick with warriors. Political families mix with other political brokers. Working class stick with their own. Every child born to that family goes into the family business.
    There were no designer babies being made to express phenotypic outcomes.

Incredible Member

Black Superman is not fair-skinned.
    Now your just nitpicking.

Now your just nitpicking.
    No, I'm not. Both Val Zod and Calvin Ellis are dark-skinned Black men.
    Should Page's fair skin give him an advantage over darker skinned actors?

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    SCYFY is pretty low budget

SYFY series are not low budget they are average. Probably around $2 million per episode. That's how much Killjoys cost other shows like Supernatural are around the same.

This isn't a super high-end show like the Crown or Game of Thrones that could cost you upwards of 13 million an episode but that wouldn't be considered low budget.

A low budget would be a one-off documentary for $20k or a reality tv show like Catfish or Jersey Shore that's low budget. SyFy shows cost about the same as other network procedurals or older shows like Star Trek (probably a little over $1M per episode back in the day)
    The J-man

No, I'm not. Both Val Zod and Calvin Ellis are dark-skinned Black men.
    Should Page's fair skin give him an advantage over darker skinned actors?
    if you want to go their it historically has in the industry
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    There's a lot to be said for how white-passing members of minority populations get protective of that and can be just as racist as people of European descent. And it still wouldn't make the part of the article that weaponizes Johns' identity against him any less gross.
    Yeah, we can keep laughing at the "he had a black wife before and has an Asian wife and a mixed-race son now" thing and it is funny as hell, but the part that's clearly meant to mock him for requesting them to mention his cultural identity was kind of a low blow. Then look at some of the verbiage used in the article again, such as Johns supposedly doing a "servile posture" to imitate Quasimodo in front of Ray, to which Ray responded that he didn't want to play a "jovial cathedral-cleaning individual". A lot of "servitude" references there. The author didn't even try to hide how obviously they wanted to paint Johns in as bad of a light as they could. Judging by some of his rep's comments, he kind of deserved it, but the piece really wasn't trying to hide the narrative it was aiming to paint about him.
    Last edited by Johnny; 04-08-2021 at 01:03 PM.